Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#338473 - 03/25/05 02:16 PM Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
My son has a new girlfriend. My son has a new cell phone. This may sound like a plot for a disaster movie and it is. After I got the first months bill he lost use of his phone, but not before more damage was done in the next billing cycle. I was just analyzing his usage (not the other 2 phones on the account) and this boy who complains he has no "chillin" time spent over 87 hours on the phone in one month!

Well, I've figured out a) why the amount payable looked like a phone number itself. b) why he has no time to himself and c) why he tired all day.

Maybe there is credit to that cell phone antenna radiation brain damage theory. It sure dumbed his brain.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#338474 - 03/25/05 02:26 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Andy, I guess I am truly blessed. I got my son a cell phone a year and a half ago when he started driving. He honestly doesn't like talking on the phone and probably uses less than 45 minutes a month.

Good luck on getting him to understand. I know my husband has had problems with his daughter.

Return to Top
#338475 - 03/25/05 02:48 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I bought my teenage son one of those cell phones where you load the minutes instead of having a monthly plan. It has worked out great. The purpose of the phone was for emergencies when driving, etc. so if he uses it for other things and then runs out of time before I am willing to reload it, it was his own doing. He has become much more aware of how long he talks and what conversations he considers important. It costs more per minute to do it this way, but it has been a better way for him to learn how to use a cell phone responsibly.

Return to Top
#338476 - 03/25/05 03:08 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Now I know that I will not get my son a cell phone. Heck, I didn't have one when I grew up...

Return to Top
#338477 - 03/25/05 03:11 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Now I know that I will not get my son a cell phone. Heck, I didn't have one when I grew up...

So you're not going to give him electricity either?

Return to Top
#338478 - 03/25/05 03:11 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
My son is 10...that's right, 10! And he thinks he needs a cell phone because SOME OF HIS FRIENDS HAVE ONE!!!

Don't worry...I didn't disappoint all of the other out-of-touch parents out there. I said simply "if all of your other friends jumped off of a bridge, would you?"

To which he admirably replied..."YES!"

(groan)

Return to Top
#338479 - 03/25/05 03:13 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Andy, I have a friend and his daughter ran up an $800 bill in her first month.....Prepaid cards seem the way to go until they understand the economics of the situation...

Return to Top
#338480 - 03/25/05 03:13 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

So you're not going to give him electricity either?

Good one, Bluebanker.

Return to Top
#338481 - 03/25/05 03:18 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
I don't like the idea of getting prepaid phones. The problem I have is that one poster previously said that they have the phone for emergencies (i.e. roadside or whatever) and they're on prepaid minutes. Well what if they use up all their minutes (for whatever reason)? If they're stuck with a flat tire out somewhere you just tell them, "Too bad, you used up all your minutes so enjoy that semi ride with Bubba." What about getting a normal plan and monitoring the minutes? I know my Cingular bill is online and up to the minute. Does checking the minutes every morning or night seem unreasonable? If the minutes get too high...take the phone away while they're at school and such. I would think the children would be more conscious of minutes if they knew their parents were looking at the bill daily.

Return to Top
#338482 - 03/25/05 03:19 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
That is like 3 hours a day!! HOLY COW!

Return to Top
#338483 - 03/25/05 03:25 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
Wait until they start using the text messaging!

Return to Top
#338484 - 03/25/05 03:25 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
When our kids were teenagers and we did the cell phones, we went with a plan that allowed so many minutes per month. The kids all understood the plan and if they exceeded the minutes they were responsible for paying the excess. That really limited the usage. There are so many different plans out there to choose from now that include unlimited evenings and weekends, but I think having them pay for the excess teaches them how to work within a "limited budget".

Return to Top
#338485 - 03/25/05 03:30 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

If they're stuck with a flat tire out somewhere you just tell them, "Too bad, you used up all your minutes so enjoy that semi ride with Bubba."

What, are they making cars that don't have spares?

My little sister consistently ran up outrageous cell phone bills. Of course, she never paid any of them, either. Think there's a connection there?

Return to Top
#338486 - 03/25/05 03:31 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Ok, or your radiator overheats or a belt breaks....

Return to Top
#338487 - 03/25/05 03:36 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Anonymous
Unregistered

My grandaughter has a prepaid cell phone and she is responsible for purchasing her own minutes. A great way to teach kids how to budget their time and monsy. I live near a Jr. High and I am amazed by how many kids I see walking home after school with a cell phone to their ear.

Return to Top
#338488 - 03/25/05 03:39 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Andy,
We'll be happy to pass the virtual basket to help you deal with this unexpected hit to your budget.
Oh, and I'll also throw in a couple of old coffee cans and a big spool of string for your son.

Return to Top
#338489 - 03/25/05 03:46 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
My fiance and I were in a movie theatre a couple of months ago and about 5 young teenage boys were sitting behind us. Every single one of them had a cell phone and they were using them throughout the movie. Everywhere you turn you see teens with cell phones these days.

I don't have a teenager, yet, but I just don't understand why they need to have cell phones. I can understand the safety issue, and maybe there are those mature enough to use them wisely, but a lot of kids are not mature enough to have them. Maybe if they were forced to get a part-time job and help pay for the bills then maybe they would use them a lot less or more wisely.
Last edited by LadyLuck; 03/25/05 03:47 PM.

Return to Top
#338490 - 03/25/05 03:57 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
Quote:

What, are they making cars that don't have spares?

Sure they make cars with spares. But I haven't found a lock that will keep them from being stolen yet. (I have a truck so the spare is mounted under the bed.)

Return to Top
#338491 - 03/25/05 04:02 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess I have been very fortunate. I believe I got a phn for my son when he was 11, turning 12 very soon after. He has never abused the phone. I got it because I was at work and wanted to make sure he got home safely, plus I wanted him to always be available to me. None of his close friends have phones, but then again all of them have stay at home moms. But it is amazing how many kids in his middle school have phones. He is very responsible and turns it off during the day, in movies, at dental appts, etc. The only thing we argue about is that he now wants a camera phone. That's not going to happen!

Return to Top
#338492 - 03/25/05 04:15 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America
With so many plans having the unlimited minutes these days, I wouldn't have thought this would be an issue anymore. I make my 17 year old pay for hers, but I couldn't live without the means to call and check up on her whenever I feel like it! Of course she can always fib about where she is or what she's doing, but she knows I still care, or I wouldn't have bothered to check on her. And it's been a godsend since she started driving. Hang in there Andy, I feel for you and your being stung with the outragious bill.

Return to Top
#338493 - 03/25/05 04:23 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
My son's older brother has a cell at his mom's and his dad's. He's only 10. He uses it all the time at night, but it stays at home, unless he is at the movies or something with a friend. My 18 year old cousin has one. He is on it constantly. He doesn't have a job and he doesn't seem to want one. His dad will take it away, but somehow my cousin seems to find it...

Return to Top
#338494 - 03/25/05 04:36 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can get a GPS attached to your cell phone and really keep track of where they are.

Return to Top
#338495 - 03/25/05 04:41 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Rant warning... and I apologize for my closemindedness, but I've witnessed far too many problems caused by cell phones to be in their favor. Also, as much as some of you may think this is a direct attack, there is a reason this is headed by a Rant Warning, that's all it is.

Would someone explain to me why it is necessary to have cell phones for kids? How many generations grew up without cell phones and are still living, unscathed (or at least only banged up from our own stupidity), from our teenage years? Although I suppose I should qualify "teenage" since apparently 10 year olds "need" them too. What happened to trusting your child, or teaching enough responsibility that keeping track of your children at all times isn't necessary? When I was growing up I would spend hours at a time out of the house doing my own thing, and did just fine. I simply don't understand why parents feel the need to buy cell phones for their children, aside from paranoia or a need to micromanage someone else's life.

Before anyone starts taling about generational gaps, I'm only 25. I seriously doubt enough has changed in the last 10 years to make cell phones a required part of growing up. Heck I don't even see the necessity for having them as an adult. Sure there are times they can be handy, but there's a limit people.

There, done.

Return to Top
#338496 - 03/25/05 04:53 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Amen Czargazer.

My 10 year old - dispite his attempt to make me feel out of touch with reality - did NOT get a cell phone...and will not for some time.

I worry that his need to get a cell phone is only the beginning of his "need" to fit in with his friends. Not getting the phone is my attempt to teach him that he doesn't always have to be just like his friends and that life DOES go on!!!

Return to Top
#338497 - 03/25/05 04:58 PM Re: Cell Phone Vent - Teenager
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

...... Well, I've figured out a) why the amount payable looked like a phone number itself. .....

Does anyone read Zits - y'all will find these funny, or on the other hand maybe not! Select the cartoon for March 7th, and then check out the next 5 days.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2