Thread Options
#36651 - 10/10/02 08:37 PM ATM Lighting
BOT1 Offline
New Poster
Florida
Does anyone know of any specific requirements as to how often atm lighting must be checked?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#36652 - 10/10/02 10:22 PM Re: ATM Lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the lights out change the bulb

Return to Top
#36653 - 10/11/02 02:06 PM Re: ATM Lighting
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You could use the state forums and ask specifically there, as that is the control point. Texas, as an example, has certain requirements stated for conditions. And while it is commonly evaluated annually, I don't know that it is required to be. Not doing so exposes you to additional risks, however.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36654 - 10/11/02 02:26 PM Re: ATM Lighting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
New York state has a pretty strict ATM security law. You might ask in their forum here about any requirement to check lighting periodically.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#36655 - 10/11/02 06:15 PM Re: ATM Lighting
GPrejean Offline
GPrejean
Lake Charles, LA
In LA, both ATM and Night Depository lighting is regulated by the state. We check our yearly and make any needed repairs or improvements. We also check the lighting after an event at an ATM or Night Depository, at about the same time as the event. This gives us a better picture of what may have occurred and we also don't want to be suprised in court by an attorneys claim of an unsafe environment.

Return to Top
#36656 - 10/11/02 08:53 PM Re: ATM Lighting
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
If I remember correctly CA also has some laws regarding ATM lighting - they may even vary by city???

Return to Top
#36657 - 10/15/02 07:34 PM Re: ATM Lighting
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
I have the New York requirements if you are interested.

Return to Top
#36658 - 10/16/02 08:55 PM Re: ATM Lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

In reviewing the NY requirements does it specify how often the ATM lighting must be checked. Thank you.

Return to Top
#36659 - 10/17/02 03:14 PM Re: ATM Lighting
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
It is the bank's responsibility to ensure all ATM's are in compliance. Each Bank is requried to send a letter to the State Banking Department an annual basis to state that all ATM's have been checked and are in compliance. The snag is that the Banking Department makes periodic checks. They will send you a letter if the lighting is off and give you so many days to fix it.

Return to Top
#36660 - 10/17/02 04:15 PM Re: ATM Lighting
Anonymous
Unregistered

New Jersey's statute is silent on how frequently the review must be done. Here is the text of the statute that discusses the evaluation.

17:16K-8. Evaluation of automated teller machines for safety
2. a. Operators of all automated teller machines in operation after the effective date of this act shall evaluate the safety of automated teller machines. This evaluation shall include consideration of:

(1) The extent to which the lighting for the automated teller machine or automated teller machine facility complies with the standards required by section 4 of this act.

(2) The presence of landscaping, vegetation, or structures in the area of an automated teller machine or automated teller machine facility, the access area, or a defined parking area which might obstruct views so as to adversely affect the safety of users.

b. It is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting this section to impose a duty to close, relocate or modify automated teller machines or automated teller machine facilities upon the occurrence of any particular events or circumstances, but rather to establish a standard of good faith for the evaluation thereof.

L.1995,c.117,s.2.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z