Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#334324 - 03/16/05 03:20 PM UCCs and Truck Bodies
richw Offline
New Poster
PA
When taking truck as collateral I am use to encumbering the title and recording a UCC on the truck body using make, model and serial number. Do others agree it is necessary to file the UCC?

Return to Top
Article 9
#334325 - 03/16/05 03:59 PM Re: UCCs and Truck Bodies
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'd like to hear answering remarks to this questions. We do not file a UCC on the bed also. Doesn't the make, model and serial number on your UCC refer to the chassis, not the truck bed?

The only time we do file a UCC related to trucks is when, as part of the loan, the bed is replaced with a rig or flatbed etc, and we file an all equipment or specific equipment UCC.

Return to Top
#334326 - 03/19/05 04:56 PM Re: UCCs and Truck Bodies
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
When financing tractor trailers we had a title on the truck body and UCC on the trailers. The trailers can be attached to any truck body. The trailers have their own identification numbers and are not titled.

What is required would depend upon the type of truck you are dealing with.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#334327 - 04/04/05 05:21 PM Re: UCCs and Truck Bodies
Anonymous
Unregistered

The legal issue is one of "Accessions", a security interest held in collateral that become part of other collateral. Old law was that the timing of the two security interests determined priority in the whole. New Article 9 (other than for titled vehicles) says ya'all remain perfected to a part when it becomes part of a whole. For vehicles check out  Section 9335 which says unless you have the whole vehicle, like an automobile finanicing company, the secured creditor to a part, like a body, or tow package or stereo, is essentially screwed. If you are in 1st position on the pink slip you are fine; if not, you are screwed. No UCC will fix it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Sam Ott