BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#354335 - 05/19/05 02:05 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
See my edited post just above yours, ThomasJ.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#354336 - 05/19/05 09:17 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you catch the item in time to return it beforĀ¬
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#354337 - 05/19/05 10:53 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
According to my state banking assoc. they are: CA, OR, CO, TN, HI, TX, ID, UT, MA, VT, NE WV, NH, WI, ND. Kansas and Missouri legislatures adopted it this year too.

Return to Top
#354338 - 05/20/05 06:01 PM Re: Qchex
Visa D'Kline Offline
Oklahoma
We have had a large experience with QChex, what we learned this week is that you can fax them a copy of the check on company letterhead to 1-858-675-0579. A telephone number for Carrie Quinn account executive at Qchex is 1-800-303-2620 ext 300. We have sent numerous checks by fax this week and they have provided information as to who and where the check originated as well as the email the individual used th set up the account. Hope this information helps.

Return to Top
#354339 - 05/20/05 09:44 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
Our bank has been "hit" with about 10 of these this week. We've also see a bunch of conterfeit postal money orders coming through.

I really hate smart criminals... and feel sorry for un-educated customers.

And I can't imagine that QChex doesn't have a clue as to what's going on. They should be charged as well, period.

Return to Top
#354340 - 05/22/05 05:02 AM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
WLoeman Offline
New Poster
I have just started to research this QChex thing because I may be a victim, I guess...

An person I've only chatted with sparingly has just sent me a QChex check for over $3K. I haven't physically received it yet, but the above alone set off some red flags, of course.

What I'm trying to understand, and I'll be honest here: if someone sends me a check and I either deposit it or just take it to a Check Cashing Store to get the funds, how liable am I for it if it is in fact fraudulent? I mean, how am I supposed to know?

If I try to deposit it and it bounces, sure. If Check Cashing Store refuses to honor it for whatever reason, sure. But if neither of the above happens, how liable am I?

It hasn't cost me anything... yet. The person is asking me to take the check, cash/deposit it, and send them the amount minus $400 for my services - I'm no idiot, I know it's a scam and I'm not about to do what they suggest.

I have everything documented and believe me I'm doing my due diligence on this, but I'm wondering what's stopping anyone from cashing the check wherever and pocketing the money themselves?

Return to Top
#354341 - 05/22/05 06:02 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

What I'm trying to understand, and I'll be honest here: if someone sends me a check and I either deposit it or just take it to a Check Cashing Store to get the funds, how liable am I for it if it is in fact fraudulent? I mean, how am I supposed to know?

You are 100% liable when you endorse the check or deposit the check to your account. You say how am I supposed to know, but you are in a much better position to know the circumstances surrounding the check than the bank or check cashing store. Their recourse is to collect the funds from you and your recourse is to collect the funds from the person who gave you the check.

Quote:

have everything documented and believe me I'm doing my due diligence on this, but I'm wondering what's stopping anyone from cashing the check wherever and pocketing the money themselves?

Knowingly taking part in this scam to try to "scam the scammer" makes you an accessory to this crime.

DO NOT DEPOSIT OR CASH THIS CHECK AND STOP COMMUNICATING WITH THIS PERSON!!!!!

As someone who works on fraud investigations on a daily basis I can tell you that this is a classic scam and no good can come from playing along with this, you are not going to scam him and there is virtually no way that you are going to help catch him.

Return to Top
#354342 - 05/24/05 03:17 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is an interesting report on msnbc.com today (May24). Titled Easy Check Fraud Technique draws Scrutiny. There is some discussion about QChex! We found this very interesting - QChex makes no attempts to verify the identity of people wanting to purchase their checks. QChex COO Danforth said that banks should bear the blame for any fruad committed using QChek systems. Good reading!

Return to Top
#354343 - 05/24/05 04:06 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

There is an interesting report on msnbc.com today (May24). Titled Easy Check Fraud Technique draws Scrutiny. There is some discussion about QChex! We found this very interesting - QChex makes no attempts to verify the identity of people wanting to purchase their checks. QChex COO Danforth said that banks should bear the blame for any fruad committed using QChek systems. Good reading!

Here is a link to the article. Some nice quotes in there by John Burnett. Why do I still get the feeling that even though we are being victimized by this as well, we are made to look like the bad guy? I loved the estimate of 10 to 15 fraud complaints a week that the Q-Chex COO gave. We are a small community bank and have seen probably 10 of these ourselves in the past three weeks.

Return to Top
#354344 - 05/24/05 04:43 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Thomas, what county are you in in PA? I can't remember. I am checking to see if we have been it with any of these.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#354345 - 05/24/05 06:51 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Kaybee,

Check your private messages.

Return to Top
#354346 - 05/24/05 06:59 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Got it. Thanks.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#354347 - 05/27/05 01:02 AM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams covered the same material, based on the MSNBC story, on Tues. evening. the clip can be viewed on the MSNBC website.

FYI - it seems that Danforth's name is associated with quite a lot of check fraud/identity theft. the publication date for the following story seems to be Aug. 10, '03. Danforth is quoted. The article claims that G7 Productivity Systems makes the check writing program most favored by identity thieves. Danforth is G7's CFO, or whatever. (Qchex is a subsidiary of G7.)

http://online.statesmanjournal.com/sp_section_article.cfm?i=65855&s=2332

Danforth sings the same tune, refusing to take responsibility for the damange his questionable business practices inflict. And in fact he claims that his technology may even prevent identity theft because "users won't have to worry about boxes of pre-printed checks being stolen from mailboxes."

Danforth, apparently, comes out of the banking community, so he probably knows the ropes. His name is listed on something called seagulldroppings.com. (apropros, yes? ) which is a web gathering spot for former employees of San Diego Federal Savings & Loan and Great American (Federal Savings) Bank.

Return to Top
#354348 - 05/27/05 07:21 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am just a customer of a bank. Some how a man using Qchex has managed to cash 3 checks against my savings account. Even the bank doesn't know how they did it. I called Qchex that Carrie hung up on me. I had my local police fax them a letter asking for the info.They said I faxed it called me a Liar and said it was my fault. Yeah I very much think Qchex needs to be investigated. Like the lady selling her VW Qchex knows full what they are a major part of this scam. But they are trying to play innocent also. If they participate in the fraud knowingly they need jail time too.

Return to Top
#354349 - 05/27/05 07:28 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Mike Pittsley Offline
New Poster
I am just a customer of a bank. Some how a man using Qchex has managed to cash 3 checks against my savings account. Even the bank doesn't know how they did it. I called Qchex that Carrie hung up on me. I had my local police fax them a letter asking for the info.They said I faxed it called me a Liar and said it was my fault. Yeah I very much think Qchex needs to be investigated. Like the lady selling her VW Qchex knows full what they are a major part of this scam. But they are trying to play innocent also. If they participate in the fraud knowingly they need jail time too.

Return to Top
#354350 - 05/27/05 08:00 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Mike-
Just to make sure I understand what happened:
Did the drafts actually have your savings account number on them, or did the scammer cash fraudulent items drawn on another account against your savings?

Return to Top
#354351 - 05/28/05 02:30 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Mike Pittsley Offline
New Poster
he did 2 things He printed checks out from Qchex with my name address and savings acount number on them. So far I have 3 people call me that got them. Plus some how he was able to do an electronic check also against my savings account.We Cought the paper checks but the electronic checks went through
Last edited by Mike Pittsley; 05/28/05 02:31 PM.
Return to Top
#354352 - 05/31/05 05:19 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one of these checks right here in my hand. If anyone wants information on it, e-mail me at kbowman007@yahoo.com it is the second one that I have recieved from an individual in Nigeria.

Return to Top
#354353 - 06/03/05 06:05 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
Visa D'Kline Offline
Oklahoma
Quote:

Think back to determine if you've possibly followed a paypal update link from your email. We are starting to see a common relationship to our customer's who have received these checks as well as the customer we had who actually had a check come in his name, but not his account number. Think about if you've updated a paypal account by email prompt. If that has been the case, you may know how they have your information.

Return to Top
#354354 - 06/05/05 01:41 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
LifeNotFair Offline
New Poster
CT
I received a Qchex check yesterday for over $5,000. A woman I met online about a month ago, who calls herself lady_hughes2005, aka Kim Hughes, supposedly from Kent England UK, claims to be unable to cash checks in Abuja, Nigeria (where she is presently on assignment for her company) and asked if I would set up a Bank of America acct with my name on it so she could have the company that owes her $$$ wire the money to that account, and then I could (somehow??) send her some of it. Ding, ding, ding...the bells went off like crazy!! I played along with this, but had not set up the acct, in hopes of catching "her". Ha. My States Attorney General at first said to send them all the information. When I called them to see what was happening, as this woman and I were still in continuous contact and I wanted to know what to do, they said the state can do nothing and to contact the Secret Service. I contacted my local branch of the SS and they said to email them all the info I had collected (names, addresses, phone #s, etc..) and they would enter it into a data base they had, but that really nothing could be done to catch the person or group involved. The Nigerian gov't does not cooperate and we have no jurisdiction over there. Education is the only way to stop these people. That is why I am writing. To warn you that even DATING SITES and Instant Messaging are being used by these scammers to pick up people to "befriend" in order to scam them . They are quite clever and convincing and will take quite a while to develop a "relationship" before saying they are "low" or "depressed" and when you ask why they say they are having money problems, due to working abroad and being unable to cash checks. Qchex is being used to send the "money" that you are to deposit (I am sending the check I received to the Secret Service). If I had opened that acct with Bank of Amer., I wonder if money would have been wired to me. That is originally what she wanted to do. So, I would look out for wired money, too. This woman even went so far as to place a call to me to see if I had gotten the check yet. I will do a lot of investigating on my own as well as sending the information to the Secret Service, who claims I have nothing to worry about in terms of safety. I wonder how true that is since the Qchex has the name of a person (Michael R. Corbett)from NY, NY and the phone call she placed to me came thru from Ontario. Anyone have any advice on my safety and how I can further investigate?

Return to Top
#354355 - 06/05/05 03:49 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
LifeNotFair Offline
New Poster
CT
Definitely a scam. They IM'd me as well. They love that BUZZ button! Can be very convincing, but do NOT cash any of these checks as the back side of the checks will then have your acct #'s on them and they can make counterfeit checks and steal from our acct that way.

Return to Top
#354356 - 06/06/05 08:29 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Anymore, I would also be wary of the person wanting to wire you money. On a Qchex I saw recently our customer said he was expecting a wire to his account. He provided the wire information and the person used it to have Qchex create a check from his account instead.

Return to Top
#354357 - 06/06/05 09:16 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Many times what happens as well is that instead of wiring money to your account, the scammer will Fedex a counterfeit check to your bank with instructions to deposit it to your account. You call in to check your balance and think your wire has arrived when in reality it was a counterfeit check deposited to your account.

Return to Top
#354358 - 06/06/05 09:26 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

Anyone have any advice on my safety and how I can further investigate?

What purpose does it serve for you to "further investigate" as:

1. you are already aware it is fraudulent
2. will be sending the item to the secret service
3. you fear for your safety.

Quit answering their IMs (yes, you can block them), block their emails, or change your email and IM address. Continuing to correspond with them is irresponsible on your part. Let the secret service do their job; unless you have the resources to go to Canada, New York City, and Nigeria, you are wasting time and effort. You may even want to close yourt current bank accounts and open new ones, or at least ask your bank to flag yours to not accept pre-authorized drafts.

Return to Top
#354359 - 06/07/05 02:57 PM Re: Qchex & Internet Auction Scams
MrsSparky Offline
New Poster
Iowa
I was just about to add a post about a customer of ours when I read the post from LifeNotFair. I work for a community bank in Iowa and, in the last 30 days, had a customer attempt to make two separate deposits of $6500: one was a demand draft and the other "electronically signed" check -- both were from Qchex. Luckily, our teller knew this was unusual for the customer and put holds on both deposits, which of course came back as counterfeit. His story is a little different than LifeNotFair's -- this woman was supposedly here and they were "dating". But she asked him to help her out by depositing checks into his account for her business -- it's interesting that the checks were actually payable to our customer! The "girlfriend" has now supposedly gone back to England. So, it's not just an internet auction scam, but like other frauds has pieces to the never-ending puzzle.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z