Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#361827 - 05/23/05 07:53 PM Re: Non-athletic child
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
A person I heard speak once had a son play quarterback in a high school championship football game. With the game on the line, his son threw an interception and the defensive back eluded his son's diving tackle to score the winning touchdown. As his son lay there on the field looking into the dirt, this father said a prayer. His prayer? That his son "feel" every bit of what had just happened. The father was not sadistic, he wanted the event to build his son's character and part of that was for him to learn humility.

Now, a mother likely would have prayed that they'd let her on the film to hold her baby. That's generally our mothers' balancing role to our fathers': "If it doesn't kill'em, it makes them tougher" attitudes. I think we need both.
Last edited by Obi Wan Z-kobe; 05/23/05 08:02 PM.

Return to Top
#361828 - 05/23/05 08:16 PM Re: Non-athletic child
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

I've got a couple problems with this Dawnie. First off, let me say that there are experiences to be had on an athletic field that can't be had other places. I know that this is something you're going to call me a jock or meat-head for, but playing through pain with teammates is something that can't be compared to. My best friends in life I met through sports and I know I can count on them in any situation because we've been through battles (mentally AND physically) in the past.

First, I didn't say that all team sports were wrong, I said if the kid didn't like them, don't force it. I have played team sports. Heck my family is no different than most others, we throw together a baseball game on occasion (or did when we were kids. I don't remember saying team sports were all together bad, they're just not for everyone, especially at school. I still played soccer on occasion, swam, skated, puff football.

But if you think the value of being smashed in public (I'm small, that happened a great deal) by someone three times your size makes you a better person, well that I disagree with. I learned about suffering when I broke my ankle skating in a competition, I've "worked through pain" and while it was an experience, I don't recommend it terribly highly. If you break your ankle, get off the damned ice stupid!

I remember many of the jocks that were friends (I did cheerlead for many years). Let's see...Brad is in jail for some kind of fraud...Mark is in jail for murder, Brian killed himself (could never live up to dad's expectations of being a professional basketball player) Bruce has knees that barely carry his frame anymore due to the football injuries...Ya it's all good ::eyes rolling again::

I've never tackled my closest friends, but when I faced a very difficult professional decision, they supported me. When I thought I had cancer, they were there for me, when I murdered my ex, they helped me move the bod...umm nevermind Anyhoo, despite our lack of team sport experience, I know they'll be with me through thick and thin. You can find friends like this througout life, and they don't have to be proven on the football field. Heck Mark (the murderer) hardly EVER called when I was in need of a friend...and he had all the time in the world!

Quote:

And your point about sports teaching children humiliation, what would you prefer? Since when did humility become a bad lesson to learn? I'm not saying that repeated humiliation is a good thing, but being put in your place every once in a while is a good thing. But, according to you, if you're not good at it in the first place, you should give up? Don't even bother working through it? What does that teach a child?

I did NOT say if you're not good at it, give up. I don't believe in quitting without giving something a try. In fact I believe quite the opposite. Any parent who allows their child to do only what they will excell at, is a failed parent. They raise children who become adults who can't deal with failure. I married one of these. It took years of reconditioning to give that man the guts to do what HE wanted, even if he failed, verses what his mother felt would be good for him. I still remember my sister-in-law going out for Miss Chimacum My mother in law said, when she was filling out the application, "My god, you could lose!" She did, but she was a better person afterwards (mother in law didn't forgive me for encouraging her) Heck a kid can try something, and then if it's a fair try and then let it go. Believe me, they'll find humility somewhere along the line. Through life I've won many first places, but I've also come in towards the end of the same contests. I deal with failure just fine without having to stand in left field on a daily basis. But why force the kid to do what YOU want them to do. Let them fail at the things that interest them! It's much easier for a kid to want to try something they like, and to apply themselves because they chose it than if you did.

I played the violin for 16 years. I was really good. WHen I moved from my fathers home at the age of 18 I sold that stupid violin the first week. I HATED THE VIOLIN!!! My freaking father wanted me to achieve his dreams of being first chair of the junior symphony. He made me play that stupid thing when I wanted to skate. And you know what...I learned to play the damn thing, did win first chair, and turned it down So from my father's dream I learned spitefulness and that forcing a child to live your dream is just wrong.

Quote:

And you also say that you shouldn't force a kid to do anything he doesn't want to, even though you think it'd be good for him. What kind of logic is this? Do you think that children are always aware of what's good for them?

I think you have some eye trouble..can you quote me on that? I don't believe I said it.

I think you should force your children to try every vegetable on the planet, and if they squak about it, give them a second scoop. Serve it for breakfast if they squak more...they'll learn to quit squaking and to at least try before whining.

I think you should force your children to go to bed at reasonable hours so they get enough sleep to be good students the next day.

I think you should force your children to obey house rules, and if not, teach them the consequences. Children need to respect their parents.

I think you don't need to force your children to try things. If you instead encourage, and then require that they give it a fair try, you will raise well rounded children who are not bitter, and not afraid to voice their desires to try something in your presence. Force is not a word that should be used as much as encourage. Force is a negative, Encourage is a positive. I'd rather have positive children than children I've "forced" to do my bidding.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#361829 - 05/23/05 08:26 PM Re: Non-athletic child
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

I think it's terribly cruel to force a kid to do this type of thing if they don't want to.

This is where my horrible eyesight caught your comment . I'm not trying to take it out of context, you made this comment in regards to being humiliated. There's no way to know if the child will be humiliated, won't like it, or just won't be good at it unless they try...

Return to Top
#361830 - 05/23/05 09:02 PM Re: Non-athletic child
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Ok that's a stretch if there ever was one. I think it's terribly cruel to force a kid to do "this type of thing" (we were talking sports) if they don't want to. Is not "You shouldn't force a kid to do anything they don't want to".

Heck I still don't like cleaning my room, but someone (normally the cats) does make me on occasion.

Why "Force" failure as a lesson on the sport of YOUR choice? When it could instead be a lesson learned in the field of THEIR choice?

Return to Top
#361831 - 05/23/05 09:14 PM Re: Non-athletic child
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
The problem I had was that you made sports seem like torture. Although it was for you (judging from your post), that doesn't mean it will be for someone else. "Forcing" failure on someone is a stretch if ever there was one. So you know how well the child will do? You're calling it cruel based on your experience. I remember thinking that having to eat my vegetables was cruel. I guess that if you think sports are "terribly cruel," where do you stop? Do you stop with things you enjoyed?

Return to Top
#361832 - 05/23/05 09:20 PM Re: Non-athletic child
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
blue...I think you are just trying to pick a fight at this point. You are totally missing the point of what Dawnie was saying. Sports were torture for her and she said that a child should not be FORCED to participate in a sport (or any activity) that they hate. No one is arguing the fact that sports played a major role in your life and were beneficial TO YOU, etc, etc, etc...that is not the case for all people...sports are not for everyone...there are other activities that can teach kids what sports taught you (yes there are).

Return to Top
#361833 - 05/23/05 09:23 PM Re: Non-athletic child
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Ok then Sarah, how does the child know that they hate it? They KNOW that they hate the sport as much as they KNOW they hate vegetables, band, student council, etc. So how come sports falls into a category that it's ok not to try? I think sports are getting a bad rep...

Return to Top
#361834 - 05/23/05 09:26 PM Re: Non-athletic child
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Quote:

I remember many of the jocks that were friends (I did cheerlead for many years). Let's see...Brad is in jail for some kind of fraud...Mark is in jail for murder, Brian killed himself (could never live up to dad's expectations of being a professional basketball player) Bruce has knees that barely carry his frame anymore due to the football injuries...Ya it's all good ::eyes rolling again::

I never said it's all good but apparently you're making it to be all bad! What do these stories have to do with anything? For every negative outcome, there are positive ones as well. I'd go out on a limb and guess (I remember seeing a stat a while back) that the majority of politicians in our country played sports...

Return to Top
#361835 - 05/23/05 09:27 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
No one said not to try it. They said not to force to continue. But if a kid is terrified of trying out for a team, who cares? Let it go.

You get old and you die. Will it matter 100 years from now? Why be miserable.

It's not worth arguing over.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#361836 - 05/23/05 09:55 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
In the beginning of the post Devil Queen states that this is her son's 4th year of baseball and each game day he prays for rain. She states that her ex-husband insists that the child must be in organized sports. We don't know why he is compelled to have his son in organizeds sports but after 4 years of playing baseball that he doesn't like the father should realize this is not the childs dream. Maybe something other than baseball would be better for him.

I agree with bluebanker in encouraging children to play organized sports. Especially at the elementary and junior high levels. With the statistics on child obesity it would seem many children are not getting enough exercise. Just drive around the area parks on a nice summer day and count the children playing. When I was a child all the neighborhood kids would meet at a vacant lot and play organized sports. Age or ability didn't matter. Kids don't play like that anymore. You do have to let your child make the choice on what they want to try and encourage them to give it a fair chance.

Whether it is organized sports, violin lessons, theatre, fishing or whatever other interests people have, parents should be encouraging and not forceful. Yet, you can't allow them to give up after the first time or they won't learn how to give things a chance.

Furthermore, I would never force my child to eat every vegetable on the planet and if they didn't like it give them another scoop. I would encourage them to try it and if they didn't like it, at least they gave it a try.

Return to Top
#361837 - 05/23/05 10:54 PM Re: Non-athletic child
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

For every negative outcome, there are positive ones as well. I'd go out on a limb and guess (I remember seeing a stat a while back) that the majority of politicians in our country played sports...

Oh dear...I think you might want to try another analogy for "good guys who come from sports". I'm not sure this group of folks is the best example. How about Pat Tillman instead?

For every bad there is a good, and every good there is a bad. I'm not arguing the value of sports, I'm saying there is no value in "force". And that, despite what you think, one can be just as good of a person having not played rugby than having played. I believe I clearly said that "Team" activities are great for kids. All the values a kid needs to learn in a sports team can be found on other types of team activities.

Also, I didn't and wouldn't say don't try. But having given it a try, why force? That's where the whole issue goes south. If a kid tries out for baseball and plays for a season, why on earth would you force them on to a second, third, etc. They tried, didn't like it, and that's it. How long does that take to figure out (if they've given it a fair try) well that is different given the child. Some kids give up on everything too soon, and should be ENCOURAGED to continue and some take four years. A kid praying for rain though...that's just sad.

And to clairfy the vegi issue We only got the second scoop if we didn't take a taste of the vegi of the day and chose whining as our tactic of avoidance. Normally this was my sister. I learned the dog loved everything but corn

Return to Top
#361838 - 05/24/05 03:09 AM Re: Non-athletic child
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
blue, Maybe I'm not grasping your reasoning here but how does anyone know they hate anything? I believe that DQ said her son has played baseball for four years...I think that is an adequate amount of time to determine if this is something he wants to continue or not. Also, he is only 9 years old...he may not stay away from baseball forever. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the playing sports issue because I have played sports my whole life. That is the path I chose. On the otherhand, I also did not limit myself to sports alone. I was involved in other activities/youth groups and included non-sports people in my circle of friends. Any organized activity is beneficial to our youth, not just sports. That is all I am trying to say. I don't mean to speak for other people but I believe that is a common theme throughout these threads. If DQ's son choses not to play baseball, in my opinion, that is okay as it sounds like he is a well-rounded child and likes to participate in other activities. Being forced to play a sport that he clearly does not like will turn him away from organized sports altogether.

Return to Top
#361839 - 05/24/05 12:33 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OK guys, the horse is officially dead... beaten to bloody death... poor Mr. Ed.

Return to Top
#361840 - 05/24/05 01:57 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

The problem I had was that you made sports seem like torture. Although it was for you (judging from your post), that doesn't mean it will be for someone else. "Forcing" failure on someone is a stretch if ever there was one. So you know how well the child will do? You're calling it cruel based on your experience. I remember thinking that having to eat my vegetables was cruel. I guess that if you think sports are "terribly cruel," where do you stop? Do you stop with things you enjoyed?

For me, playing T-ball and baseball was torture inflicted upon me. Football and Soccer, I loved. But Baseball was torture, just standing in the outfield ready to take a nap. But my MOTHER insisted I play for over 10 years.

Return to Top
#361841 - 05/24/05 02:13 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

But Baseball was torture, just standing in the outfield ready to take a nap. But my MOTHER insisted I play for over 10 years.

As someone who once was an assistant coach for my daughter's softball team, I can say that parents who do this are a real problem. By forcing a child to play in a sport that they do not enjoy, you are not only punishing the child but the other children and coaches as well. I had a young girl on the team that was always whining, asking to rest or get a drink of water and never wanting to participate. I actually asked her parents to take her home because she was so disruptive it was unfair to the children that wanted to play. The child in question needed physical activity but obviously a group sport was not the ideal for her and it is not the ideal for all children.

Return to Top
#361842 - 05/24/05 04:20 PM Re: Non-athletic child
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
I agree with DQ. Apparently I'm either too dumb to communicate my point or my opinion is wrong (I've been told that on numerous posts...go figure). On a side note, there's a new show on Bravo, I believe, that features sports moms and dads. That is going to be a sad, sad show that I will probably watch religiously!

Return to Top
#361843 - 05/24/05 06:44 PM Re: Non-athletic child
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

I'm either too dumb to communicate my point or my opinion is wrong

Ah, welcome to my world!!!

Return to Top
#361844 - 05/24/05 07:29 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I would ask him why he doesn't like it. Is it because the coaches are too into winning. My 4 year old plays baseball, and so far enjoys it. But his coaches get too into the game and get mad if they start to lose. I always try to ask all the kids if they are having fun and tell them that as long as they do their best, that's all that matters. Alot of kids don't like organized sports because of all the pressure. The adults surrounding the game want all the kids to play like Barry Bonds and WIN WIN WIN, instead of emphasizing that it is a GAME--IE FUN.

Return to Top
#361845 - 05/24/05 07:56 PM Re: Non-athletic child
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

The child in question needed physical activity but obviously a group sport was not the ideal for her and it is not the ideal for all children.

Kansayaku: Does this mean the kid was noticeably out of shape? If so, maybe it wasn't just team sports that made her whiny. Maybe it was any kind of physical activity. I would not recommend softball as the sport to use to get a kid in shape. There is a lot strategy and skill to playing the game, but also a lot of standing around and sitting. A child who is out of shape would benefit more from something like soccer. Constant activity.

Return to Top
#361846 - 05/24/05 08:23 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

Kansayaku: Does this mean the kid was noticeably out of shape? If so, maybe it wasn't just team sports that made her whiny. Maybe it was any kind of physical activity. I would not recommend softball as the sport to use to get a kid in shape. There is a lot strategy and skill to playing the game, but also a lot of standing around and sitting. A child who is out of shape would benefit more from something like soccer. Constant activity.

She was a bit larger around the middle than most of the other children her age, not obese just a bit of remaining baby-fat. She whined however, because her mother thought that softball practice was cheaper than the babysitter so she was forced to attend although she didn't like the sport. They had her in soccer with my daughter as well though I wasn't coaching but she managed to stand at the goal area on one end and chat with other girls rather than actually playing and as the coaches said nothing to her about it, she didn't whine so much there.

Return to Top
#361847 - 05/24/05 08:26 PM Re: Non-athletic child
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
wow - now that's a new one... I would never of thought of sports in lieu of a babysitter, or the cost factor thereof! WOW.... that's just sad when you think about it.

Return to Top
#361848 - 05/25/05 02:02 PM Re: Non-athletic child
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Quote:

wow - now that's a new one... I would never of thought of sports in lieu of a babysitter, or the cost factor thereof! WOW.... that's just sad when you think about it.

Unfortunately that does indeed occur, and I've had kids whose parents rarely if ever came to a game. It's certainly unrealistic to expect parents to make every game, but attending half of the games would be a good thing. I once had a parent drop a kid off at the wrong park for a practice before anyone was there. After she started crying because she did not recognize anyone, a coach found out who her coach was, looked on the master schedule to see where my team was scheduled, and drove over to our field to tell us she was there. We went and picked her up, couldn't get a hold of the parents, so we had to drive her back to the wrong field 10 minutes early so she could get picked up (this was back in the day before everybody had cell phones). The wrong field thing will happen, but dropping an eight year old off without knowing the coach is there wasn't real bright.

Return to Top
#361849 - 05/25/05 04:10 PM Re: Non-athletic child
dare2dream Offline
100 Club
dare2dream
California
Wow JJ... that's just amazing frighting!!! I know "back in the day" it was ok to drop a kid off somewhere, and you pretty much knew they would be OK, but goodness what is the world coming too..... Granted daycare is expensive, but geez.....

Return to Top
#361850 - 05/25/05 04:18 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I once had three extra children going home with me after a soccer practice because it started raining and the coach called practice only half into the time scheduled. None of the children's parents were there nor could they be reached by phone and the coach just left along with all the other parents. I would have stayed until the parents arrived but it was cold, the children were wet and one of them had to use the water closet which of course was unavailable at the time. We called and left messages for parents once we arrived at my house and much later in the evening the last parent finally arrived to pick their little darling up. "I got your message that she was at your house so I wasn't worried about her." (ARRRGH!) Needless to say, I feel justified in providing my daughter with a cell phone to take with her to all practices, games, meets, etc. so that if she needs to contact me before I get there or from the bus (The driver got lost once on the way to a swim meet. We had some pretty nervous parents waiting at the pool until I got a call), she can.

Return to Top
#361851 - 05/25/05 04:33 PM Re: Non-athletic child
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Some people are so stupid, they shouldn't be permitted to have children.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett