Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#33160 - 09/17/02 08:46 PM ACH Origination of Debits
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
I am having a difficult time with the lending area on this issue. Could anyone give me an example of what role your lending department plays with the establishment of an ACH Origination of debits realtionship?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#33161 - 09/17/02 08:50 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The lenders are trained to have the customer sign a document that authorizes us to auto-debit a customer's asset account either at our bank or at another institution. They get the form sign and a copy of a canceled check and viola - there you have it. Of course they get a cross-selling point for the incentive program also. Or are you talking about a commercial ACH relationship??

Return to Top
#33162 - 09/17/02 08:55 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
Yes, commercial relationships are my focus. Primarily for outgoing payrolls. Another point I'm having trouble with is the point of prefunding. Our lending area says that we shouldn't offer this to any company without prefunding the amount. I don't think this is a competitive approach. Thoughts?

Return to Top
#33163 - 09/17/02 08:57 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
ACH Originations are considered a credit function - the FDIC requires that credit limits be established. I'll have to look up that specific cite for you.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#33164 - 09/17/02 10:05 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Companies are subject to an annual credit review by the lending officer. All ACH limits are approved by the bank's Senior Loan Committee. This is closely monitored by our auditors when we are reviewed.

Return to Top
#33165 - 09/18/02 12:39 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Louvera: I would appreciate any information from FDIC. Thanks

Brenda: How in depth are the credit reviews? Is it based on the type of business and amount requested? Also, it sounds like the lending officer is responsible for this account. Who performs regular monitoring of the deposit side? Is your Senior Loan Committee made up of loan officers or board members?

Return to Top
#33166 - 09/18/02 12:41 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
Sorry, that last annonymous post was mine.

Return to Top
#33167 - 09/18/02 12:58 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Don't forget about the need to implement an annual ACH audit in compliance with NACHA requirements.

Return to Top
#33168 - 09/18/02 08:10 PM Re: ACH Origination of Debits
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Here's a section from the FDIC examination manual:
Funds Transfer System Risk
Growth of the commercial banking industry accompanied by greater customer demand for services has increased the importance of wire transfer.Wire transfer has evolved from the use of elementary Morse code to sophisticated automated switching operations linking the Federal Reserve System with various governmental agencies and commercial banks. Functions of the wire transfer operation include daily funds transfers, securities transaction and the general communication of information.

Banks may effct transfers or related messages by mail, telephone and direct access to several telecommunications systems. The size and complexity of the operation will determine which method the bank uses. Since speed is the primary reason for many wire transfers, mail requests are infrequent. The majority of banks make transfers and execute federal funds transactions over the telephone or teletype since their size and volume doesn't justify maintaining automated systems. However, the tendency to automate the operation is increasing with the advent of inexpensive computer technology.

The large-dollar networks are now an integral part of the payments and clearing mechanism. A variety of networks have been established to provide funds transfer services. They include the Federal Reserve Communications System (FedWire), the Clearing House Payment System(CHIPS)and Automated Clearing House(ACH).

The volume of funds which change hands daily in the U.S. through the electronic funds transfer environment is staggering. Present estimates place this volume at over one trillion dollars. It is therefore readily apparent why the financial institutions involved in those transactions and the regulatory authorities who supervise them are concerned with the quality of internal controls and management's awareness of the inherent risks associated with the various systems.

Risk Management - Errors and omissions and fraudulent alteration of the amount or account number to which the funds are to be deposited could result in a loss to the bank. Costs can include loss of funds, loss of availability of funds, interest charges, and administrative expenses of recovering funds and correcting problems.

Banks are exposed to settlement risk whenever provisional funds are transferred. Provisional funds are irrevocable payments that are subject to final settlement at a later time. Two levels of risk are present:

Credit risk to participating banks whose overdraft payments for customers(including nonsettling respondents) are not covered; and

Systemic risk to network participants when other participants fail to settle. There is no settlement risk to the recepient of a FedWire transfer. However, payments received through CHIPS are provisional and expose the recipients to settlement risk if funds are released prior to final settlement.
Intraday(or daylight) overdraft risk occurs when payments are released in expectation of the future receipt of covering funds. By definition, they represent credit exposures of a very short duration, usually a few hours. Overnight overdrafts result from failure to receive covering funds or intentional extensions of credit. In either case, a bank is exposed to risks resulting from payments made against insufficient funds or credit extensions.

The examination of funds transfer activities is designed to disclose deficiencies in the internal credit and operational controls of participating institutions and to assess the adequacy of the supervision of such activities by the senior managements and board of directors of those institutions.

Management is responsible for assessing the inherent risks in the system, establishing policies and controls to protect the institution against unreasonable exposures, and monitoring the effectiveness of such safeguards. Bank supervisors have the responsibility of seeking to ensure that the financial institutions have evaluated their own risks realistically and have provided for accounting records and internal controls which are adequate to keep the exposures within acceptable limits.

Effective risk management requires that:

An adequate accounting system be in place to determine the extent of any intraday overdrafts and potential overnight overdrafts before releasing payments;

Payments be within established credit limits and that amounts in excess of such limits involving significant credit risk be properly approved by appropriate lending authorities; and

Institutions responsible for settling the position of others assign responsibility at an appropriate supervisory level for monitoring respondents accounts.

To assure that prudent banking services are being followed by banking institutions in their funds transfer activities, examinations should focus with equal emphasis, on the evaluation of credit risks and operational controls. Deficiencies disclosed in either of those areas and suggestions for improvement should be discussed with management and listed in the report of examination. Constructive criticism by the examiners should help the institutions strengthen procedures to minimize risks associated with funds transfer activities. Please refer to the ED module on EFT Risk Assessment for further guidance.

Last Updated 4/30/2002 supervision@fdic.gov

Sitemap | Search | Help | Home
> > > >

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top