Thread Options
#1402019 - 06/10/10 06:02 PM Re: "FedLine Advantage" HappyGilmore
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Be sure to look at the first story here, "Lessons Learned..."

http://www.bankersonline.com/technology/techtalk2010/techtalk060410.html
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1403523 - 06/14/10 10:10 PM Re: "FedLine Advantage" HappyGilmore
IslandBank Offline
MA, US
Do you have a separate VPN to the Fed from your DR site? The Fed is telling us that that's the only way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated as each time we try, the token seems to be recognizing that she is not really at that PC. She can launch it but once you get to the pass phrase, the issue always ocurrs.

Return to Top
#1403535 - 06/14/10 10:55 PM Re: "FedLine Advantage" IslandBank
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My understanding from speaking about this with the Fed in the past is that yes, you would need to have a separate VPN set up from each physical location. So, if you wanted 1) the bank president to be able to access FedLine Advantage from home and you wanted 2) to be able to access FedLine Advantage from your Disaster Backup site and you want 3) to be able to access FedLine Advantage from the bank as usual, you'll need 3 VPN's set up. Part of me can't really believe that there's no other way to do it, but this is what our Fed support guy and our Fed rep told us.

The algorithms used by the Fed to allow/disallow access by token definitely take into consideration the physical location of the user, and the system will for sure "know" that the user is not in the bank.

Somewhere on FedLine Advantage there is a form to submit to make changes to VPN's and locations. You may want to look at that for clues. Good luck!

Return to Top
#1406907 - 06/22/10 10:05 PM Re: "FedLine Advantage" BurntSienna
Nicholas Offline
MA
"Part of me can't really believe that there's no other way to do it, but this is what our Fed support guy and our Fed rep told us."

You would be correct to not believe it.

We just had a mandatory VPN device replacement. You can have your VPN device set up as your FI sees fit. Depending on what option you have in place, and what network settings you choose for your VPN device, you may not need a VPN device at each location; it's entirely possible to have one VPN device that supports all of your FedAdv users from multiple other locations on other network segments. That said, you would still need a second VPN device at your DR location if the intent is to mitigate the loss of the primary VPN.

I completely agree with the argument NOT to allow remote VPN access from a non-bank managed device! including non-FedAdv related work too.

Nick

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z