Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#370949 - 06/08/05 06:21 PM conflicting flood certs
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
I see some similar posts on this topic but not this one exactly. At a flood seminar yesterday, the presenter stated that if we receive differing flood determinations from different vendors, we should 1) go back to the vendor and have them double-check and 2) ask FEMA to check the maps for us. She made #2 sound like a breeze. We've had a situation like this recently and had already done #1, but wanted to take her advice and contact FEMA. They stated that they won't look at it unless we get an elevation survey and file a LOMA. My thinking was that we don't want it ammended, we just want to know what they say (since our differing vendors have both double-checked and both stick with their original determination). Any thoughts on this?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#370950 - 06/08/05 06:44 PM Re: conflicting flood certs
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
FEMA is supposed to offer a Letter of Determination Review, which does not consider elevation certificates, just whether the map was read correctly.

Here's some information from FEMA's website.

Return to Top
#370951 - 06/08/05 07:08 PM Re: conflicting flood certs
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
That information really helped. Thanks very much Great Blue.

Return to Top
#370952 - 06/09/05 01:19 PM Re: conflicting flood certs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since FEMA is kind of annoying to deal with I'd only go to them if I wasn't satisfied about the vendors reviewing thier previous work. If they both came to the same answer with additional info you provided - let it rest.

Yes, FEMA does have the option to do a Determination Review. If you want instructions for this I'd suggest searching their website or calling the Map Service Center at 877-336-2627.

Also, please don't only dispute the IN determinaiton. While X's are always desired they are not always right.

Return to Top
#370953 - 06/10/05 12:55 PM Re: conflicting flood certs
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
This does highlight that not all flood vendors are alike. We recently received a determination that said the property was out of the flood zone. However, the BORROWER was very emphatic that it was IN. We tried a different vendor and it came back as in. That is not the first time we have had a problem with the first vendor… which we no longer use.

I suppose you can use FEMA’s Letter of Determination Review… if it is timely. Not to many government agencies are very timely.

Return to Top
#370954 - 06/10/05 03:21 PM Re: conflicting flood certs
flood_guy Offline
flood_guy
Does this property border a flood zone?

Is there a flood zone on the property with the possibility that the structure is in a flood zone?

I'll also guess that the borrower did not have a survey. Generally a survey will clear up any difference of opions. The conflicting determinations is most likely do to the(or lack thereof) of supporting documents.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z