Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#336774 - 03/23/05 03:41 AM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Anonymous
Unregistered

Talk about close to home, they just arrested a 14-year old today for having ingredients for explosives at a Jr. High, and a plan written down of his plan to do some damage. This happened at the Jr High I attended - that's close to home!

Return to Top
#336775 - 03/23/05 02:22 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

He is 3 months away from turning 16, and does not want DHS involved. He loves his little sisters and doesn't want them affected. They (at least) are being provided for.

You should call child protective services. His parents CAN NOT do this to him, it's illegal. They can help him find a place to stay and ensure that his parents are held responsible for his care.

As for his siblings, are they better off if the parents are allowed to expel him from his home two years before he turns 18? If nothing is done now, what will they do to his little sisters when THEY become a burden to care for?

Return to Top
#336776 - 03/23/05 02:39 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Dave that's horrible. I saw pictures of the shooter in MN, and he looks like one of my neighbor kids. bjp, I'm not discounting DHS, We are just watching the situation closely, and helping where we can.

Return to Top
#336777 - 03/23/05 02:53 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I agree with you. If you do call right away before knowing what is totally going on, you could scare that boy into running away. Then the girls are in the same situation and he is in an even worse situation. I would see if the girls are in a unhealthy situation beyone the fact that the parents seem to be idoits. Maybe the son sided with dad and that is why mom only took the girls. Maybe she truly can't do it by herself with 3 kids and thought dad would do a good job with the older son, she may be protecting the girls from something that she feels the son can protect himself from. If she takes on too much, maybe DHS will take the girls too and she knows the son is close to being on his own anyway. There could be MANY reasons you don't know about yet. It takes a village to raise a child, and you are definately doing your part. Congratulations on being a strong person that can help without judging.

Return to Top
#336778 - 03/23/05 03:31 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I still think that every one of you would help, just as we are. I mean, look at Jac and his family. They helped a child in need, and I'm sure many others on this site have also. Every time you ask a child,(yours or not) "How was your day?" or "Do you need a ride?" or any other question showing that you care about them, you are helping.

Return to Top
#336779 - 03/23/05 10:26 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Just Suzy Offline
Platinum Poster
Mid-West
I agree, deppfan. I just want to share something on the ride question. Kids are so bombarded nowadays about never talking to strangers or accepting rides that you have to be careful how and when you offer a ride. I picked up my kids from their after school program and a young boy that I have known for about five years was walking home ahead of us. I stopped and asked him if he wanted a ride and he froze and looked frightened. I felt so bad! It made me feel really weird and icky. He declined and started walking home faster. My son chastised me for even offering. What a strange, sad world it can be sometimes.

I commend you for your good job in helping a child. Keep up the good work.

Return to Top
#336780 - 03/28/05 01:56 AM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Security gurads are not police officers. I am totally agasinst arming security guards. After leaving the police department I went to work for a bank as the assistant security officer. The security officer has armed guards in several branches including the main office. Several months later a guy came in and diarmed one of the guards and took a female employee hostage. Obviously, he owned the banking floor. He had his arm around the woman's neck and the gun in his other hand pointed at her head. At one point she beleived he was going to shoot her and drove her elbow into his chest. The police jumped on him and while attempting to wrest the gun from him it went off. The bullet struck her in the leg breaking her femur. To this day she walks with a limp.

I also worked for a guard company for about five years as an operations and planning manager. This company was ahead of its time and did not advocate arming guards.

Guns have no place in schools and instiotutions of learning where it be for students or guards.

I am not an anti-gun person having been a hunter and around guns for most of my adult life.

Somone missed the problem at this school and in retrospect this will be corrected. This young man had problems that should have been dealt with. Unfortunately, they were not.

Return to Top
#336781 - 03/28/05 07:53 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Quote:

Minnesota is just a little too close to home for my taste. Back in my day, kids were picked on all the time. Usually, it ended with a bloody lip and maybe a loose tooth or two. Kids these days are surrounded with a different mentality, different social environment, different home lives.......not saying that they're justified in the violent acts they sometimes commit, but I AM saying that BEFORE they commit them, we have a much greater need to step in and recognize some warning signs. Don't be afraid of upsetting or disappointing your kids. "Parents, the Anti-Drug" is a wonderful slogan, but it works for more than drugs.

Elena, you truly are an ANGEL.

I was picked on all the time. I had within my reach enough fire power to take out a small country and I knew how to use it. Taking the fight to the school was never even a consideration. I don't know what makes kids cross that line. I do think we have desensitized our youth.

The solution may be as simple as spending more time with our kids. Here is an unpleasant thought: maybe not everyone should have kids.

FYI, Red Lake is not a cute little northern MN town. The reservation has a host of problems that start with substance abuse and end with an unreal amount of poverty. I don't even know where to start with Red Lake.

Return to Top
#336782 - 03/28/05 08:12 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
One of the young boys/men that was killed, 15 years old, has a 3 month old baby. I heard this was common in the Indian community. To become parents at such a young age. Calculate it back and the boy was probably 14 when he made the baby. How sad is that?

The news has stated many times how poverty stricken the Red Lake Indian Reservation is. I still haven't read exactly where the shooter was living but with both parents gone, Dad committed suicide and Mother in a nursing home, he was lost in the shuffle somewhere. How tragic!

Return to Top
#336783 - 03/28/05 08:15 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
The boy was living with his grandfather and the grandfather's wife/girlfriend. The boy shot both of them before he went to the school. It is a very sad story.

Return to Top
#336784 - 03/28/05 08:24 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
His Grandfather's place was his place of residence but he apparently didn't spend alot of time there.

Return to Top
#336785 - 03/28/05 10:02 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Think about this, grandpa was like 51 years old and his girlfriend was like 35. Do the math there. How Tragic.

Return to Top
#336786 - 03/28/05 10:22 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
The have arrested someone in connection with the shooting. They won't give more details yet due to federal law and the age of the person.

Return to Top
#336787 - 03/28/05 10:30 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
I just read that too.

Return to Top
#336788 - 03/28/05 10:33 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm 51 and have a 14 year old child, can't image being my age and having a 14 year old grand child.

Return to Top
#336789 - 03/29/05 05:25 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

The have arrested someone in connection with the shooting. They won't give more details yet due to federal law and the age of the person.

They are thinking now there may have been a conspiracy and although they won't release detail, there is plenty of speculation here in MN. Some of the speculation is that there was a much larger plan that wasn't carried out to it's full extent and that this other boy arrested may have been involved. They are now siezing computers, files, etc....

Return to Top
#336790 - 03/29/05 09:36 PM Re: Deadly HS Shooting in Minnesota
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
There are cultural differences that should be considered prior to condeming the population based on the ages mentioned. In our native communities, "Elders" are often in their 50's. They live and have lived for so many years in such difficult conditions that they don't live as long as other races do. Having children, who prepetuate the tribe's stregnth, is not seen in the same light as we view it either. Without youth, they die out. This is why you see so many large families in native communities. It's not wrong, it's just different.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett