Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#350430 - 04/22/05 05:12 PM Property tax dispute
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
Customer is advising us not to make their property tax payment that we have escrowed because the amount is being disputed. Where do our obligations lie? I cannot find anything in IC. Any suggestions? RESPA says we have to make timely payments, but does not address when those payments are being disputed.

Return to Top
#350431 - 04/22/05 07:13 PM Re: Property tax dispute
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I bet this has to do with the re-assessments. (Forgive me but should I say re-asses. What a fiasco that turned out to be in most counties?)

I'm not aware of any guidance in the IC, nor am I aware of any in RESPA.

My suggestion would be to have the borrower submit his request in writing stating the fact he is disputing the reassessment and that they will not hold you liable for any penalties they may incur should they lose the dispute. I would also strongly suggest to the borrower that they should at least pay last year's billing and only withhold the disputed portion.

A quick call to the Treasurer's office might also help.

As an after thought - unless this county was one of the ones that were late getting the reassessments out, I think, but don't hold me to it, the property owner only had 60 or 90 days to appeal the reassessment. A call to the Treasurer's office sounds more prudent now.

Return to Top