Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#370608 - 06/08/05 03:36 AM Am I that old?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Ok, today I went on a trip with my daughter's girl scout troop to Splash Lagoon, an indoor water park. As we were waiting in line this teenage girl/lifeguard looks at me and says "Going down these water slides is enough to make you feel young again. You'll really sleep good tonight!" I am thinking to myself how the heck old do I look? 70?

I have to go now and rub some Bengay on my Knee and shoulder and sit in my rocking chair for a while!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#370609 - 06/08/05 05:23 AM Re: Am I that old?
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Yeah - the first time a store clerk called me "ma'am" instead of "miss", that was a rude awakening.

That reminds me. I need to make an appointment for my hair color. The gray is showing up again.

Return to Top
#370610 - 06/08/05 11:09 AM Re: Am I that old?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My 81 year old Dad and I went out for brunch recently. When the bill came, I saw they charged us for two senior brunches! Dad thought that was pretty funny.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#370611 - 06/08/05 12:14 PM Re: Am I that old?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I'll never forget one day in my little home town just a few years ago, the sidewalk was very icy (and of course I had to be wearing heels); and I slipped and fell on my butt. A cop, probably about 21 years old, came running over and asked: "Are you OK, ma'am?" I nearly died...

Return to Top
#370612 - 06/08/05 12:20 PM Re: Am I that old?
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Having worked the box office for numerous local charitable events I learned in a hurry never to try and guess anyone's age. My first attempt ending with 3 dollars being thrown back at me with the words: I AM NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN! I never speculate anymore! You pay adult unless you say different.

Return to Top
#370613 - 06/08/05 12:34 PM Re: Am I that old?
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
I joined a gym a few months ago. The girl i was talking to let me know that they are starting a special program for people over 50.........I'm not 40 yet!!

I guess fat, balding and grey = over 50.

Return to Top
#370614 - 06/08/05 12:49 PM Re: Am I that old?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't read too much into it. One day at the gym, I was talking to a recent high school graduate and giving him a little advice on going off to college. At the end of our conversation, he said, "Thank you Mr. _______." I was all of 26 years old at the time. About a year after that conversation I was asked for my ID when I went to a high school soccer game. I did look young at 26. So, don't take it personally.

DQ, I do think I remember reading about you in Genesis, so you ARE old!

Return to Top
#370615 - 06/08/05 12:50 PM Re: Am I that old?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
better than that, we went out for pizza this weekend with several college kids, including my son. I ordered an adult beverage, and was carded. I felt really good as the youngsters were razzing me, until the waitress said "I always ask the old people for their ID, it makes them feel good and gets me a bigger tip." I guess she thought I was hard of hearing as well...

Return to Top
#370616 - 06/08/05 01:01 PM Re: Am I that old?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

DQ, I do think I remember reading about you in Genesis, so you ARE old!

Hey now, take it easy on the old gal...

Return to Top
#370617 - 06/08/05 01:02 PM Re: Am I that old?
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
LOL Happy-
I cringe at being called ma'am.

Return to Top
#370618 - 06/08/05 01:09 PM Re: Am I that old?
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
A number of years ago I went to lunch with a co-worker that had quit work to have her son and the waitress commented on how nice it must be to have lunch with my grandson!!! I was in my late 30's and had always been told I looked young for my age Needless to say, my friend thought it was soooo very funny

Return to Top
#370619 - 06/08/05 01:24 PM Re: Am I that old?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We make it a point to instruct our new accounts people to be tactful in introducing some of the accounts we have for folks in the autumn of their lives.

Return to Top
#370620 - 06/08/05 02:18 PM Re: Am I that old?
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Quote:

Ok, today I went on a trip with my daughter's girl scout troop to Splash Lagoon, an indoor water park. As we were waiting in line this teenage girl/lifeguard looks at me and says "Going down these water slides is enough to make you feel young again. You'll really sleep good tonight!" I am thinking to myself how the heck old do I look? 70?

I have to go now and rub some Bengay on my Knee and shoulder and sit in my rocking chair for a while!

If I were you, I'd have smacked her with my cane!

Return to Top
#370621 - 06/08/05 02:24 PM Re: Am I that old?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Sad thing is that I always looked younger than I was. In fact when I was in my early-mid 20's I grew a beard to look more my age. Now I still have the beard but you have to look closely to see any grey in my hair. I am going to be 38 on Saturday so I guess to young clerks and such I AM in the autumn of my life!

Return to Top
#370622 - 06/08/05 02:39 PM Re: Am I that old?
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
A girl I work with (early 20s) found out I was turning 40 earlier this year and said to me, "I didn't think you were THAT old!".

Return to Top
#370623 - 06/08/05 02:49 PM Re: Am I that old?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
SO is turning 29 today, she is freaking out.

I'll be turning 39 in September, then it's my turn, lol.

Return to Top
#370624 - 06/08/05 04:01 PM Re: Am I that old?
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
On my 30th bday, I went to the convenience store to buy some beer and they carded me. I was so exicted that I grabbed my beer and walked out without paying. The clerk had to chase me down. I felt like a total loser.

Our Wal-Mart has started a new thing where if you get beer, they ask "Are you under 35?" If you are, they card you. I'm 34 so they always ask me which is depressing that they don't err on the low side. I tell every clerk, "You know it would put me in a lot better mood if you would phrase it, 'You are under 35, aren't you?'"

I knew I was officially old when some scuzzy guy in a car drove by me and yelled "Hey Momma!" I yelled back, "What happened to babe?!?"

Return to Top
#370625 - 06/08/05 04:11 PM Re: Am I that old?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was in line to buy some beer at a supermarket behind a young guy that was also buying beer. The cashier carded him. When it was my turn, she just started to ring it up. I said, jokingly, "hey, aren't you going to card me?" She glanced at me and said, "no, it's not necessary."

Return to Top
#370626 - 06/08/05 04:12 PM Re: Am I that old?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I knew I was officially old when some scuzzy guy in a car drove by me and yelled "Hey Momma!" I yelled back, "What happened to babe?!?"

LOL-

Return to Top
#370627 - 06/08/05 04:40 PM Re: Am I that old?
bluebanker Offline
Diamond Poster
bluebanker
Bear Country
Is it really that bad to call someone ma'am? I've called women ma'am for years, regardless of age. Even through the drive-through at McDonald's...I use it as a term of respect, not tied to age.

It's funny because I was having lunch at a restaraunt and the waiter called me sir. The girl I was with, the same age as me, thought it was hilarious that he called me sir cause I had to have been like 3 years older than him. I didn't think anything of it, but she thought it was funny. Are people now taking offense to terms of respect?

Return to Top
#370628 - 06/08/05 04:41 PM Re: Am I that old?
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I still have to give my niece a hard time about the night we went bar hopping.The first one we stopped at, the bouncer at the door carded me but let her go through without being carded. Although she is only 3 yrs younger than me, it made me feel pretty good!

Return to Top
#370629 - 06/08/05 04:47 PM Re: Am I that old?
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
For women, it is a shock the first time you are called "Ma'am" versus having been called "Miss" for many years. It is a sad day.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#370630 - 06/08/05 05:00 PM Re: Am I that old?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
My 3 year old looked at a waitress and had said 'excuse me' 3 times in his quiet little voice. When she didn't answer he yells 'HAY LADY' - That got her attention. I thought she was going to die, about 25 years old.

Return to Top
#370631 - 06/08/05 05:10 PM Re: Am I that old?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
When you ask the dentist why your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold, and he tells you your gums are receding, then you feel old. "Long in the tooth" he called it....

Return to Top
#370632 - 06/08/05 06:01 PM Re: Am I that old?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

I knew I was officially old when some scuzzy guy in a car drove by me and yelled "Hey Momma!"

Maybe it was Oedipus! (see, there is an explanation for everything)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3