BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#36472 - 10/09/02 11:01 PM CIP delay
AnonRegulator Offline
Gold Star
AnonRegulator
Everywhere, USA
We've been notified that final regulations for the customer identification program requirement of USAPA section 326 probably won't be out before Oct 25. But you knew that!

We've also been advised that until a final regulation is out, banks won't be required to comply with 326. And if you were worried about us coming to examine you for compliance with 326 on Oct 26, rest easy. We wouldn't have done that anyway...it's a Saturday! Seriously, we planned on taking a common sense approach to the implementation anyway given the timing. There is now some discussion of putting a reasonable implementation period in the final regulation. Sounds like your voices were heard.

Sorry to begin another string on this topic but I thought this shouldn't be buried at the end of one of the previous strings. AR.
Last edited by AnonRegulator; 10/10/02 02:01 PM.
Return to Top
General Discussion
#36473 - 10/09/02 11:09 PM Re: CIP delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is Dolly. For some reason I am uable to log in. Anyway, thank you Anon for the information. I am happy to hear that your agency is going to be reasonable -- I hope all will.

I think we are all hoping for a delay in the implementation. Let us know if you hear anything more!

Dolly Nugent
VP/Compliance Officer
Citizens Business Bank

Return to Top
#36474 - 10/10/02 01:31 AM Re: CIP delay
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thanks Anon! Our customer identification standards are already pretty much in line with the proposal. The big sticking point for us is the photo copying of Driver's Licenses and how/where to store them.

My personal beef is with the non-standard issuance and format of the "lists" that we are supposed to check. I am hoping that Treasury can set some standards.

I just had a great idea for a scary Halloween costume - but how would one dress as a regulatory proposal?

Return to Top
#36475 - 10/10/02 02:35 AM Re: CIP delay
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Well.....having a picture like that reminds me of the sheep in wolf's clothing (or gee...was it the other way around)??!! You wouldn't just be pullin' the wool (hide?) over our eyes, now would you, and showing up on our door on a Saturday?!

Return to Top
#36476 - 10/10/02 02:15 PM Re: CIP delay
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Happy days are here again!

Return to Top
#36477 - 10/10/02 02:31 PM Re: CIP delay
MRJ Offline
100 Club
MRJ
The delay is good news!

Return to Top
#36478 - 10/10/02 03:33 PM Re: CIP delay
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
So is everyone going to wait or are you going to temporary implement these procedures using the proposed regulations. My board meets next Tuesday and I'm still wondering whether to put the policy through or not.

Return to Top
#36479 - 10/10/02 03:34 PM Re: CIP delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you who don't subscribe to the Compliance Briefing emails, we put out an article on the CIP Program Implementation Deadline that you can link to here:

CIP Program Implementation Deadline

Return to Top
#36480 - 10/10/02 03:47 PM Re: CIP delay
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'm asking my board to approve a high-level policy that should be OK regardless of the final regulation's wording; we delayed working on final procedures, however, until we see the final opus.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#36481 - 10/10/02 04:22 PM Re: CIP delay
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Although we are going to wait for publication of the final rule before presenting our program to our boards, I think John has a good idea.

Return to Top
#36482 - 10/10/02 04:38 PM Re: CIP delay
NMB Offline
Gold Star
Southeast Michigan
My board meets next Tuesday also. I am going to give a brief summary of the requirements, the status of the (absence of a) final reg, and let them know that I will be back with a program to approve when the reg is finalized. This will at least show in the minutes if the examiners look back to check.

Return to Top
#36483 - 10/10/02 04:49 PM Re: CIP delay
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
I have already given the Board a "heads up" on coming requirements of the CIP. I don't plan to take anything in the form of a policy to them until later.

Return to Top
#36484 - 10/10/02 05:18 PM Re: CIP delay
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
You are an angel! Our Board package is complete and I'm going before the board this coming Tuesday. We've already incorporated the new CIP into the BSA Policy. So! We'll submit it advising them of the extension. Not knowing for sure what time frame we're dealing with we'll probably submit it again in January with additional revision; which is the scheduled anniversary date for BSA policy review anyway.

Thank you again Anon. Regulator

Return to Top
#36485 - 10/10/02 06:51 PM Re: CIP delay
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
I have a generic policy going to my Board next Wednesday. I will explain the situation to them and advise them that we will develop defined procedures once the final rule comes out.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#36486 - 10/10/02 06:55 PM Re: CIP delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

I received the following from the OCC today (excerpt from the OCC email to their examiners):

"In the last few weeks, we have been receiving questions from the industry concerning whether banks will be expected to have customer identification programs in place by October 25. Today, OCC staff was informally advised by Treasury staff that banks will not be required to comply with the customer identification provisions of section 326 until a final rule is issued and effective. We are also discussing including a provision in the final rule that would allow a reasonable time for implementation.

We expect to receive official confirmation from Treasury soon. In the meantime, if you receive inquiries from the banks we supervise, please advise them that the section 326 rule is not final or effective, they are not required to comply by October 25, and the OCC will not be examining for
section 326 compliance on that date."

Return to Top
#36487 - 10/10/02 07:09 PM Re: CIP delay
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I am temporarily putting my in place. And Anon. Thanks for the good news.

Return to Top
#36488 - 10/10/02 07:41 PM Re: CIP delay
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I have just presented a policy to the Board for approval at the meeting next week. But we will hold off with implementation of scanning the IDs until we get the final rules. If the rules change, it will only mean minor editing to the policy.

Oh, I feel sooooo much better!

Return to Top
#36489 - 10/10/02 08:21 PM Re: CIP delay
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
We had our's ready to go to next Tuesday's board meeting, now I've decided to pull it and wait for more details. I wouldn't want to have our policy approved, and not be ready to abide by our policy with the new ID issues - not to mention how this would affect the lending side of the bank. I am however going to update the board on the recent developments and what we've done to date in preparation of the new requirements.

Return to Top
#36490 - 10/10/02 08:33 PM Re: CIP delay
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
That is the best news I've heard all week!!!!!

Last edited by Amy L. Muhleisen; 10/10/02 08:34 PM.
Return to Top
#36491 - 10/10/02 11:39 PM Re: CIP delay
JenniferK Offline
New Poster
JenniferK
Coordination with all departments involved had pretty much gotten me to the point of breakdown. I think this is the best news I have heard all year. I know it is just a postponement, but knowing implementation will not be required until a "reasonable" period after the final regs are published is a huge relief.

Compliance professionals rejoice!

Return to Top
#36492 - 10/10/02 11:52 PM Re: CIP delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not often that you hear a banker call a regulator an angel.

Return to Top
#36493 - 10/11/02 12:49 PM Re: CIP delay
AnonRegulator Offline
Gold Star
AnonRegulator
Everywhere, USA
Especially THIS regulator!

Return to Top
#36494 - 10/11/02 01:26 PM Re: CIP delay
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bonnie,

I just attended a BSA/Anti-Money Laudering seminar and we discussed CIP. If you read the "regulation" it does not say that you must copy any documentation that you use to identify the customer. It says that you must record the documentation used ... so you could record on the signature card that you used a state drivers license #1234456, with an expiration date of 12/10/04. Question is how practical will it be to record the information instead of copying it. Stay tuned for the next installment of "As The CIP Changes"

Return to Top
#36495 - 10/11/02 01:43 PM Re: CIP delay
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The confusion comes from the proposal, FedReg page 48294 where it states, "Where a bank relies upon a document to verify identity, the bank must maintain a copy of the document that the bank relied on that clearly evidences the type of document and any identifying information it may contain."
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36496 - 10/11/02 02:40 PM Re: CIP delay
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
I have to go with Andy here. IF you rely on a document for verification the proposed rule requires that you keep a copy. If you use nondocumentary verification then you may not have any documents to copy, but you would still have to "record the methods and result of any additional measures undertaken to verify the identity of the customer" as well as "the resolution of any discrepancy in the identifying information obtained."

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2