Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#362576 - 05/23/05 04:42 PM Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
ELC Offline
ELC
Pennsylvania
I have heard some rumblings about letting a customer choose their own Log-In ID and passwords and was hoping to get some feedback. Our internet banking product allows a customer to change their password so they have complete control over that (as long as it meets the minimum character length).

Currently, we (the bank) assign the Login ID to the customer and do not allow them to change it. It has been suggested by our management to allow the customer to create their own Login ID at the time of enrollment. I have heard rumblings that this is would not be a good practice.

Has anyone else heard this same rumbling or is anyone willing to share what their bank's practice is? Is there any regulatory guidance out there?

Thanks for your consideration

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#362577 - 05/23/05 05:50 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Does your bank only limit the ability to change information to the "Login ID" only or to the password as well? The primary concern would be that if both are set by the bank and not able to be changed by the user (customer), there is a potential for fraud by employees of the bank.

Return to Top
#362578 - 05/23/05 06:07 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
ELC Offline
ELC
Pennsylvania
Currently, the bank assigns the Login ID and that cannot be changed by the customer. The password is under the control of the customer and is unknown to the bank.

My concern is if we now let the customer control both the Login ID and password, as managment is suggesting, we may be more open to Login ID and password combos being compromised because customers will tend to use the same Login ID and password combo they use at other potentially un-secure websites.

Return to Top
#362579 - 05/23/05 06:32 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
There is nothing wrong with requiring that the customer keep the initial Login ID provided since they are capable of changing their password, actually it is common practice among banks to do so.

However, you should be sure that the Login ID is not something that can be easily tied to the customer (i.e. last four digits of the social or account number etc.)rather it should be rather generic.

Return to Top
#362580 - 05/23/05 06:47 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you permit for User IDs? Customers don't like to use SSN or name, it can identify them easily.

Return to Top
#362581 - 05/23/05 06:54 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
User IDs can easily be randomly generated groupings of letters, numbers and other characters that can provide non-specific, non-identifying user names for bank customers. Also, it is always better to use such combinations not only for user names but passwords as well as they are harder to break by hackers. (Example S7#f9&@A) Combinations such as these can be memorized by the user, but are not something that would be easily associated with them as would their child's name, phone number, etc.

Return to Top
#362582 - 05/23/05 07:06 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
ELC Offline
ELC
Pennsylvania
Does anyone see problems with giving the customer control over both the Login ID and the password as opposed to the customer controlling the password and the bank controlling the Login ID?

Return to Top
#362583 - 05/23/05 07:14 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
10ACBanker Offline
10ACBanker
10AC (TN)
Our online system assigns a 12-digit login ID but the customer has the option of changing it to an alias. Our system also assigns a temporary password the customer must change at first login. The 12 digit ID is always usable as is the alias.

Return to Top
#362584 - 05/23/05 07:15 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
mountainmannj Offline
100 Club
NJ
I don't see a problem as long as the system does not allow duplicate Login ID.

Return to Top
#362585 - 05/23/05 07:18 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
You have to anticipate that some customers will not align their user IDs and passwords as you would hope, just as some will write their PIN on their debit/ATM card and some will give others their user ID and passwords. It is just a part of dealing with customers. It is a good idea to inform them of the dangers and risks of making their passwords, etc. too easy to break just as you would tell them that it is something that should be memorized rather than kept on a piece of paper attached to the computer screen. There are risks to everything, it is a management decision as to what steps you are going to take to reduce those risks.

Return to Top
#362586 - 05/23/05 07:28 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

But if the system doesn't allow duplicates, and the customer attempts to create a login id that already exists, that customer will have another user's login id. I know it's a small risk, especially if you have strong password controls, but it is big enough to warrant mention.

Return to Top
#362587 - 05/23/05 09:59 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
Quote:

Quote:

But if the system doesn't allow duplicates, and the customer attempts to create a login id that already exists, that customer will have another user's login id. I know it's a small risk, especially if you have strong password controls, but it is big enough to warrant mention.

This is actually a really good point. Unless your controls lock out accounts after x number of attempts it would be easy to break into someone's accounts once you have the ID. Passwords are simple to crack if you have a login ID and enough time.

Return to Top
#362588 - 05/24/05 04:25 AM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Unless your controls lock out accounts after x number of attempts ...

Isn't this a pretty standard control, though?

Return to Top
#362589 - 05/24/05 04:56 AM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Do you think that combination like this:
"Example S7#f9&@A" are more likely to cause a customer to write it down given the number of ids and passwords customers have to deal with these days? How many passwords like that can a customer remember? Not many. I would prefer to have strong password controls. Signons like that tend to annoy customers, me included. I have 2 bank signons, my mortgage, several credit cards, insurance, a number of newspaper signons including some paid subscriptions (Wall St. Journal, for example), and several subscription genealogy signons, as well as bankers online, Protiviti, American Banker, Sheshunoff, I could go on and on. And you would want me to have a unique xvg97*2r2d2 type signon for every site? I would have to write them all down.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#362590 - 05/24/05 01:06 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Kaybee,

What you say is true. It is much more difficult to remember such passwords and IDs which often does result in the user writing it down and desiring to change it. But it is also much more difficult for a hacker to break such codes. They do not need to be quite so extreme as the one I listed, however a good password does contain a combination of such things that would not easily come to mind.

I work with persons who do pen testing for many banks and assorted other companies and it takes much longer to break into a persons account if they have such a password than it does if their password is something such as "kansayaku". (Not to say that the customer likes the password, just that it is more secure from this type of intrusion.)

Return to Top
#362591 - 05/24/05 02:02 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
ELC Offline
ELC
Pennsylvania
It is a trade off...each bank needs to find the level of security vs convenience they are comfortable with. Do any of you use 2 factor authentication at your banks? I am considering purchasing tokens that we would distribute to our customers that have an ever-changing passcode that you need to log in. I see the down side with the extra "thing" the customer has to carry with them and the added cost, but it may be worth it. Any thoughts on those?

Return to Top
#362592 - 05/24/05 02:37 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Jay-Risk Offline
Gold Star
New England
Quote:

1. Currently, we (the bank) assign the Login ID to the customer and do not allow them to change it.

2. The customer create[s] their own Login ID at the time of enrollment.

The way you mentioned the process occurring in your opening post is actually the correct process.

The user ID is accepted in the industry as a "naming convention" of the host-authority issuing party. In this discussion, your bank is the host authority. For example, if I sign up for AOL, then AOL as the hosting authority assigns to me a user ID (which doubles as a master account number) which follows on their naming conventions. They select and issue the userID; I don't select my userID. However, the password, which is uniquely selected and established by me, is something I should be able to select, change, and safeguard.

The combination of an issued userID and a user-created password, which is the single-factor log-in process that began in the mainframe legacy world, still works today. It is difficult to add additional security layers when the user (the customer) is remote and is using a non-bank device (the customer's using his/her own computer) to access the bank's enterprise. In customer transactions with higher risk where one might desire added log-in protection, a "token" can be issued to the customer for two-factor authentication (e.g., a device resembling an ATM card which displays changing algorithms, such as the "SecurID" card); or for large-dollar transfers, a biometrics device can be added for three-factor authentication.

For the basic plain-vanilla customer user, who is using their own computing device to come through the public network to the bank's enterprise, there really is no other inexpensive measure other than a userID and password. And the common practice is still that the hosting authority (the bank) issues and assigns the userID (based on a naming convention), while the user assigns and continually updates a password -- a password that the hosting authority has the prerogative to assign the number of characters and composition of.

Addendum: Ed, The issue with two-factor authentication is the cost involved, not to mention the administration of the token devices, lost devices, re-issued devices, etc. It's one thing if you have captive users (i.e., bank employees, such as loan officers, for example) who you issue token devices to, but for non-captive users (customers) the costs associated with a two-factor log-in process are prohibitive -- unless, of course, you are talking about large commercial customers or wealth management customers whose fees paid to the bank clearly offset the costs of a two-factor system.
Last edited by Jay-Risk; 05/24/05 02:46 PM.
Return to Top
#362593 - 05/24/05 07:59 PM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
osoalone Offline
100 Club
Texas
Our customers are allowed to choose their Userid's and password's. Upon enrollment, the Userid cannot be changed by the customer or the bank. The customer's password expires periodically and the customer changes it at that time. The system will lock them out after a certain # of attempts. The system does not allow for duplicate Userid's either.

Return to Top
#362594 - 05/26/05 01:35 AM Re: Internet banking Log-In IDs and passwords
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone taken a look at Bank of America's new second factor authentication?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z