Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#371899 - 06/10/05 07:44 PM Employee Incentives
becky0831 Offline
New Poster
Hi. Can anyone give me some feedback on Employee Incentives and how to promote with different departments in the bank? I'm thinking of something more than money, stuff like Hotel/Resort stays and Manicures/Pedicures, movie passes, etc.....
Cash doesn't always get spent on spoiling oneself, as a bill might need to be paid, or an unexpected surprise of not the so good kind happens.
Any advice/opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#371900 - 06/10/05 08:10 PM Re: Employee Incentives
DCollins Offline
Platinum Poster
DCollins
Food! It's always a good incentive. We just introduced new business checking accounts and as a way to encourage the branches to sell these products we said we would stock their Refrigerators with munchies. We have 20 branches, so we divided them into 5 groups, the branch that opened the most business checking accounts during the month of May in each group received the Munchies. It was a fun competition. We posted the total sales at the end of each week, so everyone knew where their branch stood.

Return to Top
#371901 - 06/11/05 05:26 PM Re: Employee Incentives
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about "DO YOUR JOB, AS INSTRUCTED AND ON TIME" and you get to come back tomorrow.

Return to Top
#371902 - 06/11/05 06:30 PM Re: Employee Incentives
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Quote:

How about "DO YOUR JOB, AS INSTRUCTED AND ON TIME" and you get to come back tomorrow.

Hey, I think I've worked for Anonymous

Return to Top
#371903 - 06/13/05 10:59 AM Re: Employee Incentives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Sounds like the best incentive yet!

Return to Top
#371904 - 06/13/05 02:54 PM Re: Employee Incentives
SLU Voice Offline
Gold Star
SLU Voice
Hammond, LA
You can invest years and lots of $$ in employees and tell them to be thankful and to do their job, as instructed, and on time, and they get to come back tomorrow. Then one day you find that they've done their job, as instructed, and on time, but you've thrown away all the $$ you've invested in this employee because as soon as they're fully vested in their retirement, 401K, or whatever, they've taken the experience they've gained, and are now doing their job, as instructed, and on time, but they're doing it somewhere it's appreciated, and aren't salivating like Pavlov's dog.

Return to Top
#371905 - 06/13/05 03:08 PM Re: Employee Incentives
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
snort...good answer. There is nothing better for moral than a little praise now and then.

Return to Top
#371906 - 06/13/05 03:20 PM Re: Employee Incentives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Exactly CPB Bill. This industry has such a high turnover ratio that incentivizing is just good business. That other comment came from scrooge. Unless of course he is from a financial institution that pays people, other than lenders, what they are worth. Then I totally agree.

Return to Top
#371907 - 06/13/05 04:18 PM Re: Employee Incentives
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
It wasn't in banking, but at a former position, we had sales incentives. There were of course the standard commissions built into our montly sales, but then there were the lets get busy today incentives. Our sales manager would have us together at the sales team meeting and flat out tell us, whoever sells the most (opens the most accounts, has the most positive feedback from customers, you pick the results you are looking for) gets bonus X. The bonuses ranged from free hair cuts and styling at a very nice place to a weekend at a hotel in town, to a gift certificate for a nice dinner for two, to movie passes, to an autographed baseball by a local celeb.

She would collect these items and use them to raise morale and to give a little something for the person who had been working hard and had earned it.

Productivity was always highest when she had a good contest going.

Return to Top
#371908 - 06/13/05 04:18 PM Re: Employee Incentives
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Are you looking for performance-based rewards or just employee appreciation type things? We do both but those are of course 2 very different things.

A half day or whole day off with pay is always nice treat and motivational for performance. For appreciation, we do shoulder massages and have the ice cream man come visit. This year we're also doing a lake party for the employees and their families.

Return to Top
#371909 - 06/13/05 04:27 PM Re: Employee Incentives
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Hi. Can anyone give me some feedback on Employee Incentives .....

Yes, have some!

Return to Top
#371910 - 06/13/05 05:27 PM Re: Employee Incentives
doodle Offline
Platinum Poster
doodle
colorado
Quote:

..and have the ice cream man come visit.

I hope you pre-screen your ice cream men!

Return to Top
#371911 - 06/13/05 05:50 PM Re: Employee Incentives
Anonymous
Unregistered

If we get good feedback from other employees or customers $10 goes into an account for us and we can have those turned into giftcards at any time.

Food is also good!

Return to Top
#371912 - 06/13/05 05:58 PM Re: Employee Incentives
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like the best incentive yet!

You would think so...but it doesn't always work. Some employees want more and more, but don't want to give any more (sometimes they even think they should give less and receive the same or more).

I think incentives are great...for those who actually earn them. And only those who truly deserve them should get them. $$$ is always a good incentive, but I do agree with the other BOLers that other things are nice too.

You should find out what motivates your employees. I went to a conference back in April and one of the speakers gave handouts. One was "What do you want from your job?" and the other was "My favorite things". Check them out below.

What Do You Want From Your Job?

Rank in order of importance from 1 (most important) to 10 (least important):

_______ Good Wages
_______ Job Security
_______ Promotion/Growth Opportunities
_______ Good Working Conditions
_______ Interesting Work
_______ Personal Loyalty to Workers
_______ Tactful Discipline
_______ Full Appreciation for Work Done
_______ Sympathetic to Personal Problems
_______ Feeling “In” on Things

Name: ____________________________ (OPTIONAL)

"My Favorite Things"
FOOD
My favorite candy is ____________________________
My favorite dessert is __________________________
My favorite cookie is ___________________________
My favorite beverage is _________________________
My favorite type of food is ________________________________________
I am allergic to/can’t eat/don’t like __________________________________

HOBBIES
My favorite hobby is ________________________________
I like to collect ____________________________________
My favorite thing to do away from work is ________________
My favorite music type or artist is ______________________
My favorite entertainment activity is _________________________________

PERSONAL FAVORITES
Animal: _____________________________
Color: ______________________________
Flower: _____________________________
Store: ______________________________
Sport/Team: _________________________
Holiday: _____________________________

When recognition occurs, do you:

Like surprises more than a planned event? YES or NO
Like personal shows of approval more than group recognition? YES or NO

Be creative. Make these your own to fit your bank. I hope you find these useful.

Return to Top
#371913 - 06/14/05 01:55 PM Re: Employee Incentives
JK Offline
JK
Boston, Massachusetts
I like the survey idea - we have traditionally used $$$ but are about to introduce a new referral program and I am trying to determine what incentives will jazz the program up, aside from cold, hard cash...I would look to the local area business and popular restaurants and such...

Return to Top
#371914 - 06/14/05 07:10 PM Re: Employee Incentives
8675309 Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the wind comes sweeping ...
Our folks love movie passes. Our local theater sells them for $5 each if you purchase 50 or more. We keep them on hand all the time for pats on the back, incentives, and community donations.

Return to Top