BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#362481 - 05/23/05 03:01 PM It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Said Howard Dean, Sunday on Meet the Press:

Quote:

Frankly, my moral values are offended by some of the things I hear on programs like "Rush Limbaugh,' and we don't have to put up with that."

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting comment from a former governor, a past candidate for the Presidency, and the leader of one of the two major US political parties.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#362482 - 05/23/05 03:14 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this wonderful free country of ours.....but Dr. Dean could have your name...Jokerman.... Even some governors are "too busy" to meet with him. He is an embarassment.

I'll bet Rush eats him up good on his radio show today, wish I could hear it, but alas, work beckons me.
Last edited by wacokid; 05/23/05 03:16 PM.

Return to Top
#362483 - 05/23/05 03:31 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Frankly, my moral values are offended by some of the things I hear on programs like "Rush Limbaugh,' and we don't have to put up with that."

Now, what was the context of the quote? Here, I'll help:

Russert noted that Dean had made some rather disparaging remarks regarding the drug problems Rush Limbaugh (and others) had experienced, and many individuals in support of Limbaugh had criticized Dean for his remarks. Russert asked a pointed question along the lines of: "since you're a medical doctor, isn't making light of others' drug problems somewhat unethical?"

A fair question.

Dean responded that liberals (Democrats, whatever) have to endure an ongoing deluge of criticism from conservatives (Republicans, whatever) on moral grounds. Dean's remarks were to point out that considering conservatives (Republicans, whatever) are having their OWN moral issues, perhaps they should think twice about getting in the pulpit.

Please note, this question closely followed a series of questions where Dean was defending his stance on abortion (Dean: I'm not pro-abortion, I am pro-choice).

Quote:

we don't have to put up with that."

So is this quote really about tolerance? If you take the quote from its context, clearly it is not. This quote is about glass houses and why people shouldn't be throwing rocks at them.
Last edited by Chi; 05/23/05 03:32 PM.

Return to Top
#362484 - 05/23/05 03:43 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
No, the abortion questions came after this quote. The questions that came before Dr. Dean's threat were:

Quote:

Let me stay on your rhetoric. January, I mentioned that "I hate the Republicans, what they stand for, good and evil, we are the good." In March, you said, "Republicans are brain dead." You mentioned you're a physician--and this is April. "[Dean] did draw howls of laughter by mimicking a drug-snorting Rush Limbaugh. `I'm not very dignified,' Dean said."
But is it appropriate for a physician to mock somebody who has gone into therapy and the abuse for drug addiction?
But should you jump in the fray and be mocking those kind of people?

Now, as to context, I agree that's important. And really, I don't care too much about what he said. But here's the deal. The President's spokesman, in the weeks after 9/11, was critical of Bill Maher's statements that the terrorists were brave for committing suicide by crashing airplanes into buildings, while Americans were cowardly for launching rockets from a distance. "People ought to be careful what they say," he said (paraphrased). And the liberals went nuts. Well, here's a liberal politician saying that he's not going to put up with someone disagreeing with him on issues of morality...

Where's the outrage?

Return to Top
#362485 - 05/23/05 04:31 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Rush Limbaugh talked about this for a minute just now on his show. Basically said he is happy that Dean feels the need to attack him, and then talked about Dean's comments regarding Tom Delay:

Quote:

MR. RUSSERT: But, Governor, you did on May 14 say something about Tom DeLay that raised a lot of eyebrows. Let's watch Howard Dean on Tom DeLay.
(Videotape, May 14):
DR. DEAN: I think Tom DeLay ought to go back to Houston, where he can serve his jail sentence down there courtesy of the Texas taxpayers.
(End videotape)
MR. RUSSERT: "Serve his jail sentence"? He--what's he been convicted of?
DR. DEAN: He hasn't been convicted yet, but he is also, in addition to the things that I just mentioned, under investigation in Texas by a district attorney down there for violating the campaign finance laws of Texas by funneling corporate donations, which is illegal, into certain campaign activities. This gentleman is not an ethical person, and he ought not to be leading Congress, period. And it is endemic of what happens in Congress when one party controls everything.
MR. RUSSERT: You said in December of 2003 that we shouldn't prejudge Osama bin Laden. How can you sit here and have a different standard for Tom DeLay and prejudge him?
DR. DEAN: To be honest with you, Tim, I don't think I'm prejudging him. ... I think there's a reasonable chance that this may end up in jail.

Rush's concluding statement: "I thought these people were the tolerant ones."

Return to Top
#362486 - 05/23/05 04:37 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jokerman...one of the least tolerant out here, lecturing about tolerance. Boy, that's rich.

Return to Top
#362487 - 05/23/05 04:45 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Jokerman...one of the least tolerant out here, lecturing about tolerance. Boy, that's rich.

Tell me one thing I don't tolerate.

Return to Top
#362488 - 05/23/05 06:20 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmmmmmmmmm......where to start....

Return to Top
#362489 - 05/23/05 06:33 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

It shouldn't be that hard.

Return to Top
#362490 - 05/23/05 06:35 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'll get you started:

1. Theft.

Return to Top
#362491 - 05/23/05 06:35 PM Re: It's all about TOLERANCE
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I don't voice my opinions in these threads but I do read them. In fairness to Jokerman, put-up or shut-up, and answer his question.

Return to Top