Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#35976 - 10/04/02 07:27 PM Audit staff vs Bank's asset size
AnnRoy Offline
Platinum Poster
AnnRoy
South
Just curious...... Is there a benchmark used (externally/internally) regarding how many internal auditors are needed based on a bank's asset size?

Return to Top
Audit
#35977 - 10/04/02 08:02 PM Re: Audit staff vs Bank's asset size
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Asset size is important, but the number of lines of business (i.e., consumer,commercial, mortgage, retail banking, business banking, personal banking, etc.) will make a difference also. I've never seen a majic formula.

Return to Top
#35978 - 10/04/02 08:03 PM Re: Audit staff vs Bank's asset size
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I've never heard of one, but I would wager that many banks are understaffed in their audit department.

Return to Top
#35979 - 10/04/02 08:08 PM Re: Audit staff vs Bank's asset size
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think that it really comes down to the overall risk management stratigy that a bank is operating under. You can rely heavily on an audit staff or have other processes in place to mitigate the risks, i.e., an on-going self-evaluation process, etc. It depend where they want to spend the money and how much risk they feel certain operations represent.

Return to Top
#35980 - 10/04/02 08:58 PM Re: Audit staff vs Bank's asset size
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I agree with you on the risk management, but self-evaluations only go so far in providing a true picture. In my opinion, an auditor who is truly independent is much more effective than a self-evaluation. However, many banks don't have the bottom line to afford a full-time internal auditor, so they have to outsource. That's better than nothing, but outsourced auditors show up generally quarterly. The mere presence of a (competent) full time internal auditor (or auditors) is a reminder to staff and management that there is a system of accountability. That can serve as a control in itself.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z