Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#37297 - 10/16/02 03:19 PM E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Dear all,
I am planning to start This E-newsletter Called Bank Alert mainly for Our Jordanian Banks and The people On My address Book .in addition This newsletter will be part of My initiative to improve and develop The banks in Jordan association website, which we are working On it Now.

So I am asking all BOL people for help on this E-newsletter, hints, tips, design .any Thing that might at the end develop a nice informative timely proper E-news letter.

Thanks in advance

Return to Top
General Discussion
#37298 - 10/16/02 05:41 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
Hussam,
Here is a link to an E-Newsletter I receive from ABIA. http://www.aba.com/NR/rdonlyres/00006a9dzbjtednlduqjvmog/newsletter_101502.pdf
It is well done, and may give you a few ideas on design, format, etc.
Leslie

Return to Top
#37299 - 10/16/02 05:52 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Here is a link to one of my favorites and actually I had found this through the Launch Pad on the BankersOnline homepage. Good luck.

UMB Consulting http://www.umbconsulting.com/pdf/Sept-Oct2002.pdf

Return to Top
#37300 - 10/17/02 01:37 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Thanks ,but those are ready made Ones.

I am looking to start a newsletter from Scratch with design and links .

Return to Top
#37301 - 10/17/02 01:52 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You can look at some of those formats to help design yours. I assume you'll deliver it in PDF format so you can have text and graphics.

You should decide, based on the number of issues you will distribute and the frequency, weekly, monthly, etc., how long you want it to be. How frequently do things change, who changes them and what is the process? Here as an example, for our process there is the proposal, comments and then the final Reg. Each phase is newsworthy but the last gets the most attention.

I would suggest a section for national/international news/laws/regulations, another for more local n/l/r and possibly a third that involves your subscribers by allowing them to contribute comments. The latter may include local laws, training tips or recognition for a job well done when a bank is given some award. A Security section may exchange tips on what fraud is being seen in the area so others can watch out for it. This may be one by you or someone from local law enforcement.

Another section might be a calendar of events. Again, this adds appeal to the readers. Try to give them content they don't have now, or a bunch in one place so they save time. (Remind you of BOL?)

Obviously a lot depends on how well the banks and other financial institutions work together and what privacy and confidentiality concerns you have to address.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#37302 - 10/17/02 02:00 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Thanks Andy , That was Quieck I must admit

Return to Top
#37303 - 10/17/02 04:16 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Another suggestion - empty spaces are almost as valuable as filled ones. What I mean by that is trying to cram too much information can render a newsletter almost unreadable.

Bullet points, "open-air" formatting, shorter paragraphs, bold letters for important headings, etc., all aid in the "readability" of a user-friendly newsletter.

Return to Top
#37304 - 10/17/02 04:27 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Thanx Bonnie
BTW: it is possible to Obtain a free version of ADOBE ACROBATE to convert word Doc. files into PDF ?

Return to Top
#37305 - 10/17/02 04:36 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Hussam-
The Acrobat Reader, which allows you to view .pdf files, is available as a free download. If you want to make .pdf files, you would need to purchase a full copy of Acrobat.

Return to Top
#37306 - 10/17/02 05:08 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
I know That.Thanks any way.I thought maybe there is some website which offers that for free .

Return to Top
#37307 - 10/17/02 05:31 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I want to say the new Macintosh computers have the ability to save files to PDF. There are also shareware conversion programs that will do it much cheaper than buying the Adobe program. If this is something you are doing on your own, you may not want to pay a high price for software you'll use on a limited basis. Search your favorite shareware sites and I'll bet you find a low-cost alternative.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#37308 - 10/17/02 05:34 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Howard Lax Offline
Gold Star
Howard Lax
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I use Netscape Compose, which is an HTML word processor embedded in Netscape Navigator, to write my newsletter ( http://www.lipsonneilson.com/newsletter.htm ). I send out the newsletter by email before it is put on the web. I found that some mail programs, notably Groupwise from Novell, do not handle graphics and have problems with converted text. Hence, I use Compose, which is a native HTML application, to avoid these problems.

There are also a few people who ask for a Word version of the newsletter since they cannot read the HTML version for some reason. The document produced with Netscape Compose converts easily to Word without any formatting problems.

When the newsletter goes on our firm web page, the HTML mast is replaced by a graphic, but that is our only change.

Return to Top
#37309 - 10/17/02 07:07 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
Adobe will let you sign up for a free trial and create five pdf files on-line. Click here for the web site.

Also the versions of Word (2000)and Excel (2000) I have at work let me convert files to pdf. I do not know if this is an add on or not, but it is extremely convenient.

Return to Top
#37310 - 10/17/02 07:27 PM Re: E-Newletter ......Help Needed :)
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Fresh from my inbox, I haven't used this and there may still be a cheaper alternative...
PDFFactory

PDFFactory lets you create PDF files, combine documents into a single PDF, embed fonts, and send the documents via e-mail. The documents are automatically compressed, so there's no need to Zip them after you're done.

Price: Free trial; $70 to purchase

Download PDFFactory here .

Return to Top