Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#366320 - 06/01/05 04:10 PM CPA's and online access
SusyG Offline
100 Club
A local CPA who is a very good customer of ours has asked to have several of his clients accounts available in online banking under 1 User ID. He is on the signature card for each of the accounts requested and the business owners have signed the enrollment forms. I've never had this request before, so I need a devil's advocate here. Any problems with this setup?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#366321 - 06/01/05 05:45 PM Re: CPA's and online access
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If he is an account owner there isn't a problem. We used to offer statements on CD and a second could go to their accountant. But to my knowledge we never had them on the customers account. I wouldn't like that practice just from the standpoint of giving then access to the funds. That is an account owner perspective.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#366322 - 06/01/05 06:21 PM Re: CPA's and online access
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I would guess that the CPA is listed as an authorized signer.

Return to Top
#366323 - 06/01/05 06:32 PM Re: CPA's and online access
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
If you have a means of blocking any transactional capabilities and providing 'view only' access, I don't see a problem with this arrangement. If the accountant would be able to affect tansactions, however, I would insist that he create a separate login for each client, and not comingle unrelated accounts.

Return to Top
#366324 - 06/01/05 07:35 PM Re: CPA's and online access
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Whether as an authorized signer or owner, they have transaction capabilities. I should have been more specific. The point is the same though. I hadn't seen this, but I don't know what would prohibit it unless it is a CPA ethics thing.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#366325 - 06/01/05 08:14 PM Re: CPA's and online access
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I don't know what would prohibit it unless it is a CPA ethics thing.

Well, they obviously wouldn't be independent for purposes of rendering an opinion on the financial statements. But I think it is somewhat common for CPAs to provide payroll services or similar things.

Return to Top
#366326 - 06/02/05 01:24 AM Re: CPA's and online access
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would think that a unique online user ID would be prudent for each unique CIF number if it is possible that each of those customers will also be using the same id issued to the CPA to access their accounts. It would then be possible for the accountant's CUSTOMER A to review the transaction history of the accountant's CUSTOMER B's account.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z