Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#336905 - 03/22/05 02:26 PM Ad for adj. rate HELOC with fixed rate feature
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
Our adjustable rate HELOCs have a feature that allows the customer to lock in a portion of the existing balance at a fixed rate. Would a HELOC advertisement that mentions this fixed rate option trigger the additional disclosures under Reg Z? Thanks.

Return to Top
Marketing
#336906 - 03/24/05 07:45 PM Re: Ad for adj. rate HELOC with fixed rate feature
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
Are you advertising a particular rate or APR? If so, look at the trigger terms for Open-end credit. Your product does not have an introductory rate (which tiggers additional disclosures) If you are simply making a general statement and do not include trigger terms - it doesn't appear that you need additional disclosures.

Return to Top
#336907 - 03/24/05 07:53 PM Re: Ad for adj. rate HELOC with fixed rate feature
Terry Offline
Gold Star
Terry
Midwest
The advertisement doesn't have anything else that would be a triggering term, so it would come down to the reference to a fixed rate option.

We showed an earlier version that included the rate information to our examiner. At that point all the triggered information was already there so we didn't address whether the reference to a fixed rate option would be a triggering term. But our examiner did say that we should provide some detail about what the fixed rate feature is and how it works. His recommendation was based on the ad being potentially misleading/deceptive.
Last edited by Terry; 03/24/05 08:32 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker