Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#35316 - 10/01/02 06:35 PM Risk Assessment of the various HR laws
BrendaW Offline
100 Club
BrendaW
Texas
Is there a source that details the risk to the bank of the laws and regulations related to HR? I have had our HR department make their assessment but wanted to know if they are being ultra conservative or not.... Also, I am in Texas and know that there are Texas laws that will also come into play for us. Is there a website that I can go to that will help me with Texas HR laws?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#35317 - 10/04/02 01:55 PM Re: Risk Assessment of the various HR laws
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
The Texas Workforce Commission adminsters the Texas Labor Law. Most Texas labor laws mirror the federal law with the exception of the Texas Payday Law, Texas Child Labor Law, and the Texas Minimum Wage Act. Of most importance is the Payday Law requirement to post a notice of pay periods and pay day, and you have to pay teminated employees within a prescribed time period. Their website is www.twc.state.tx.us/ui/lablaw.html

Unfortunately, there is no single place to look for federal laws because they are so many. The EEOC will provide the most useful source of information in this area. In addition to the Labor Laws, there are also ERISA laws which your HR department needs to know. ERISA governs administration of your health and retirement plans.

I am teaching two courses on employmentlaw for Banks in San Antonio on October 17 if you need more information.
Bob McComas

Return to Top
#35318 - 10/19/02 04:20 PM Re: Risk Assessment of the various HR laws
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Brenda,
I have just finished giving a seminar on employment law to a group of banks. I would be happy to e-mail you the appropriate section of the seminar for your needs.

Bob McComas
EVP HR Rgulatory Compliance

Return to Top
#35319 - 10/22/02 09:15 PM Re: Risk Assessment of the various HR laws
BrendaW Offline
100 Club
BrendaW
Texas
Thanks, I would really appreciate that! My email is bwilliams@austinbank.com I need lots of help with this undertaking....as it is all new to me....

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry