Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#370597 - 06/07/05 10:52 PM Certificate of what???
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Ok, I thought I had heard it all, but we received a 'Certificate of Heirship' - that is supposedly attesting to the fact that an individual deceased with very little assets, so the court won't do probate, and instead have a notary attest to the relationship of the heir.
Sounds extremely henky to me, but on the off-chance I've missed something, thought I would double check - (or do you think it might be specific to Texas?)

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#370598 - 06/07/05 10:58 PM Re: Certificate of what???
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
This would be specific to either Texas or another state (if your depositor died in another state). A number of states have statutes enabling heirs/beneficiaries to claim account funds based on an affidavit if the assets (or account funds) are under a certain amount. The affidavit requirements (for both content and filing, as well as any waiting period) vary from state to state, so be careful. (I'd say check with counsel, but I've been saying that a lot lately . . . still a good move though )

Return to Top
#370599 - 06/07/05 11:33 PM Re: Certificate of what???
Anonymous
Unregistered

TexTrainer, an affidavit of heirship is a valid means of disposing of funds in Texas when there isn't a survivor or beneficiary on small accounts (we usually accept them if the account balance is under $5000). I agree that you should consult counsel if you aren't familiar with them, and always get a hold harmless agreement from the heirs before you disburse. Do be careful though because once the money is gone, chances of getting back are pretty slim.

Return to Top
#370600 - 06/08/05 11:25 PM Re: Certificate of what???
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Thanks, y'all

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett