Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#36911 - 10/11/02 08:53 PM Job Description for Internal Auditor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would anyone mine sharing a copy of their job description with me. Bank size is roughly over 250MM and a staff of two auditors.
I thought this would post under my username but it didn't for some reason....email address is: rdillard@ctb-bank.com.
Appreciate it!!!

Return to Top
Audit
#36912 - 10/14/02 02:49 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Sylacauga, Al, United States
Just curious. Are you both responsible for the compliance program too? If so, how are you splitting out your work load? I am really having a difficult time keeping up lately for both programs. We are the same asset size and the department consists of myself and another individual. I don't think it would be quite so difficult but we have had many weaknesses in internal controls, policies,compliance issues, etc. to identify and attempt to assist in correcting. Also we have had quite a bit of turn over in management so we are identifying the same items. Just a little behind the times.

Requests and opinions are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#36913 - 10/15/02 02:06 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, there's a Compliance Officer and then our Audit dept.

Return to Top
#36914 - 10/15/02 04:34 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
Same here. I have had to write and implement the Compliance audit and Internal Audit programs. Along with this I have had to rescue some situations. (No details please) And complete internal audits consisting of, credit review, branches, interest rate risk, IT, etc. along with compliance audits. I feel overwhelmed at times, mostly because many of the financial areas of banking I am unaware of were to start. I have just purchased an auditing checklist that should assist me in knowing were to start. Scary thing is, this is an important area of banking today and yet many of use are thrown into the fire with no resources and with the idea sink or swim. If we sink so does the bank.

Return to Top
#36915 - 10/15/02 07:30 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
At what asset size did you go to two auditors? We are at about 270MM and we have 11 branches and I am a one man show. It's not always easy. I will e-mail you my job description. Hope it helps!

Return to Top
#36916 - 10/23/02 02:57 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Currently our bank is at approx 290MM with 7, soon to be 8, branches and I am the Internal Auditor/Compliance Officer and I have an audit asst and a compliance asst. We are now splitting off the compliance department and the compliance asst will become the compliance officer. It is difficult to maintain independence in auditing when you are the one responsible for compliance as well. Our regulators have now said that we are large enough that the departments should be split so that audit can concentrate on the auditing function. They have not had a problem with it when we were smaller.

Return to Top
#36917 - 10/24/02 04:12 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just curious... I am the Compliance Officer for a bank of about the same size. We never had a compliance officer until the OCC made the recommendation in June that we are large enough to require a f/t officer... so this is new to the bank. Anyway... there is a lot of confusion with the auditor as to what is compliance audit and what is audit audit. Any thoughts... ?

Return to Top
#36918 - 10/24/02 04:22 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Where I am located (a holding company of approximate $480 Million) I perform compliance audits (Reg B; Reg Z, etc.) and our internal audit performs the remainder of the audits. I report to him and we, in turn, report to the Audit committee. BTW - I also train, am CRA officer and other various duties as assigned.

Return to Top
#36919 - 10/24/02 04:38 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
I look at things this way.

You have compliance monitoring which is like an audit but not completed by the auditor. The auditor or compliance officer can review the monitoring but must also periodically do an audit to establish the sufficiency of the program for the regulation. Example would be BSA. We have various people that monitor various areas for BSA compliance. But at least annually I should do an audit of the total program (covering the regulation's BSA requirements) to see if it is satisfactory.

That is the compliance side for audit. Then you have the S&S side for audit which covers branch audits, internal controls, operations, etc.

I don't know if my view is correct, but that is how I am operating for both programs. I always look for feedback so I can improve. Also each time I or we get a better grip on things, it makes my job less overwhelming. I will send you a copy of my job description.

Opinions are mine not my employer.

Return to Top
#36920 - 10/24/02 04:49 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
My bank has Compliance doing regulatory compliance, the alphabet soup regulations. Internal audit spends its time on internal things like cash counts, GL account review, etc. Sometimes lines will cross and you need a definition of who is doing what on a certain issue like Security, perhaps IT and privacy/safeguarding customer info, etc.

Often compliance reports under Audit. In any case the two need to talk and coordinate some activities. It may be that Compliance doesn't actually audit compliance, but trains, writes policy and procedures and just stays up on the regulations and day to day application of them.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36921 - 10/24/02 06:22 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Andy:

Which do you do? Compliance or Audit?

It is difficult when you do both, even when you have two people in the dept. Audit must be independent, cover particular auditing procedures, and attempt to stick to a schedule which covers both S&S & compliance audits. But as compliance you are expected to write policies, procedures, keep us up to date on revisions, training, etc.

I use to think doing both had its advantages but I don't think I believe so anymore. I am not so sure you end up with "great" programs covering both. But I sure learn alot!!

Thanks

Opinions and requests are mine not my employer

Return to Top
#36922 - 10/24/02 06:24 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Maria Offline
Platinum Poster
Tina:

What kind of auditing checklist did you purchase & where? What does it cover?

You can e-mail me directly if you would like.

Thanks
Maria

Return to Top
#36923 - 10/24/02 06:47 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I am the compliance officer. I write policies, procedures, do training and audits that involve regulatory compliance. I do CRA but only oversee BSA in general terms. We have a specific BSA officer. She and the Security officer file SARs, but I chair the committee that reviews them.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#36924 - 10/24/02 07:23 PM Re: Job Description for Internal Auditor
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I purchased a program through RIA. I is Web based and seems to have all I need. You can find it at www.riahome.com. The program is called Checkpoint. Look under Tax Service. You can use it on a 30 day trial basis to see if it is what you want. I purchased the program for Internal Auditng puproses not for regulatory audits. Let me know what you think.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z