Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#353028 - 04/29/05 01:33 AM ignore this post- just fussing
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a problem with our air conditioner. People can't keep their hands off of it. Honestly, the employees will turn it to a temperature you don't even want it to be outside (hot) and then turn it to the off position. I am in shock b/c there is specific instruction not to move anything. I hate to do disciplinary action over moving the air thermostat, but don't really mind it for insubordination (sp). I must not have even been taught to adjust the room temperature to what I find comfortable because I am the only thing that matters. Let me stop now and call my parents and tell them what they forgot.
Boy, that felt nice to get off my chest. Unfortunately, I may have to do it again in a minute.
Seriously, if anyone has sweaters and fingerless gloves they would like to send to my branch, let me know. They might be cold tommorrow.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#353029 - 04/29/05 10:40 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
A couple of places I know have put those big plastic covers over the temp gauge for this same reason. Of course in those cases, employees just learn to use a straightened paper clip or whatever.

You could always say, with great shock in your voice "What are you DOING?" when you see them adjusting it.....

Return to Top
#353030 - 04/29/05 11:20 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A CEO friend, long tired of "the thermostat wars" had placebo thermostats installed in common work areas; i.e. they are not connected to anything. Actual temperatures are controlled by an energy management system. The employees still fuss over the thermostats, but the true dictators, there are always some, are not really in control.

Return to Top
#353031 - 04/29/05 11:31 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LOL, Ken, that is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I would just have to tell them one day, they haven't been controlling a thing, just to see their sheepish reaction.

Return to Top
#353032 - 04/29/05 11:54 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Having worked in buildings and grounds for several years, I have many stories to tell. We have remote thermostats in some areas and people would be constantly calling and asking us to adjust the temp. in this area or that. I started telling them I had adjusted it when I hadn't and they could never tell that I hadn't touched it. Once in a while I wouldn't touch it but would say, I changed it but I am afraid I may have made it too hot/cold so let me know if you need me to back it off a little - and most of the time they would!

I really love those people who, even though the heating/cooling system is running, crank the thermostat up to 80 or down to 60 thinking it will get to 72 "faster".

I think an electric cattle fence should be hooked up to the thermostat and anyone who touches it should get zapped!

Return to Top
#353033 - 04/29/05 11:58 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

A CEO friend, long tired of "the thermostat wars" had placebo thermostats installed in common work areas; i.e. they are not connected to anything. Actual temperatures are controlled by an energy management system. The employees still fuss over the thermostats, but the true dictators, there are always some, are not really in control.

That is the greatest thing I've ever heard!!!!!! He deserves to be CEO for creative ideas like that!

Return to Top
#353034 - 05/03/05 02:41 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

We have remote thermostats in some areas and people would be constantly calling and asking us to adjust the temp. in this area or that. I started telling them I had adjusted it when I hadn't and they could never tell that I hadn't touched it. Once in a while I wouldn't touch it but would say, I changed it but I am afraid I may have made it too hot/cold so let me know if you need me to back it off a little - and most of the time they would!

I think I have been to your building.

Return to Top
#353035 - 05/03/05 12:25 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

A couple of places I know have put those big plastic covers over the temp gauge for this same reason. Of course in those cases, employees just learn to use a straightened paper clip or whatever.

Anon for a reason- that's what is at our bank- and I know of one person who does use a paper clip- quite a few of us have heaters-and some of little fans- the temps are never going to please everyone-and in a place like this it can be freezing in one area and hot in another area- you just have to learn to have a sweater handy or a fan/heater. The Pres had those covers put on because everyone was fooling around with the thermostats. Oh well.

Return to Top
#353036 - 05/03/05 01:14 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Quote:

A CEO friend, long tired of "the thermostat wars" had placebo thermostats installed in common work areas; i.e. they are not connected to anything.

While not having to do with the job site, my grandmother would always be turning up the thermostat, no matter how hot already was she would think it was cold.

So one day while she was out my grandfather disconnected the thermostat and installed a second one in a hidden spot. My grandmother continued to adjust the old thermostat and was never the wiser that it wasn't doing anything. He saved a bundle on his electric and she was happy that he quit complaining about the heat and bill. It was a true win-win situation.

Return to Top
#353037 - 05/03/05 01:22 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
This is the reason cardigan sweaters are still for sale.

Return to Top
#353038 - 05/03/05 01:23 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
That's what I say, you can always put more clothes on, but you can only take off so much...

Return to Top
#353039 - 05/03/05 02:07 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
My favorite people are the ones who wear those thin sleevless tops in the summer, then complain about how *COLD* they are until the AC gets turned off and those of us in suits and ties are sweating like field horses. Wear some d*** clothes, for cripe's sake.

Return to Top
#353040 - 05/03/05 04:09 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I didn't know you could use a paper clip to adjust them. I guess I was scared of the authority behind the plastic box

Return to Top
#353041 - 05/03/05 04:11 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Quote:

That's what I say, you can always put more clothes on, but you can only take off so much...

That starts a different "heat" issue.

Return to Top
#353042 - 05/03/05 04:16 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Raiderette Offline
Diamond Poster
Raiderette
New Mexico
Quote:

Quote:

I think I better stop my imagination, before it starts to run wild.

Return to Top
#353043 - 05/03/05 04:17 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think I better stop my imagination, before it starts to run wild.

Why stop now?

Return to Top
#353044 - 05/04/05 06:37 AM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Of course in those cases, employees just learn to use a straightened paper clip or whatever.

By the way - the straightened paper clip is officialy known as the "Handy Dandy All-Purpose Office Tool". I can just picture the Saturday Night Live Ad skit for that - a la the Bass-O-Matic.

Of course, the All Purpose Office Tool also describes some of the people working there.......

Return to Top
#353045 - 05/04/05 02:04 PM Re: ignore this post- just fussing
itsme Offline
100 Club
itsme
Quote:

Of course, the All Purpose Office Tool also describes some of the people working there.......

I don't know about the "All Purpose" part, but there are plent of TOOLS around the office.

Return to Top