Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#333511 - 03/15/05 04:54 PM HMDA Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

For unsecured loans, do we have a duty to determine whether the borrower intends to use the loans for home improvement purposes? Or, can we avoid reporting such loans when we do not know what purpose the loan is for? Thanks.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#333512 - 03/15/05 05:04 PM Re: HMDA Question
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
If it is unsecured and you don't know the purpose, I wouldn't consider that HMDA reportable. It isn't related to real estate in any way is it?

Return to Top
#333513 - 03/15/05 05:10 PM Re: HMDA Question
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Or, can we avoid reporting such loans when we do not know what purpose the loan is for?

Why would you consider making a loan if you don't know what the proceeds are to be used for?

Return to Top
#333514 - 03/15/05 05:59 PM Re: HMDA Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

We do it all the time. I mean, if someone wants a $1000 loan and they credit-qualify, we typically book it. These folks do have good credit to get an unsecured loan, but I am just curious about whether HMDA mandates that we ascertain whether the loan is to improve a home. For example, if someone borrowed $1,000 and credit qualified, we would approve it and that would be it. If, however, that loan was to pay the contractor for installing drywall in the basement, it would likely be a home improvement loan.

Return to Top
#333515 - 03/16/05 09:09 PM Re: HMDA Question
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Reminds me of the banker in a small bank in a state I won't mention, but begins with OK, that told me it wasn't any of his or the other loan officer's business what the borrower was going to do with the money. He just wanted it paid back. I told him he should talk to my client that had that opinion until he lent on a semi and lost it to the Gov. when the customer was busted for hauling drugs in it.

Return to Top
#333516 - 03/16/05 09:14 PM Re: HMDA Question
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Quote:

Reminds me of the banker in a small bank in a state I won't mention, but begins with OK, that told me it wasn't any of his or the other loan officer's business what the borrower was going to do with the money. He just wanted it paid back. I told him he should talk to my client that had that opinion until he lent on a semi and lost it to the Gov. when the customer was busted for hauling drugs in it.

Or the banker who found out too late that the loan was to pay the customer's bankruptcy attorney and filing fees...

Return to Top
#333517 - 03/16/05 09:20 PM Re: HMDA Question
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Or the banker who found out too late that the loan was to pay the customer's bankruptcy attorney and filing fees...

. . . or to pay off his attorney before heading to jail for an extended time.

Return to Top
#333518 - 03/17/05 02:00 AM Re: HMDA Question
Sisyphus Offline
100 Club
Sisyphus
Connecticut
The Bank Secrecy Act requires us to have a purpose statement for loans over $10,000 that are NOT secured by real estate:

"ยง 103.33 Records to be made and retained by financial institutions.

Each financial institution shall retain either the original or a microfilm or other copy or reproduction of each of the following:
(a) A record of each extension of credit in an amount in excess of $10,000, except an extension of credit secured by an interest in real property, which record shall contain the name and address of the person to whom the extension of credit is made, the amount thereof, the nature or purpose thereof, and the date thereof; . . . "

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z