Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#36944 - 10/12/02 04:48 AM They blocked my card, I was embarrased!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Four days ago I went to my bank because I noticed some fraud on my card. The clerk filled a form. I used my card until today, at 10 pm I went to put gas cause I had none, and the transaction was refused. I drove to the nearest ATM of my bank thinking there was a communications error. Nothing. No money dispensed, although I'd checked formerly my balance. I called VISA but they said I had to call my bank, which I did.
The rep told me my card had been cancelled (four days after!) due to the fraud report. He told me he was unable to reverse it, so my only choice was begging for someone to help me with some money.
Lets say, this time I couldn't go to my friend's house, but what if the same happens when me or my wife is hurt and I really need to withdraw money? Or any other emergency?
Is there something I can do against the bank which never told me my card was going to be cancelled?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#36945 - 10/12/02 08:13 PM Re: They blocked my card, I was embarrased!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If there is fraud activity on your card, the only way the bank can stop the fraud activity is to cancel your card. It is surprising that your bank did not tell you that. Common procedure is to tell the customer that the card is being cancelled and a replacement card will be sent.

However, from a common sense point of view, if you KNOW that someone is fraudulently using a particular account, you should cease using that account until it can be transferred to a new one. Otherwise, it can become very complicated to figure out what activity is fraudulent vs. what activity is yours.

Return to Top
#36946 - 10/12/02 10:02 PM Re: They blocked my card, I was embarrased!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It is a double edged sword. If the card wasn't canceled funds would continue to be withdrawn. Your funds, but reimbursed to you by the bank, so ultimately it is their money.

They should have discussed procedures with you, as Bonnie noted, so that you'd expect a new card sent in regular mail or overnight. It is also surprising that it took them that long to cancel the card. Sloppy work on their part as they only stood to increase their loss.

Verify with them when a replacement card is being sent, what is needed to activate the card and where it is being sent to.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett