Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#338773 - 03/25/05 07:20 PM Prime Rate
Strategery Offline
100 Club
Strategery
Snow Country
Fiercely debated issue in our area regarding the effective date of Prime Rate changes on Loans. Loan docs state index used is Wall Street Journal Prime Rate and Change Frequency is "whenever Wall Street Journal Prime Rate changes." Please chime in. Thanks!
Prime Rate Effective Date
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 03/25/05 07:18 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Last edited by Strategery; 03/25/05 07:41 PM.
Return to Top
General Discussion
#338774 - 03/25/05 07:26 PM Re: Prime Rate
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What do your loan docs say as to when it will change?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#338775 - 03/25/05 07:27 PM Re: Prime Rate
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
We change it effective open of business on the day it's announced, but only for our commercial line. Our consumer line changes the 1st of the following month. Credit card is either the 1st of the following month, or one month subsequent to that, depending on when the FOMC meeting occurs.

Return to Top
#338776 - 03/25/05 10:12 PM Re: Prime Rate
Broncos Fan Offline
New Poster
Mountain States
Our docs state "as published in WSJ"

Return to Top
#338777 - 03/25/05 11:11 PM Re: Prime Rate
Anonymous
Unregistered

It doesn't make sense to wait a day for a prime change, but that's how the "as published" phrase is being interpreted at our bank too.

Return to Top
#338778 - 03/26/05 03:44 PM Re: Prime Rate
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you go to the rate published on 3/22, what is it? Until the rate is published you have no documentation the Prime changed until it is "published".

If you have to document in court what the prime published in the WSJ on 3/22 was, which rate would you be able to document "as published". The rate may have been effective on 3/22 but it was not published until 3/23. Just MHO.

Return to Top
#338779 - 03/27/05 06:13 AM Re: Prime Rate
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
FWIW, I agree with Andy and Dan. Your agreement can say anything you want it to - the question is what your agreement says. The language in your poll is different from most that I see, which would read along the lines Dan is talking about. For instance, "Prime Rate, as published in the WSJ." That type of language makes it a little clearer than what you quoted. But even going just by the language you quoted, the WSJ prime cannot change until the WSJ is published (unless you want to specify the online version, which is not - at this point - the normal thing people would think of when you say published in the WSJ).

Return to Top
#338780 - 04/02/05 02:55 PM Re: Prime Rate
bugleboy Offline
100 Club
Ohio
Our bank defines Prime rate as "published in the Wall Street Journal" It is then effective the next day. It is impossible (at least with our operatings systems) to change a rate once the day is here so the effective date is the next day. We know from news sources when Prime changes but always wait until the rate is published in WSJ. Our consumer Equity Lines of Credit are effective the first day of the following month after a change in Prime. These lines only can change monthly.

Return to Top