Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#36371 - 10/09/02 04:17 PM Employee Review
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Can this be done..........a supervisor shows as a weakness on an employee's review....."employee cannot look supervisor in the eye"???

Just curious. I heard about such a thing happening the other day.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#36372 - 10/09/02 04:45 PM Re: Employee Review
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm curious to know what others have to say on this. I question the need for this on an evaluation. How does that affect the employee's performance of the job? Could this behavior be as a result of the employee's culture?

Should we then critique posture? Chipped nail polish for tellers who distribute cash? What about someone with a nasaly or grating voice? Or people who shuffle their shoes while walking? (a personal pet peeve)

Return to Top
#36373 - 10/10/02 04:46 PM Re: Employee Review
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
If the employee is performing, who care's if they don't look the supervisor in the eye - maybe the supervisor should find out if everything is okay first if this was a noticeable pattern prior to notifying the employee in writing - how does this make the supervisor look?

Just a note, several year's ago It was once written in my performance appraisal that one of the secretaries did not like my stance - can you believe it? (it was one of several secretaries who only liked working with men.) I was then an Assistant Manager of a branch. I guess I was pretty intimidating when I placed my hands on my hips. I must admit, I've tried not do stand that way as much, but it sure helped out my bad back.

Return to Top
#36374 - 10/10/02 06:23 PM Re: Employee Review
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I may have shared this story before, but when I worked for a large S&L in the 80's, I was evaluated on "sparkle" and "enthusiam"! It was part of the formal evaluation form. Since the uniforms they gave us to wear did NOT contain a cheerleader outfit, I asked my supervisor if I should put glitter in my hair.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#36375 - 10/10/02 06:55 PM Re: Employee Review
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Having a well written performance appraisal document/system and proper training on how to use it will eliminate most of this. When we give a tool to management to use, we also must provide them the training on how to use it properly. There will be supervisors who will never get it, and that becomes a performance deficiency in their own review.

Return to Top
#36376 - 10/11/02 02:40 AM Re: Employee Review
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Louvera - you remind me of when I was back in Junior High. My homeroom teacher gave me an Unsatisfactory in Work Habits because I did not read the daily school bulletin with enough "sparkle and enthusiasm."

The teacher would not accept my explanation that I read the bulletin the way I did so I wouldn't get beaten up by the class bully who thought I was "teacher's pet" anyways.

And so.... that little episode really soured me on "sparkle and enthusiasm!"

Return to Top
#36377 - 10/11/02 03:31 PM Re: Employee Review
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may be a cultural issue. In many countries, it is a sign of disrespect to look a superior in the eye during certain situations, or for a woman to make eye contact with a man when being chastised, judged, directed, etc.

Return to Top
#36378 - 10/11/02 06:00 PM Re: Employee Review
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
Maybe the employee did not want to look the supervisor in the eye for fear of laughing out loud at the supervisor's appearance???? (joke, joke)

If I was in Human Resources and saw this note in an employee's file, I would question the objectivity of the supervisor. And, a note would be put in the supervisor's employee file referencing the occurrence.

I knew of a supervisor that put a note in an employee's file because he did not take as many notes as other employees when they were receiving instructions from the supervisor. I told her that he might have better retainage of instructions if he just listened instead of trying to write and listen at the same time. His job performance was above average.

Return to Top
#36379 - 10/15/02 04:20 PM Re: Employee Review
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
The statement should not have been put on paper, or put on paper in a manner that would have been constructive. It could not even be true that any person "cannot" look someone in the eye (unless they are blind) - will not is closer to the true, but if it is just the supervisor and not the entire staff or, more important, customers, it's not an issue for a review forum.

Return to Top
#36380 - 10/23/02 11:49 AM Re: Employee Review
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I was put into a supervisory position a few years back and have never had any training in doing employee reviews (same situation with another supervisor here). I still dread doing them and don't feel confident. Are there training materials available for this? We have a fairly good form for the reviews, but I just don't know if I am completing the forms fairly, including too much informtaion, not giving enough information, and rating the employee fairly.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#36381 - 10/23/02 10:34 PM Re: Employee Review
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT Offline
Platinum Poster
BANNED BY BOL MANAGEMENT
Until you find a good training environment, the best way to test fairness and address "dread," is to provide the person that is being reviewed with a copy of a blank review form, asking them to complete the form as input to the process. With that input available, you will know ahead of time how close your comments and ratings are aligned with the employee's assessment.

The interesting thing is that more likely than not, employee comments and ratings are often on the low side with a few exceptions relating to the huge ego crowd. Going into the review meeting knowing what the employee thinks puts you in the drivers' seat in that you already know if the employee will consider the review a fair assessment.

When there is a case where performance is an issue, dread usually surfaces when the supervisor has not gone through the periodic counseling process with the employee that leads up to a review, if the employee makes it that far. Fair warnings in the file go a long way toward a fair assessment when performance is in question - those are the no fun reviews, but necessary for the bank and the employee.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry