Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#371161 - 06/09/05 12:24 PM Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

A question was posed by our field. Some are under the impression that if a loan is not locked and a GFE has been provided by the broker that a new GFE is required once the loan is locked so a more accurate YSP is listed. I always thought the GFE was an estimate and re-disclosure is not required. What if the GFE shows YSP as 0-3% range and it ends up being 5%, do you police the cost according to the GFE? Can someone direct me to the Reg or OSC relating to this topic?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#371162 - 06/09/05 12:38 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
RESPA actually says very little about the GFE. And, it also does not say anything about reissuing the GFE if the fees change. This would be up to your company policy and procedure. IMHO it is prudent to issue revised figures if the applicant's closing costs vary significantly from what the initial GFE indicated just so the applicant is not surprised at closing. They should not go to closing angry because the originator did not give them sufficient notice that their fees were higher than anticipated.

Also, why is there such a huge difference in the YSP? Is the broker making that much more on the loan?

Return to Top
#371163 - 06/09/05 12:40 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

I usually don't list the YSP on the Good Faith, we always list it on the HUD-1. Is this wrong?

Return to Top
#371164 - 06/09/05 12:48 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
sansan Offline
100 Club
The hat rack
According to Part 3500, Appendix B, Illustrations of requirements of RESPA, you must disclose yield spread on the GFE (see #13 below):

Facts. A is a mortgage broker who provides origination services to submit a loan to a Lender for approval. The mortgage broker charges the borrower a uniform fee for the total origination services, as well as a direct up-front charge for reimbursement of credit reporting, appraisal services or similar charges.

Comments: The mortgage broker's fee must be itemized in the Good Faith Estimate and on the HUD-1 Settlement Statement. Other charges which are paid for by the borrower and paid in advance are listed as POC on the HUD-1 Settlement Statement, and reflect the actual provider charge for such services. Also, any other fee or payment received by the mortgage broker from either the lender or the borrower arising from the initial funding transaction, including a servicing release premium or yield spread premium, is to be noted on the Good Faith Estimate and listed in the 800 series of the HUD-1 Settlement Statement.

Return to Top
#371165 - 06/09/05 01:07 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

We close the loan under our name and then we sell to the investor. Sometimes we know when preparing the GF what the YSP is, but sometimes we don't. What do you suggest?

Return to Top
#371166 - 06/09/05 01:16 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I would use a spread. Since it's not a direct cost to the borrower at any rate...it shouldn't affect the bottom line irregardless of what the final amount ends up being.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#371167 - 06/09/05 01:33 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that I think about it. I think we are not required to disclose at all in the GF or the HUD the YSP if we close in our name and then sell the loan. Even though that is the intention all along.

Return to Top
#371168 - 06/09/05 01:43 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Now that I think about it. I think we are not required to disclose at all in the GF or the HUD the YSP if we close in our name and then sell the loan. Even though that is the intention all along.

That's correct, as long as the investor isn't table funding the loan.

Return to Top
#371169 - 06/09/05 06:19 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our external auditor indicates we cannot use the acronym "YSP." We must always spell it out. Most GFE's I see show the acronym. Anyone else encountering this?

Return to Top
#371170 - 06/09/05 06:32 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
You really should spell it out.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#371171 - 06/09/05 08:05 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Your auditor is correct. Refer to FIL 21-99, dated 3/12/099. HUD has issued a policy statement clarifying YSP's. Here's a paraphrase from a newsletter we wrote pertaining to this topic:

HUD reiterated that mortgage brokers are required to disclose estimated direct and indirect fees on the Good Faith Estimate (GFE) not later than three days after application, with exact fees provided on the HUD-1 or HUD-1A at closing. However, the disclosure must be understandable to the consumer. As an example, HUD stated that “YSP to DBF, POC” would not be acceptable, but “mortgage broker fee from lender to XYZ Corporation (P.O.C)” would be appropriate. The policy statement further encourages mortgage brokers to inform customers of their fees and services as early as possible in the process and before the Good Faith Estimate, although there is no legal requirement that they do so.

Return to Top
#371172 - 06/13/05 05:12 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
Quote:

A question was posed by our field. Some are under the impression that if a loan is not locked and a GFE has been provided by the broker that a new GFE is required once the loan is locked so a more accurate YSP is listed.

I have a related question... I have a broker who believes that since the rate is not locked when the GFE is provided, the YSP need not be included in the disclosure.

His argument is that at that point in the application process, he doesn't know if there will be a YSP let alone what the amount will be. I believe we should disclose a range (0-x%), but he does not believe the law (RESPA) requires it since he does not know when the GFE is provided whether there will even be a YSP. He also stated the competiton doesn't disclose these on the GFE (putting him at a disadvantage) and the lender he sells the loans to apparently doesn't have a problem with his GFEs.

He did say that once the rate is locked, if the fees have changed from the original GFE, he will send an adjusted disclosure. He is very open about communicating fees to the borrower throughout the application process so there are no surprises at closing. He also has the borrowers sign an additional mortgage broker disclosure at application which describes the compensation process (that it comes either from borrower directly, or from the lender indirectly), but the amount of compensation is not included in this disclosure. The YSP is disclosed on the HUD-1, which the broker feels is sufficient.

Do any of you agree that since the presence or absence of a YSP is unknown when the GFE is initially provided, that disclosure is not required? Any ammunition to prove to this broker that disclosure is required under the law?

I've read the segment from Appendix B of RESPA #13 which does state that any payment received by the broker is to be disclosed on the GFE. However, the question mentions that the broker charges a flat fee. In this case, my broker may or may not charge a fee (in the form of a YSP - he sometimes charges the borrower an origination fee instead, which is disclosed on the GFE).

Return to Top
#371173 - 06/13/05 05:54 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
At a former lender, we had a similar situation. Although the rate has not locked, IMHO, the lender is still required to put the information, either by a best guess based on how the broker historically closes loans, or by a range.

When purchasing loans, if the loan was locked, our input made sure the YSP was included on our GFE's. If not locked, we stamped all GFE's with a "range stamp".

We had belonged to a 49 lender cooperative (TX lenders included) and virtually all used the stamp. "Competetive disadvantage" - is a good excuse until the regulators/auditors come in and tell you to do it or else. It didn't hurt our business one bit.

Return to Top
#371174 - 06/13/05 06:03 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
juliad Offline
Gold Star
juliad
Dallas, TX
Thanks SC-Banker. I re-read the RESPA Appendix B question and I think it (along with HUD's 1999 policy statement) will give me the ammunition I need. It's not like his range (for unlocked loans) can't start with 0% and even he admits that if the loan were locked, he would disclose any applicable YSP.

Return to Top
#371175 - 08/19/05 04:50 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
lacawvey Offline
Is is acceptable for the range to be a percentage or is a dollar range required? I was having a discussion with a branch manager earlier in the week and she advised that most brokers prefer to include a percentage range in lieu of a dollar range. We have been requiring a dollar range, however, I am unable to locate anything in RESPA that specifically states dollar amounts are required. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
#371176 - 08/19/05 06:33 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am unable to locate anything in RESPA that specifically states dollar amounts are required. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Agree. we use percentage ranges all the time, expressed as a percentage of the loan or as a % of every thousand dollars.

Return to Top
#371177 - 08/22/05 01:07 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
sansan Offline
100 Club
The hat rack
I found in one of our RESPA manuals where HUD was asked how YSP should be disclosed on the GFE. Among other verbiage, the response suggests YSP to be reflected as "$_____ to $______." IMHO, switching back and forth from %s to $ amounts can be confusing for a consumer.

Return to Top
#371178 - 09/16/05 06:35 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to bring this thread back up. We have sales managers that are stating that the regs do not specifically indicates "YSP" has to be spelled out or in dollar amounts. The sales managers are really fighting compliance on this. They state that their brokers are not being required to spell out YSP or disclose it in dollar amounts by any other lender. Some of the brokers have threatened to move their business elsewhere because of this. Is anyone else coming across these issues?

Return to Top
#371179 - 09/16/05 07:10 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Remember who the board will come down on in the event it is a substantial critisism during an exam - not the loan officers. It's their job to put the loans on the books - yours to make sure the loans comply.

If you're on good terms, contact the regulator - contact the "any other lender" - their compliance officer should be willing to talk to you. Maybe they're getting the same story from their sales managers. Re-read Dave Dickinson's reply above and HUD's opinions too.

Return to Top
#371180 - 09/16/05 07:25 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

I gave them that policy statement and their response is HUD still doesn't say YSP has to be spelled out. HUD switched from using YSP to "mortgage broker fee." This is what we are up against.

Return to Top
#371181 - 09/19/05 07:01 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI - my co-worker contacted HUD and was advised of the following: "The yield spread premium should be stated in dollars to insure that the consumer can understand the amount to be charged. Although there are no requirements to do so, yield spread premium should be spelled out for the same reason." Our examiner's response (OCC) was almost identical to HUD's.

Return to Top
#371182 - 09/28/05 06:32 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
sansan Offline
100 Club
The hat rack
Does the term "yield spread premium" have to be used? We have some brokers who do not want to utilize this term so they do not have to explain its definition and purpose - which is to lower a borrower's upfront costs.

Return to Top
#371183 - 10/13/05 08:07 PM Re: Yield spread premium range
Shopgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
Southeast
Quote:

Quote:

That's correct, as long as the investor isn't table funding the loan.

I am wondering why the YSP it is not required in these cases? The reason I ask is because we do it both ways (i.e. broker for the third party in which the loan does not close in our name and also broker for the third party where the cons/perm closes in our name and is modified to the third party upon permanent) Does this mean we need to show the YSP in the first cases but not the second?

Further reading of these responses to a post, I came across a question about ranges of YSP being reflected instead of a dollar amount.
Currently, our GFE's where we are acting as the broker includes a statement at the bottom of the form above where the borrowers sign the GFE that states: "SRP to investor will vary from 0% to 3%". This is not in a line item series number on the GFE. My guess is becasue it is shown as a percentage instead of dollar. As I read these responses further, it is stated that they should be in dollars, however can someone point me to the requirement on this......the loan officers are getting a little uptight when I recommended to show this on the GFE in a line item and as a dollar amount.

Another question, would anyone know whether this YSP is to be included on the rate lock agreement?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z