Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#354927 - 05/03/05 06:05 PM Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
lisac1 Offline
New Poster
Does anyone have a policy on having photos of family and friends on new accounts desks or teller stations? I would like to create a policy stating they are not allowed. Thanks

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#354928 - 05/04/05 02:04 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
threereds Offline
100 Club
threereds
Western New York State
We do not have a policy but we encourage branch personnel not to have on their desks for their own safety.

Return to Top
#354929 - 05/05/05 01:30 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
lisac1 Offline
New Poster
Thanks

Return to Top
#354930 - 05/06/05 08:33 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
GregS Offline
100 Club
Sunny Florida
Our security policy doesn't allow family photos in public contact areas. It decreases exposure of officr and employee families to kidnap/extortion, etc. by loan denial, etc.

Return to Top
#354931 - 05/07/05 02:18 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
lisac1 Offline
New Poster
Thanks for your reply. Is there anyway you could email me your policy? lphilipp@easternsavingsbank.com

Return to Top
#354932 - 05/14/05 02:40 AM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

We do not have a policy but we encourage branch personnel not to have on their desks for their own safety.

I wish our bank would make a policy about this as well. We are required to have our real first and last name on name plates at our desks/stations and on all name tags. I really think it is unsafe.

Return to Top
#354933 - 07/02/05 07:45 AM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only "family photos" that our bank allows is those of the 4 legged kind. No one gets feelings hurt (except for those who have snakes, birds,ect...) :-)

About 8 years ago I worked for a bank that had a kidnap of the bank manager's famiy. When she and her husband left for work, they took her kids. When she came home, there was nothing she could do but waiting until the morning when they took her to the bank and picked it clean. This put the fear in the whole company. I gives me a reminder that when you are a bank employee, you need to make sure that you are always aware of your safety no matter how small the detail.

Return to Top
#354934 - 07/05/05 01:41 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Don't most bank managers have business cards? With their first and last name on them? I think it would be very difficult, unless you live in a town of about 500 people, to find a bank officer's family based on a picture. However, it would be much easier to find out where they live if they are kind enough to give you a business card. Better yet, why not just follow them home one night? I think that not allowing pictures is overkill.

Just my opinion...

Return to Top
#354935 - 07/05/05 02:11 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I can't tell you how often I've read the newspaper announcement of the new commercial lender, John Doe, who has X years of experience and went to Y college. He and his wife, Jane, have three kids and they attend the Z church...

I think life is full of pluses and minuses.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#354936 - 07/05/05 03:15 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I live in a town of 5,000 where eveyone knows everyone and I don't officially have a first and last name, my name is so-and-so's wife and such-and-such's daughter-in-law who lives in that yellow house on what-cha-ma-call street. That's always made me a little nearvous, here's hopeing there are no "bad guys" in town.

Return to Top
#354937 - 07/05/05 06:20 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Better yet - in today's local paper, the local community bank has a listing of its newest shareholders, including their pictures and place of employment. Wonders never cease.

Return to Top
#354938 - 07/07/05 10:05 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
BofA's policy was no personal photo's (that included the cat) in view of the public. This included all front line staff as well as officers who received clients in their offices. I liked the policy and while we do not have that policy here, I encourage my staff to follow it. After a discussion of the "whys" they always do.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#354939 - 07/08/05 01:29 AM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
I would think that dog and cat loving customers would welcome such pictures. They add an animal lover's quality to relationships that carries over to customer relationships.

Return to Top
#354940 - 07/08/05 11:49 AM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sometimes it is also a matter of clutter, keeping the workspace more "professional" than "personal" and avoiding "well the person in the picture with my dog isn't family..." and you just avoid the whole problem. Who knows.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#354941 - 07/08/05 03:38 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

IMO where you are employed is your home away from home.... think about it you spend as much time at work as you do home without the sleep at night!!! Having a picture or two gives you a great mind set of what you are working for professional and personal are the same in like varieties. Customers prefer to know who they are dealing with just as we (bankers) like to know who we are dealing with. A picture is harmless but if you feel for your own security then dont have them at your sation keep them in your wallet!

Return to Top
#354942 - 07/11/05 05:53 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
I figure since my business cards have my last name on them, I will also have pictures of my kid on my desk. I also have a photo of my dogs, and one of my wedding. This too is a small town though, I have been followed home by a crazy customer and have had the police involved. The pictures of my son make me a better worker, they remind me why I stay!!! I dont' think that is any worse than having my last name on my card. I wouldn't do business with anyone that wouldn't give me their last name. In addition, we are required to have community involvement as a condition of our employment, the community already knows about my home life to that extent with or without the pics.

Return to Top
#354943 - 07/12/05 02:38 AM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Not to get off topic, but if we really see a risk, perhaps putting pictures on the desks of the banks biggest charge off customers could be helpful in finding them and keeping the credit life active.

Return to Top
#354944 - 07/12/05 10:26 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think a good way to look at this is to look at the point of security. Security is not a single process or product, it is a series of layers that lowers risk.

Not having family pictures on desks in public contact areas reduces risks but certainty will not stop a determined individual. The absence of pictures on a banker's desk does two things: it helps eliminate a potential crime of opportunity, and provides less information about the banker. Of course anyone could find out more about someone's personal life through many avenues, but why voluntary give out information?

It may seem like a silly thing, but as we have seen in the news recently, people do some incredible things (especially when it comes to children).

Return to Top
#354945 - 07/13/05 07:47 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
maggiey711 Offline
New Poster
Even before I was in banking, I never had a "vanity" plate on my car (meaning the front ones with your name and a cute picture on it) I don't want to give strangers anything to start a conversation with me. I also try to keep my son from wearing his ball team shirts with either his first or last name on it when we go out of town. Don't need some crazy person walking up and saying Hi, kid and him thinking he might know them since they knew his name. It's a crazy world. Guess I'm paranoid enough I was destined for a job in audit/security/fraud.

Return to Top
#354946 - 07/18/05 03:00 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
we were also told to have your phone number unlisted, even as teller... it makes you a little less easy to find.

Return to Top
#354947 - 07/18/05 03:10 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think customers like to know who they are dealing with. As a bank officer, you are likely, or should be involved in your community, therfore people are going to know who your family is.

Return to Top
#354948 - 07/18/05 04:46 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agree with # 392884 to a degree... when you are in community banking that would be true.. but nationwide banks are different story. If you feel for your own security then dont have pictures unlist your phone number and heck why your at it.... put a bag over your head that way NOONE knows your true identity!! JK ... But pictures can be a relaxing mind set to why you are at this job in the first place! I said in a previous post that your place of employmeny is your home away from home. To look at your pictures of children, pets, spouse or whatever can keep in a sane mental status otherwise we all might be in the nuthouse one day.. jk ... its monday just trying to put a smile on your face! It is true that no matter what precaustions you take if they really wanted to know who you are they can with a easy payment of $29.95 from the internet. People will stop at nothing so therefore... Live your life dont be scared and worried all the time you can never predict the future!

Return to Top
#354949 - 07/18/05 08:01 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm going to guess that anon has never experienced being stalked by angry clients, nor ever seen the family of staff members in danger because of those pictures.

Sure I'm known in the community, but that does not mean my 5 year old's smiling face needs to be public. I love my family too much to ever put them in danger in that manner.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#354950 - 07/18/05 08:23 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

In response to Dawnie... I truly understand that people can go crazy over their money but like I said they can find out about you regardless if you have a picture out there or not!! place of employment (which is obvious) and your name and they can find out things you probably dont even know are in your background... ... it is what they call identity theft It seems like not that big of a deal.. But i think pictures are not bad compared to just knowing what kind of car you drive

Return to Top
#354951 - 07/18/05 10:29 PM Re: Family/friends photos on desks/teller stations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dawnie:

If as a bank officer, I make a client mad, or someone wants to cause harm to my family, in this day and age they can get that information so easily. I think its everyone's preferance, do what you feel most comfortable with, but don't ever knock what someone else feels is their best interest. Give them your advice, and why you feel that way, and let them choose. I know looking at my children's picture and his smile cheers me up when I've had a stressful meeting or a upset client.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z