Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#351371 - 04/26/05 02:03 PM CTR for joint account
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
When you file a CTR for a joint account you must list both the person who made the deposit and any other joint account holders in section A. What if one of the people did not come in and we do not have their occupation? What do you enter on line #13? I know you can check box 14 d and enter "not present". Can you do this for the occupation as well?

Also does anyone know of a list of acceptable occupations that would help us avoid being to vague on line #13 for occupation?

Thanks!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#351372 - 04/26/05 07:25 PM Re: CTR for joint account
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
We always call the customer to get any information we missed. They are usually very cooperative. By the way, I've never heard of using "not present". Have you had examiners question that?

Return to Top
#351373 - 04/26/05 07:32 PM Re: CTR for joint account
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
You know I'm not sure. It is stated in our procedures but we obviously try to avoid it. So far we haven't used that but I was wondering if it can be done.

Return to Top
#351374 - 04/27/05 05:39 PM Re: CTR for joint account
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
But you do need to fill out 2 section A parts if it is a joint account right?

Return to Top
#351375 - 04/27/05 06:30 PM Re: CTR for joint account
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Yes - if the money is deposited into a joint account, Section A would be completed for all owners on the account because they have access to use those funds. I usually complete the front with the party that is present so I can mark Conducted on Own Behalf in Section B and then the other owner(s) on the back. Make sure you mark Multiple Persons in #1. I try to obtain what information I can on the absent party but if they are not present and I do not have their identifying information I have always checked box d, Item 14 and entered N/A. This is something I always remind at the time of annual training - an easily missed item.

Return to Top
#351376 - 04/28/05 06:53 PM Re: CTR for joint account
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
Thank you!! Have you ever not been able to get the occupation of the person not present, and if so is there an acceptable way to fill out the CTR or should you insist on an occupation??

Return to Top
#351377 - 04/28/05 07:59 PM Re: CTR for joint account
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
IMO, you should insist on an occupation or decline the transaction.

Return to Top
#351378 - 04/29/05 01:40 PM Re: CTR for joint account
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Due to the fact that we are a smaller community bank, quite often someone in the branch will know what the occupation is for the absentee owner. If your teller is alert to the fact that they need this information at the time of the transaction, usually the co-owner (which is quite often a spouse) can provide that information. A phone call to the accountholder would be acceptable also.

Return to Top