Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#351749 - 04/26/05 07:00 PM Checking OFAC List
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
I'm interested to know how tellers check for hits on the SDN list when they sell a Cashier's Check or a wire transfer is made. Since the list changes so often I would think printing the paper version would be out. We have a place on our system to enter the information but you have to also have the address before it will check and that information is not always known by the customer in the office.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#351750 - 04/26/05 07:15 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
We use bridgeinsight which allows you to search just by name or also to enter an address and more information.

Return to Top
#351751 - 04/26/05 07:29 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
The Bankers Bank also has a program that you can just enter a name, so does Check Systems.

Return to Top
#351752 - 04/27/05 10:11 AM Re: Checking OFAC List
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
You can also direct your tellers to www.ofaccompliance.com. This is the website for ChoicePoint Bridger Insight. On the right hand margin, there is a link for Free Name Check. It does require a one time registration, but there is no fee. The registration does authorize ChoicePoint to periodically send you e-mail sales literature.

Return to Top
#351753 - 04/27/05 12:41 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
MagicBanker, I have been told by sales reps at Bridger that the free on-line OFAC checker is not kept up to date and that we would not be in compliance if we used it. I understand that they were trying to sell me the full system and didn't want me to rely on the free one - but we stopped using that freebie altogether because of that statement by 2 different sales reps. This site is also free. Since it is the NASD site, I would think it is up-to-date.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#351754 - 04/27/05 12:56 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

... This site is also free. Since it is the NASD site, I would think it is up-to-date.

Well, one way to test how up-to-date it is would be by entering a new name from yesterday's update to the list.

Surprise! it is current......Very nice...

Return to Top
#351755 - 04/27/05 03:01 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
We use Penley for both the 314(a), OFAC and ID Verification. Works well.

Return to Top
#351756 - 04/27/05 04:12 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Thanks for that, waldensouth. I had not heard that about the ofaccompliance.com site. That's a shame as they were one of the first out there. Too many mergers, I guess. Glad to know that NASD is picking up the slack. Gee, I wonder what it would take for OFAC to put that kind of technology on its own website.

Return to Top
#351757 - 09/23/05 09:02 PM Re: Penley?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

We use Penley for both the 314(a), OFAC and ID Verification. Works well.

We're checking out Penley, does anyone else use their ID Verification service?

Return to Top
#351758 - 09/24/05 09:33 PM Re: Penley?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
A lot of folks are using them. Be sure to let them know you saw them on BOL. They are a long time advertiser. Letting them know you saw them here goes a long way.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#351759 - 09/29/05 01:25 PM Re: Penley ID Verification
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thanks Andy.

I need some advice for those of you that use it. We are going to, for the time being, use it as a tool in addition to obtaining a copy of the ID. How have those of you that use the Penley ID Verification explain to your staff that this doesn't take the place of your ID procedures?
I'm finishing up a power point for a training on it tonight and would appreciate any additional helpful ideas from those of you that have used it (or are using it).

Return to Top
#351760 - 09/29/05 03:08 PM Re: Penley ID Verification
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Why don't you just say that your CIP policy requires both documentary and nondocumentary verification? It is your policy that controls at your institution.

Return to Top
#351761 - 09/29/05 04:39 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
Maya Offline
100 Club
South Carolina
We recently started using a BankersSystem product. The question I have is how is everyone handling an OFAC hit on the payee of an offical check. Do you call OFAC while the purchaser is still in the bank or do you deny the transaction? Do you complete the transaction and then call OFAC?

Return to Top
#351762 - 09/29/05 07:55 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer

Return to Top
#351763 - 09/29/05 11:05 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
is everyone checking the names on cashier's checks or is this risk mitigated? I keep hearing different things on if this is really required or not. We currently aren't checking cashier's checks/money orders and the such.

Return to Top
#351764 - 09/30/05 01:58 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
BankerKB Offline
Gold Star
BankerKB
We aren't checking names on cashiers checks due to our risk level being low...it depends how you risk rate and develop your program

Return to Top
#351765 - 09/30/05 02:28 PM Re: Checking OFAC List
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From the OFAC Q & A:

Does my bank need to check the OFAC list when selling cashier's checks and money orders? In the case of cashier's checks, do I need to check both the purchaser and the payee? As a mortgage lender, do I need to check both the purchaser and the seller's name against the SDN list?

Every transaction that a U.S. financial institution engages in is subject to OFAC regulations. If a bank knows or has reason to know that a target is party to a transaction, the bank's processing of the transaction would be unlawful. [09-10-02]

At the Dallas outreach program I asked the OFAC representative if a bank with a justifiably low risk rating for OFAC violations could reaonably omit some of the more mundane comparisons such as checking payees on on-us checks and payees on cashiers checks. It's fair to say she was appalled at the suggestion and answered with a rambling, but emphatic, "No."

See EGB's post "Regulatory Panel Notes" for confirmation as to what was said.

What examiners tell bankers varies incredibly among different parts of the country... OFAC's answers are always, "Yes, you have to check that."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z