Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#368164 - 06/03/05 09:23 PM FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) folks issued interim final rules imposing AML program requirements on dealers in precious metals, jewels and stones.

A copy of the pre-publication rule (63 pages), a press release, and a Q&A are all posted in the "What's New" section at www.fincen.gov.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#368165 - 06/03/05 11:57 PM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Chicgolf Offline
100 Club
Westside
Oh boy, I can't wait to read up on this one! Hopefully there will be some "guidance" issued on the final rule!

Return to Top
#368166 - 06/04/05 10:19 AM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Like MSBs, those covered by this regulation fit the definition of "financial institution" under BSA. Like MSBs, they can be used to launder money. So, it has long been expected that banks would monitor their activity and impose enhanced due diligence requirements.

The interim final rule applies to "dealers" in "covered goods." "Covered goods" include jewels, precious metals, and precious stones, and finished goods (including but not limited to, jewelry, numismatic items, and antiques) that derive 50 percent or more of their value from jewels, precious metals, or precious stones contained in or attached to such finished goods.

A "dealer" is a person who has purchased at least $50,000, and sold at least $50,000, worth of covered goods during the preceding year. (Pawnbrokers are specifically excluded.) In effect, as financial institutions, these businesses must establish AML programs that incorporate the naming of an individual responsible for compliance, training, independent testing, and internal controls.

Obviously, banks will need to identify these customers. However, since these businesses have traditionally been described as "high risk," banks should already know which customers are involved in transactions with covered goods. Now it's a matter of determining which ones meet the definition of a "dealer." Unlike MSBs, banks will probably not be able to surmise which of their customers are covered by the regulation solely from a review of bank records.

I don't find anything that provides guidance to banks on how to deal with these customers. However, I have not read it thoroughly because the document is nearly illegible, both in print and on the screen.

FinCEN has since linked to a different document; it's legible now.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 06/19/05 04:44 PM.
Return to Top
#368167 - 06/04/05 11:28 AM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I will polish my "federal agent" badge.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#368168 - 06/04/05 06:35 PM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I suspect you will be seeing a lot more account closures.

Return to Top
#368169 - 06/06/05 03:29 PM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Anonymous
Unregistered

if we are expected to police these customers like MSBs then I hope they provide guidance of how to do that.

we are aware of our retail stores but dealers that meet the threshold is not as easy. how do we even ID those that qualify????

Return to Top
#368170 - 06/08/05 06:10 PM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, etc.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John

I am unable to connect to your link posted for the Regs for Dealers in Jewels. Can you provide some assistance?

Thanks

Return to Top
#368171 - 06/08/05 06:59 PM Re: FinCEN Inks AML Regs for Dealers in Jewels, et
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
1. Click on http://www.fincen.gov

2. Click on "What's New" at top of left Navigation Bar on the FinCEN home page

3. Look down the list. You'll see links to the documents. They are in PDF format so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader (freeware) installed to read them.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z