Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#36599 - 10/10/02 06:34 PM TIL in 1978
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Can anyone tell me, did the TIL disclosures that would have been given on a purchase mortgage in 1978 look different from the TIL disclosures that would be given today? And if possible, a source where I could see what they would have looked like in 1978?

We have a loan customer who is arguing that his TIL disclosure from 1978 does not contain all required elements.

Thanks in advance........

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#36600 - 10/10/02 07:37 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'd say your best bets are Richard Insley, Alan Dombrow or someone is a rally big pack-rat.

What does the customer say was wrong?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36601 - 10/10/02 07:45 PM Re: TIL in 1978
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'd ask the customer to provide you with a photocopy of his disclosure so you can check it out. Until you see it and verify what he claims, it's all BS.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#36602 - 10/10/02 08:10 PM Re: TIL in 1978
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Apparently the situation is that the customer, who has been happily paying their mortgage every month, thought that they were going to be paying it off in early 2003. So they called to find out what the final total payment would be. And were told that no, they owed quite a bit more than they thought. Part of the problem is that the loan was not set up to amortize properly, which is an issue, but the customer is now also claiming that the TIL they have was missing key data (someone has apparently seen it and it doesn't have the FC along with some other data.) I just really hope the transaction is not going to suddenly become rescindable.

Return to Top
#36603 - 10/10/02 09:02 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Andy, John, Randy or anyone else, help me out here, but I don't think she has to worry about rescission.

1. Material disclosure error gives 3 years to rescind. The 3 years is definitely up.

2. Statute of Limitation is 1 year. That is definitely up also.

Return to Top
#36604 - 10/11/02 12:30 PM Re: TIL in 1978
SteveG Offline
But what if customer refuses to pay balance, you start a foreclosure ...? My approach to an actually misamortized loan (for ex. in the disclosures you said there would be 360 payments of X without a balloon and the payment amount and the note payment are they same and do not actually reduce the loan to 0), especially if there is a potential Reg. Z issue, is to try to reach a global settlement with the borrower concerning payment of the balance that includes Reg Z issues (rescission, defenses, recoupment etc.)and any claims for attorney's fees.

Return to Top
#36605 - 10/11/02 12:33 PM Re: TIL in 1978
SteveG Offline
Oops, just noticed it was a purchase money mortgage ... that eliminates the rescission recoupment defense issues ... so I would still negotiate a settlement on the balance repayment but you are in a pretty strong position.

Return to Top
#36606 - 10/11/02 01:10 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
If you are a portfolio lender, I would suggest you check your mortgage files for loans closed in 1978. If that information is not available to you, send me your fax number, and I'll be happy to fax you a copy of a TIL we gave on a purchase loan in 1978 (with nonpublic personal information deleted, of course).

Return to Top
#36607 - 10/11/02 01:34 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Under old Reg Z, you did not have to disclose the Total of Payments or the Finance Charge on a purchase money first lien transaction.

Return to Top
#36608 - 10/11/02 02:14 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I knew (historian) Richard would have an answer. The next question is what was the break point for new vs. old Reg. Z? I trust from your comments, this was the "old" version.

While "Z" undergoes revisions annually, I do recall you talking about a major revision in the past. Was this a Fed Box revision?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36609 - 10/11/02 02:14 PM Re: TIL in 1978
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Thank you all very much! Sahoog, PM'ed you my fax number. I truly appreciate the assistance.

Return to Top
#36610 - 10/11/02 02:25 PM Re: TIL in 1978
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the only problem here is that the loan was not properly amortized and still has a balance, what are the possible solutions? We found a couple of those. The loans were modified but the payments weren't changed to reflect the new terms.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z