Thread Options
#374033 - 06/17/05 06:58 PM Re: New Car
BigAC Offline
100 Club
BigAC
Sweet, Sweet Appalachia
Quote:

Quote:

During my lunch hour, I got to drive my cousin's 2005 Ford F-250 diesel that he got yesterday. That is a LOT of truck! It feels like it could pull just about anything. The only thing I didn't like was the loooooong throws of the manual transmission, but that wasn't too big of a deal. It's a very nice truck!

Mine isn't the diesel but I LOVE my F250 crew cab. Having four doors on the truck is awesome. Mine's an automatic and I just love it. (I already said that didn't I )

His is an extended cab, but I like the crew cabs, too. Now I just wish I could come up with an excuse to get one for myself. I need something big to tow....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#374034 - 06/17/05 07:01 PM Re: New Car
BigAC Offline
100 Club
BigAC
Sweet, Sweet Appalachia
Quote:

Anybody taken advantage of the GM Employee pricing?

Out of curiosity I checked out the prices on the new Silverados. A loaded Z71 extended cab was priced at around $26,000. A Cadillac CTS was about $31,000.

Return to Top
#374035 - 06/17/05 07:47 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Which style do you have, Piano Man? Mine is a crew cab Z71, but I wish I had gotten an extended cab instead. I didn't realize how much I would miss that extra foot of bed space.

I have a 2wd Z71 crew cab. I don't miss the bed space because I have never had a "real" truck. Hauling off the garbage is the most mine ever gets used.

Return to Top
#374036 - 06/17/05 07:49 PM Re: New Car
Piano Man Offline
Gold Star
Piano Man
Down South
Sorry, that Anon was me. I tested the breaks on my Colorado today, and it doesn't stop as good as I had hoped.

Return to Top
#374037 - 06/17/05 08:05 PM Re: New Car
BigAC Offline
100 Club
BigAC
Sweet, Sweet Appalachia
Quote:

Sorry, that Anon was me. I tested the breaks on my Colorado today, and it doesn't stop as good as I had hoped.

I hope you got stopped before you hit anything. Are you riding on the stock General tires? I put new BF Goodrich all-terrain tires on mine last weekend and they seem to have improved the performance of my truck in handling, braking, and especially wet traction.
Last edited by BigAC; 06/17/05 08:06 PM.

Return to Top
#374038 - 06/17/05 08:06 PM Re: New Car
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

A LOT of GM's have brakes that are not as good as other makes. And I'm a GM guy.

Return to Top
#374039 - 06/17/05 08:55 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If you get a CR-V I would get the V6. I have a 4 cylinder model and there is not near enough power. I have to almost floor it to merge onto the highway.

I'm pretty sure the CRV doesn't offer a v6. My wife had the old one until this week. I never had a complaint about merging, passing, anything. Seemed like pretty good get-up-and-go to me.

Quote:

Anybody taken advantage of the GM Employee pricing?

Yes, on the Equinox mentioned above.

We were actually planning on buying in January. I heard one of the "you pay what we pay" ads and kind of laughed, certain that it was a scam. But I checked out Edmunds, and it appeared they really were offering a pretty steep discount. Whether it is more than a normal end-of-model-year clearance or not, I can't say, but it was a pretty good deal.

Our $3,000 earned on the GM card didn't hurt, either.

Return to Top
#374040 - 06/17/05 09:00 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

They offer a V6 in the newer models. I guess I am just used to having more power because I think that it does not have enough. It has the same engine as my wife's Civic. Twice as big same engine. That doesnt make sense to me.

Return to Top
#374041 - 06/17/05 09:17 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

They offer a V6 in the newer models.

No, I'm pretty sure they don't.

Return to Top
#374042 - 06/17/05 09:17 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

just checked kbb.com, the cr-v only comes with a 4 cylinder, although it's a bigger 4 than the civic

Return to Top
#374043 - 06/17/05 11:26 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the new Pontiac G6...the first ever G6 I must remind you! Anybody have one? If so, do you like it?

Return to Top
#374044 - 06/18/05 12:10 AM Re: New Car
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
MAZDA 3s, 4 door, sport-automatic

I did my research- I wanted a small 4-door that didn't have to sacrifice power and comfort. I eventually narrowed my list to either the VW Jetta or the Mazda 3. 2005 is onyl the 2nd year for the Mazda3, but it hasn't had any recalls and has gotten really good reviews (listed as the best car in its class for your dollar in Money Magazine!) I got the bigger 2.3 engine, which has 160 horsepower. I got most of the major options, liek the sport package, safety package, moonroof and 6 cd package, along with a few smaller options and paid just over $20k. My sport-automatic has been getting 26mpg, and I am kinda heavy on the gas pedal, so I'm sure I could get a few extra miles if I drove a little more conservatively. I've had it 2.5 months and am really satisfied. I think my only commplaint is the responsiveness to the gas pedal, btu I think that is only because I am used to driving a v6 and manual, not a 4-cyl auto. I definitely recommend!!!

Return to Top
#374045 - 06/20/05 03:07 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about a GM Hummer? Any BOL'ers have one? Details please...

Return to Top
#374046 - 06/20/05 07:05 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well then I would just avoid the CR-V

Return to Top
#374047 - 06/20/05 08:36 PM Re: New Car
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Well then I would just avoid the CR-V

Edmunds.com (my trusted source) rates it very well.

Return to Top
#374048 - 06/20/05 09:34 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a F350 Diesel Crew Cab 6-speed and I love driving it. It is a little tricky to park sometimes because of the size, but I just bully my way in and out!

Return to Top
#374049 - 06/20/05 09:55 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well maybe they have made some improvements since the 99 model because mine very loud on the road, not much power, and I cant get as comfortable as I have been able to in previous vehicles while driving.

Return to Top
#374050 - 06/20/05 09:56 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was talking about the CR-V

Return to Top
#374051 - 06/20/05 10:05 PM Re: New Car
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Well maybe they have made some improvements since the 99 model because mine very loud on the road, not much power, and I cant get as comfortable as I have been able to in previous vehicles while driving.

Quote:

I was talking about the CRV

I agree, the older model wasn't particularly comfortable for long drives. Wind/road noise I would say is average. Power I wouldn't have a complaint about. Fuel economy is good, and it's a pretty good car to get around town in, run errands, etc. Resale value is very good. Reliability is very good.

I think the '02 and later models have a little better comfort and are a little quieter.

Return to Top
#374052 - 06/21/05 04:44 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought a 2005 Ford Explorer last month. Traded in my 2002 Ford F250. Both are great.

Return to Top
#374053 - 06/21/05 05:47 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bought a '05 Honda CR V last month. It is great. I got the best deal negotiating thru dealers internet service.

Return to Top
#374054 - 06/22/05 01:12 PM Re: New Car
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Quote:

Bought a '05 Honda CR V last month. It is great. I got the best deal negotiating thru dealers internet service.

Which service did you use? I tried this and haven't gotten much of a response.

Also, has anyone bought under the GM employee discount plan? Does this leave the dealer any room for haggling on price, or am I just wasting my time on all the internet sites?

Return to Top
#374055 - 06/23/05 01:23 PM Re: New Car
Anonymous
Unregistered

My very first car was a Toyota Corolla and I drove the snot out of it. 150K miles on it and rarly changed to oil. I drove it until the mechanic told me to save my money and buy somehting new. I have a new Corolla now and like it just as much. I am a little easier on this one. You know, now I acutally change the oil.

Return to Top
#374056 - 07/21/05 03:04 AM Re: New Car
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Any other new cars? I just got an '05 (new) Subaru Forester XS with moonroof, 6 cd changer, and all the goodies in that I package (heated mirrors, compass in rear view mirror, etc.) I spend a lot of time on highways with tractor trailers so I like feeling a little bigger but not a huge SUV. I got it in Obsidian Black Pearl with tan interior. I really like it. Very comfortable. My brother has one and loves it. Great in winter.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#374057 - 07/21/05 01:15 PM Re: New Car
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I really loved the statistics and the appearance of the Chrysler 300 and planned to buy the "C" this spring. However, I've always tried to rent a car before I bought it and, after a long weekend with a 300, decided against it. That snazzy low roofline makes you feel like you are looking out of a tank turret on the highway and you have to lean your head forward just to see stoplights in town. The blind spots are significant.

I was really disappointed and just decided to drive my 300M until it drops or they improve the visibility in the new model.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5