Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#342066 - 04/01/05 08:39 PM ATM Updates
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently read an article titled "Are Your ATMs Going To Be Ready?" It states that MasterCard has mandated that all ATMs be Triple DES (3DES) compliant by 4/1/05. ATMs manufactured prior to April 2002, if upgradeable, are going to need an upgrade in stages or in whole, by the dates mandated by networks such as VISA and MasterCard, in order to comply with the mandate. Some networks have been granted a new "drop dead" date of 12/31/05. This legislation marks the third major regulatory change or major software change in the ATM industry in nearly as many years.

Have any of you heard of this? I am looking for guidance on this as I'm sure some of our branches ATM's are older models and have not been updated.

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#342067 - 04/01/05 11:00 PM Re: ATM Updates
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
2002 Triple DES article. This even refers to the 2005 date. I know 2 years ago my bank was working on it.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#342068 - 04/05/05 01:01 AM Re: ATM Updates
reinkesd Offline
100 Club
reinkesd
Connecticut
Yup, heard of it and have been living it day in and day out. We have 130 banks and credit unions and for the most part they have all upgraded.

There are a handful that had this sneek up on them. For those that have not been focused on this or just haven't had the time or money to complete the upgrades, you can request an extension.

You'll want to work with whomever drives your ATMs and/or any networks you participate in such as NYCE or STAR. They'll help you out.

Return to Top