Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#32863 - 09/16/02 02:18 PM Flood Insurance & escrow
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
If a lender has loan programs categorized as Home Equity Lines, Consumer loans and Mortgage loans and escrows for the Mortgage and Consumer loan programs - if it chooses not to escrow for anything on HE Lines (including Flood), is that OK?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#32864 - 09/16/02 02:27 PM Re: Flood Insurance & escrow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, you are only required to escrow for flood insurance if you are escrowing for any other item, 12 CFR 339.5.

If a lender requirees an escrow for taxes insurance premiums, fees or other charges, then it must also escrwo for required flood insurance permiums.

Return to Top
#32865 - 09/16/02 02:27 PM Re: Flood Insurance & escrow
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have always understood that if flood insurance is required and you escrow for anything else, you must escrow for flood. I thought this was applied on a loan by loan basis, not that this standard was applied against a protfolio or product.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#32866 - 09/16/02 02:34 PM Re: Flood Insurance & escrow
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Andy is correct, as usual. You do not have to escrow based on a portfolio classification, only on a loan by loan basis.

If your bank policy requires you to escrow for those loans, then you would have to escrow for flood insurance if necessary.

Bottom line, if you escrow for a specific RE loan then you must escrow for flood insurance if it is required.
Last edited by dpersfull; 09/16/02 06:00 PM.

Return to Top
#32867 - 09/16/02 02:49 PM Re: Flood Insurance & escrow
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
Thanks everyone. It was my gut feeling, but as always - just trying to make sure! My motto "Comply or Die" almost kills me from time to time.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z