Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#346454 - 04/13/05 07:43 PM computer based training
abanker Offline
abanker
Colorado
Is anyone out there doing computer based training? I would like to get an idea of how often you assign courses. I am our bank's administrator for this new training and I would just like some ideas on setup.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#346455 - 04/13/05 07:44 PM Re: computer based training
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Most of our folks have 1-3 modules per quarter to complete.
Last edited by Pizzazz; 04/13/05 07:51 PM.
Return to Top
#346456 - 04/13/05 07:47 PM Re: computer based training
Anonymous
Unregistered

We use Bankers Training and Consulting Co. We have anywhere from 3-4 courses a month. Some of the courses are quite different than our actual procedures and staff is often confused. It's a great tool for required training, but I would eliminate the rest. It just doesn't teach what we need.

Return to Top
#346457 - 04/13/05 07:49 PM Re: computer based training
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
We also use BT&CC, but have spread the courses out over 6 quarters. Generally folks have 3-4 per quarter, or about one a month.

Return to Top
#346458 - 04/13/05 08:28 PM Re: computer based training
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
We use Bankers Edge. They have about 70 courses we subscribe to. They are somewhat editable and prices are good for the quality of the courses. The record keeping is pretty simple if you know how to pull reports from a database. It isn't difficult if you have to learn how to inquire for the reports.
They have reg overview courses as well as specific reg requirement courses so we change requirements for different positions.
We require one course each month for 10 months with none for Nov. or Dec. Reports to the BOD are done quarterly on what's complete @ quarter end so there is a loop hole and we take no excuses for sick, vacation, dog ate it, etc. for the Board Report.
We urge supervisors to allow time at the office but we provide the site address and employees may do them at home. We do not pay for doing them at home. Supervisors may inquire about their employees.
Whichever provider you use, I recommend this type training if you are over about 75 employees. It saves a lot of meetings and wasted time.
Our BSA training records took about 5 minutes to put together the course description and every individual employee record of passing it for the examiners.

Return to Top
#346459 - 04/13/05 09:52 PM Re: computer based training
abanker Offline
abanker
Colorado
Thanks for all the input. We are going with BVS Training Solutions and I am glad to get away from mass lunch meetings that no one pays attention to. (except what is served for lunch) Do you still require Officers to take courses even after you get the required courses out of the way?

Return to Top
#346460 - 04/15/05 01:34 PM Re: computer based training
Spladoodle Offline
100 Club
The other windy city
Expect to spend a LOT of time following up with people who do not complete their training (ESPECIALLY officers!)

Although online training is handy, I could have conducted 100 courses in the amount of time I spend following up with people who do not take the course. They are very easy to put off until the last minute (like taxes!).

Be careful how many you assign and to whom you assign them. Don't assign any to officers unless it is truly required by a reg.

Return to Top
#346461 - 04/15/05 03:30 PM Re: computer based training
Michelle B. Offline
New Poster
Illinois
We rolled out internet based training 3 years ago. We started with Banker's e-Learning from BVS because it was the most cost effective and it gave us access to all of their courses (i.e. I didn't have to choose which ones I thought we'd use). We generally assign 1 corporate-wide assignment each month. Then we also assign courses to specific departments as needed. Our employees took to it right away, but "spladoodle" is right, the officers are the worst when it comes to completing their assignments on time. We found that the best motivator is to send out the overdue assignment listing to everyone on our e-mail system the week before the board meeting. People quickly find the time to get it done so that their name doesn't go in the board report.

We are a state chartered bank and the FDIC absolutely loves it. They were very complimentary in our ROE about our training efforts and records. Granted, it doesn't replace the need for classroom style training, but it sure does save time on all those areas where annual training is required by regulation.

Return to Top
#346462 - 04/15/05 03:38 PM Re: computer based training
Darkwater Offline
New Poster
On my experience, it does not make sense to assign courses more often than one or two times a month. The other possibility is to provide the training somewhere else (maybe in a conference room), where they don't have to get into a conflict between the course and their daily tasks.

Otherwise they tend to deliver worse results on the tests, or - and that would be even worse - perform bad at the business with the customers.

Return to Top
#346463 - 04/15/05 04:21 PM Re: computer based training
CSB98 Offline
Diamond Poster
Wisconsin
We also do computer-based training . . . one a month through Bankers Training. The first couple of months, everyone is completing the same course (OFAC, PATRIOT ACT) for annual training, then they are broken down into specific courses for the specific departments. Besides the online training, I also do in-house training on a couple of topics a year I feel need more discussion, such as HMDA, RESPA, Reg. Z, etc. I incorporate quizzes into these training sessions and do follow-up quizzes a month later to see what the employees are retaining. It seems to work out pretty well.

Return to Top
#346464 - 04/15/05 05:57 PM Re: computer based training
Ginlyn, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Ginlyn, CRCM
Oklahoma
We also use Bankers Training & Consulting. We are a small community bank with approximately 60 employees (including branches). The first quarter of 2005, our employees took and passed 265 courses. Why? Our training program includes two required courses every quarter. Then, the employee is given the option to take three more courses of their own selection. If a total of five courses are taken and passed in one quarter, the employee receives four hours off with pay. Most of our employees save two quarters at a time which gives them an additional two paid days off per year. Management is very supportive.

Return to Top
#346465 - 04/15/05 06:28 PM Re: computer based training
Anonymous
Unregistered

We use Focus on Compliance from Eddcom. Switched to it from Bankers Edge last year because each module can be customized to our banks policies and procedures and you can even link the module to files w/ your banks forms, p & p's etc. This eliminates the problem of having to take a canned program and then explain why your bank is doing something different. You also have the flexibility to just do a test at the end of the module or after each section. We assign the courses at the beginning of the year and they must be completed by year end. Some people only have a few - others are assigned a lot bases on their position.

Return to Top
#346466 - 04/15/05 06:47 PM Re: computer based training
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Quote:

Thanks for all the input. We are going with BVS Training Solutions and I am glad to get away from mass lunch meetings that no one pays attention to. (except what is served for lunch) Do you still require Officers to take courses even after you get the required courses out of the way?

We also use BVS and have for years. I assign 7 minimum mandatory courses due close to year end. Depending on job duties, other courses are split at each quarter end (officer's included). Other general courses are assigned based on job and can be done anytime during career. It works pretty well.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#346467 - 04/15/05 09:15 PM Re: computer based training
AlwaysLearning Offline
We also use Banker’s e-Learning and assign 5 courses per year. Headquarters of course take longer to complete than other areas but we have started sending reminders to complete courses and kudos for completing courses. This year we are 60% completed and last year this time we were 38% completed. We also rank first to last place by region which adds a little competition to the process. Seems officers don’t like to come in last so we are getting a much better response this year.

Return to Top
#346468 - 04/18/05 06:06 PM Re: computer based training
Anonymous
Unregistered

We also use Edcomm - Love It & so does our FDIC examiner. Our solution for getting EVERYONE to complete courses on a TIMELY basis is tying it to everyone's annual review. This is from the CEO to mailroom. Everyone must be up to date on their training (usually 1 per mo.)to get a "Meets Expectations" in the Personal Development part of their review. If you're behind, you get a lower rating & a lower raise. For Managers, their annual review includes Staff Development. Their entire staff must be current or the Supervisor can't get "Meets Expectations" in this category (so a lower rating & lower raise). It puts teeth into the compliance training & has been Very Effective!

Return to Top
#346469 - 04/18/05 06:11 PM Re: computer based training
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I use computer based training for compliance and I assign courses monthly. The courses are assigned in relation to job duties, so some folks take a course (or two) every month and others only take a handful a year. Hope it helps.

Return to Top
#346470 - 04/29/05 07:28 PM Re: computer based training
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Be careful how many you assign and to whom you assign them. Don't assign any to officers unless it is truly required by a reg.

How do we know what is required for our officers? I don't want them to take things they don't need to take.

Return to Top