Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#361531 - 05/19/05 09:23 PM Re: Fashion Police
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I bet your boss is the type of guy that carried a briefcase instead of a backpack in high school!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#361532 - 05/19/05 09:30 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Really, sandals with hose is a never? Is that a texas thing or true in the northwest too?

I love wearing sandals. I hate hose but where I work hose is required. If I pay by your rules I will never get to wear my sandals -- say it isn't so.

2 years from retirement!

Return to Top
#361533 - 05/19/05 09:30 PM Re: Fashion Police
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
We are not allowed to wear capris at work, and I have always wondered why. Maybe it is because they are worried what people will wear with them. It all makes sense now.

Return to Top
#361534 - 05/19/05 09:45 PM Re: Fashion Police
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, so how about this one...reinforced toe pantyhose or knee highs with sandals? I say it is a fashion don't but have several women around here that do it!

NOOOOOOO! *NO* stockings with sandals/open toed shoes! That is a HUGE fashion faux pas.

Definitely think one needs polished toenails with open toed shoes (without stockings of course!)

Return to Top
#361535 - 05/20/05 12:42 AM Re: Fashion Police
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Hey wait, wingtips and jeans with a polo is NOT a fashion error. Have you not heard that you can tell how much money a man makes, no matter if he's casually dressed or dressed for work by looking at his shoes and his watch? I'm sorry, but a man who wears nice shoes with his jeans is a well dressed man.

Now for the woman who wears the knee socks with her capris. She is apparently planning on a golf outting right after work and has no time to change.

(or she's an idiot)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#361536 - 05/20/05 06:41 AM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right on Dawnie!!! regarding the man's attire.

Return to Top
#361537 - 05/20/05 10:30 AM Re: Fashion Police
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Disagree, sorry. It is still possible to wear nice and appropriate shoes without looking like you left your other shoes in the car. I'm not saying he should wear sneakers but a nice pair of loafers or TopSiders is far more appropriate for the casualness of jeans + polo than wingtips, which just make him look like a poseur.

Return to Top
#361538 - 05/20/05 12:47 PM Re: Fashion Police
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I disagree about the polish on the toenails. Clean, well shaped and cared for toenails do NOT need polish. Fingernails and toenails start turning yellow when you wear polish all the time (lack of oxygen), so that after a while you have no choice but to wear it.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#361539 - 05/20/05 01:11 PM Re: Fashion Police
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I agree and especially if they come to work with the polish half on and half off their fingers and toes. That's not a pretty sight either.

Return to Top
#361540 - 05/20/05 01:26 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I disagree about the polish on the toenails. Clean, well shaped and cared for toenails do NOT need polish. Fingernails and toenails start turning yellow when you wear polish all the time (lack of oxygen), so that after a while you have no choice but to wear it.

Waldensouth, I used to think this as well, but what I found is that leaving nails bare for a few days to let them rest is a common myth. Fingernails are made of dead cells, and they don't need to breathe. They turn yellow from the polish yes, but because a good quality base coat is not used. Try it, use a good (not cheap) basecoat and you will find you can wear polish 24/7/365 without your nails turning yellow.

Return to Top
#361541 - 05/20/05 01:27 PM Re: Fashion Police
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky
I agree too. Clean, well-groomed toenails do not need to be polished. I think brightly polished toenails do not look professional although it is fine for outside of work.

Return to Top
#361542 - 05/20/05 01:37 PM Re: Fashion Police
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Hey wait, wingtips and jeans with a polo is NOT a fashion error. Have you not heard that you can tell how much money a man makes, no matter if he's casually dressed or dressed for work by looking at his shoes and his watch? I'm sorry, but a man who wears nice shoes with his jeans is a well dressed man.

So are you saying if he has money whatever he wears is ok and fashionable?

Return to Top
#361543 - 05/20/05 01:43 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

So are you saying if he has money whatever he wears is ok and fashionable?

not necessarily, it's just that the amount of money a man has is directly proportional to his dorkiness

Return to Top
#361544 - 05/20/05 01:50 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I'm sorry, but a man who wears nice shoes with his jeans is a well dressed man.:p

you mean he's a well dressed weirdo!

Return to Top
#361545 - 05/20/05 01:53 PM Re: Fashion Police
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Nice casual shoes, not athletic, are fine with jeans. A loafer or something. Wing tips are dorky!

Return to Top
#361546 - 05/20/05 02:11 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our CEO wears sneakers with his suit. Top that one!

Return to Top
#361547 - 05/20/05 02:38 PM Re: Fashion Police
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
OK, here is a fashion question…

Which is more fashionable for men? Wearing a white crewneck tee or a colored crewneck tee under a colored oxford or polo shirt (with the top button or two open)? Or no tee (maybe an A-shirt)?

Return to Top
#361548 - 05/20/05 02:40 PM Re: Fashion Police
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Which is more fashionable for men? Wearing a white crewneck tee or a colored crewneck tee under a colored oxford or polo shirt (with the top button or two open)? Or no tee (maybe an A-shirt)?

White T. But it doesn't matter if you have money.

Return to Top
#361549 - 05/20/05 02:45 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

William, I think that's an age thing. Personally, I always wear a white or grey crewneck. With a polo, or any shirt without a tie, I always leave the top button only unbuttoned.

A lot of older guys would never wear a t-shirt you could see, and that means either a v-neck or wifebeater or no t-shirt. I personally never understood the wifebeater - it's not going to keep you from sweating through in your pits, anyway. And I hate the no t-shirt look. I guess the v-neck is ok, but it's not my preference - I don't want anything that will show chest hair.

Return to Top
#361550 - 05/20/05 03:14 PM Re: Fashion Police
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
Quote:

Disagree, sorry. It is still possible to wear nice and appropriate shoes without looking like you left your other shoes in the car. I'm not saying he should wear sneakers but a nice pair of loafers or TopSiders is far more appropriate for the casualness of jeans + polo than wingtips, which just make him look like a poseur.

Actually, the question is not only about the wingtips, but more accurately, Why Jeans? For a well-dressed man, jeans are for yardwork and little else (i.e., a rock concert). If there was some occaision where wingtips were remotely appropriate, jeans would not be. Any man with enough resources to own nice shoes and an expensive watch sould know enough to realize that chinos paired with bucks or loafers would be much better with a polo shirt than jeans and/or wingtips.

Return to Top
#361551 - 05/20/05 03:23 PM Re: Fashion Police
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, what about goths who wear expensive clothing all over but it doesn't follow current "fall into the GAP" fashion standards?

Return to Top
#361552 - 05/20/05 03:24 PM Re: Fashion Police
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I guess I grew up in the older generation. I think dresses with no hose are not professional looking. Plus I hate seeing all those panty-lines on the young girls. And if you aren't skinny, you jiggle when you walk. Wear some panty hose and get that sleek look. I can't wear polish on my nails - I get a fungus infection and my nail comes loose from the bed. I've had this since high school and there's not much I can do about it.

Return to Top
#361553 - 05/20/05 03:28 PM Re: Fashion Police
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Quote:

I like to see a guy with a white t-shirt underneath...but none of the guys around here wear an undershirt at all.

Here's a question...I've got fairly long straight hair...about 3-4 inches below my shoulders. I cannot stand for it to be in my face when I'm working (or in general) so I almost always have it pulled back. Whenever I wear a suit it's in a pony tail (think Jennifer Gardner in Alias) . Occasionally on casual Friday's I wear it down.

What looks the most professional? Up, down? Pony tail, bun, braid?

I won't do the clippies...that's just too 1980 something!

Return to Top
#361554 - 05/20/05 03:30 PM Re: Fashion Police
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Trivia question regarding the "no t-shirt" look:

What movie, many, many years ago had its protagonist remove his shirt to reveal that he was not wearing a t-shirt thereby influencing men across the country to stop wearing t-shirts. Manufacturer of t-shirts actually felt the financial impact when men (or their wives) in the U.S. bought fewer t-shirts.

Return to Top
#361555 - 05/20/05 04:00 PM Re: Fashion Police
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Quote:

Trivia question regarding the "no t-shirt" look:

What movie, many, many years ago had its protagonist remove his shirt to reveal that he was not wearing a t-shirt thereby influencing men across the country to stop wearing t-shirts. Manufacturer of t-shirts actually felt the financial impact when men (or their wives) in the U.S. bought fewer t-shirts.

Picnic?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4