Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#324812 - 03/02/05 06:55 PM Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
rwr12179 Offline
Gold Star
Matricular Consular cards are becomming more of an interest to our bank in the past six months, and I was just wondering: Is anyone out there accepting these cards as primary ID, and if so, how do you go about verifying identity? This is an interesting topic, but one i've been stumped on lately. ANY help would be great?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#324813 - 03/02/05 06:58 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
We don't accept them and *so far* haven't had much pressure to.

Return to Top
#324814 - 03/02/05 07:28 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
rwr12179 Offline
Gold Star
Have you heard of any discussions or topics of concern regarding these cards?

Return to Top
#324815 - 03/02/05 07:29 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
There have been prior discussions on BOL.
Try doing a search on it.
We do not accept them.

Return to Top
#324816 - 03/02/05 10:15 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
We don't accept them. I used to have trouble defending that until the local TV station did a report on how they're issued. There was a big traveling "consulate" for the Mexican government setting up in shopping malls around Michigan so the TV news sent an undercover reporter who was born in the USA and had never been to Mexico to see if he could get a card. He took a Mexican atlas and picked the name of a city, told the people his name, DOB and gave the name of that city as his place of birth. All this while speaking perfect English. He showed no ID of any kind and still got his card in under 5 minutes.

They're a joke - and not too funny.

Return to Top
#324817 - 03/02/05 11:02 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Anonymous
Unregistered

I understand that there is no centralized data base of records of issuance and probably could be issued as mentioned above (from the shopping mall). You're pretty much on your own and cannot verify anything on them. We determined early on that we would not accept them.

Return to Top
#324818 - 03/03/05 01:58 AM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Check out HR815. In part it says: A financial institution may not accept any form of identification that was issued by a foreign government, other than a passport, for use in verifying the identity of a person in connection with the opening of an account by such person at the financial institution, including a matricula consular issued in the United States by a duly authorized consular officer of the Government of Mexico.'.

Whether this will pass or not, I don't know. But there is obviously resistance by some. This may or may not influence your decision. But it is certainly a bill you should track. And there are 13 other bills with the words "matricular consular" in them. They may be worth a look-see as well if you decide to go with this or accept them now.

It seems ironic that when I first heard of these they were such a good thing. Police departments loved them, the unbanked became banked, crime was to drop and a huge market demographic seemed available. Now you may be unpatriotic as judged by some if you accept these. HR 815s author, Rep. Garrett said "Every legal non-citizen should possess identity documents issued by the U.S. government, such as a valid visa or a passport. Businesses or communities that accept any other form of ID from legal aliens as valid are turning their back on immigration and our nation's national security."
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#324819 - 03/03/05 01:50 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Matricular Consular Cards slightly more worthless than toilet paper, IMHO...

Return to Top
#324820 - 03/03/05 02:58 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may or may not help, but you might find it interesting.

http://www.sre.gob.mx/phoenix/spanish/servicios/factsheet/matrifactsheet.htm

Return to Top
#324821 - 03/03/05 03:54 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
rwr12179 Offline
Gold Star
All the responses have been pretty much what I expected. They seem to be unverifiable (if that is a word) and flimsy at best when obtaining the "true" identity of a potential customer of the bank. I did find the link to be extremely helpful for just as an FYI for others who venture this thread. Also the HR815, although just a proposal, is good leverage to present to our board as a reason to hold on accepting these ID's. At least as a primary means of identification.

Return to Top
#324822 - 03/03/05 07:48 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
We take them, in fact, we had a representative from the Consular's office come and show us how to spot fakes and she also went over the documents needed to obtain one of these Matriculas. If it's whether they are here legally you are concerned with, that is not taken into consideration in issuing these cards but we don't have to consider immigration status either. In fact, a training session held at the Federal Reserve just last week brought out that very thing.....we do not have to consider immigration status for CIP.

Frankly, I don't see why everyone is so afraid of the Matricula.

Return to Top
#324823 - 03/03/05 09:55 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Assets that go south of the border are kind of difficult to get back...not to mention the extra postage needed to send past due notices to Mexico...

Return to Top
#324824 - 03/03/05 10:52 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not so much as afraid, we would just like to know how to verify these documents. We do the same thing with Social Security cards and Drivers License. How does your institution verify them? Is there a contact to authenticate the ID number on the card?
Thanks for the input, you're a first, I think, in accepting them.

Return to Top
#324825 - 03/03/05 10:55 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
rwr12179 Offline
Gold Star
sorry forgot to register

Return to Top
#324826 - 03/03/05 11:25 PM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
They are not verifiable in any manner. I find it interesting that the counselet rep was showing how to spot a fake. Why worry about a fake when you can get an real one with all the phony unverifiable informatiion on it.

Return to Top
#324827 - 03/04/05 01:31 AM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I heard a well known BSA expert say today, "Anyone who has problems with the Matricula Card isn't really worried about its authenticity. Drivers licenses from several states are no more reliable."

Apparently, there is proposed federal legislation that would require the states to homogenize the issuance and content of drivers licenses.

Return to Top
#324828 - 03/05/05 12:07 AM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#324829 - 03/05/05 02:02 AM Re: Matricular Consular Cards and CIP
Banker Boy Online
Banker Boy
Florida
We accept these cards only if they were issued post-2004. I guess these are considered authentic and reliable.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z