Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#374414 - 06/17/05 07:32 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well you "smart" republicans can go back to data-entry and hop in your pickup trucks at 5. Go Jesus!

Let's see how accurate you described me:

1. Smart - yes, by mortal standards, I am. Thank you.

2. Republican - yes, for the most part.

3. Data-entry - Hardly. I have a BBA and a graduate degree. High level management position. My assistants are very capable of handling the data-entry...do you need a job? I am hiring.
Quote:

BBA - Does that stand for Big Bad A$$???

That's Boss Bad A$$ to you.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#374415 - 06/17/05 07:58 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

ITT Tech has graduate degrees? Do you also drive a Dodge Stratus and can do 20 pushups? Loser.

Return to Top
#374416 - 06/17/05 08:03 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's the deal. I don't know why you people try to use this thread as some vehicle of persuasion. Any debating I know of is done face to face where you can point and counterpoint with ease. Who has the time to shoot back and forth with absurd comments like anybody thinking that the Senator equated a naked man with a holocaust. We as a human race learn from our mistakes and try not to replicate them. And wherever it appears as something is on the verge of repeating we do it again. I believe the point the Senator is trying to make is that we cannot have the moral highground if we are stooping to their level.

Return to Top
#374417 - 06/17/05 08:08 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I believe the point the Senator is trying to make is that we cannot have the moral highground if we are stooping to their level.

The point you don’t see is that we are nowhere near their level. Get a clue and leave the dark side. Try to become a real American.

Return to Top
#374418 - 06/17/05 08:10 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Prisoners held at Gitmo are terrorists. They are fed better than the children in our schools, they are guaranteed the right to pray unlike children in our schools, they live in air conditioned quarters while our schools have to close early due to 90 degree temps in the classroom.

None of these prisoners have been shown on TV with their head cut off.

They actually have it better there than they did in their own country.

Return to Top
#374419 - 06/17/05 08:12 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a real american. Don't insult me. Not all real american watch nascar and drink budweiser.

Return to Top
#374420 - 06/17/05 08:17 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I am a real american. Don't insult me. Not all real american watch nascar and drink budweiser.

You’re right we don’t. Real Americans also believe in supporting their troops, understanding and realizing we are in a war with ruthless people who’s sole aim is to destroy us. Real Americans also understand the ridiculousness of senator Turbins comments. Smoke another doobie and go sell your ice cream.

Return to Top
#374421 - 06/17/05 08:18 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
UKcatsFan Offline
100 Club
UKcatsFan
Anywhere but here
No joke, I used to know of college frats that hazed their newbies more than our soldiers are "torturing" these terrorists. ooh a naked pyramid, so they're getting embarrassed... who cares.

Return to Top
#374422 - 06/17/05 08:18 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Agree 100% Fraudman-the fact that Durbin compared this to the atrocities committed by the Germans and Soviets is dispicable. We have not come close to stooping to their level-if we had, we would have nuked Iraq, Afghanistan and anywhere else we suspected these scumbags were hiding and have been done with it. To heck with the civilians....

Return to Top
#374423 - 06/17/05 08:21 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

By becoming a focus of evil for human rights groups, Sen. Mel Martinez suggested, Guantanamo has become a recruiting tool for al-Qaida: "It's become an icon for bad stories," Martinez said, "and at some point you wonder the cost-benefit ratio."

Martinez was borrowing a point from Sen. Joe Biden. The "Biden" version was: "I think more Americans are in jeopardy as a consequence of the perception that exists worldwide with its existence than if there were no Gitmo."

So if people around the world believe that if they try to kill Americans they might go to a bad, scary place called Guantanamo, that will make them more likely to kill Americans? How about doing a cost-benefit ratio on that analysis?

Let's also pause to ponder the image of the middle-of-the-road, "centrist" Jihadist who could be "recruited" to Jihad by reports about abuse at Guantanamo. You know — the kind of guy who just watches al-Jazeera for the sports and hits the "mute" button whenever they start in about the Jews again, already.

I am sure people exist who are perusing newspaper articles about Guantanamo trying to decide whether to finish their coffee and head off to work or to place a backpack filled with dynamite near a preschool. That does not happen.

What happens is this: There are thousands of Muslim extremists literally dying to slaughter Americans, and only three proven ways to stop them: (1) Kill them (the recommended method), (2) capture them and keep them locked up, or (3) convince them that their cause is lost. Guantanamo is useless for No. 1, but really pulls ahead on No. 2 and No. 3 (i.e. a "purpose").

Let's just hope aspiring Jihadists are not reading past the headlines and discovering that what Amnesty International means by "the gulag of our time" is: No Twinkie rewards for detainees!

That's not a joke. As described in infuriating detail by Heather MacDonald in the Winter, 2005, City Journal, interrogators at Guantanamo are not allowed to:

— yell at the detainees, except in extreme circumstances and only after alerting Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld — and never in the ears;

— serve the detainees cold meals, except in extreme circumstances;

— poke the detainees in the chest or engage in "light pushing" without careful monitoring and approval from the commander of the U.S. Southern Central Command in Miami;

— reward detainees with a Twinkie or a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich in the absence of express approval from the secretary of defense.

Without careful monitoring, interrogators aren't even allowed to subject the detainees to temperature changes, unpleasant odors or sleep cycle disruptions. They are allowed to play Christina Aguilera music and feed the savages the same food our soldiers eat rather than their usual orange-glazed chicken. That isn't sarcasm; these are the rules.

No cold meals, sleep deprivation or uncomfortable positions?

American soldiers make do with C-rations. Meanwhile, one recent menu for suspected terrorists at Guantanamo consisted of orange-glazed chicken, fresh fruit crepe, steamed peas and mushrooms, and rice pilaf.

Sounds like the sort of thing you'd get at Windows on the World — if it still existed.

Return to Top
#374424 - 06/17/05 08:22 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Prisoners held at Gitmo are terrorists. They are fed better than the children in our schools, they are guaranteed the right to pray unlike children in our schools, they live in air conditioned quarters while our schools have to close early due to 90 degree temps in the classroom.

None of these prisoners have been shown on TV with their head cut off.

They actually have it better there than they did in their own country.

In fact, not a single prisoner has died at Gitmo. That's zero of our prisoners versus millions of Jews and Russians.

Yeah, senator Turbins comments seem right on the money. Idiot!

Return to Top
#374425 - 06/17/05 08:38 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Martinez was borrowing a point from Sen. Joe Biden. The "Biden" version was: "I think more Americans are in jeopardy as a consequence of the perception that exists worldwide with its existence than if there were no Gitmo."
Let's also pause to ponder the image of the middle-of-the-road, "centrist" Jihadist who could be "recruited" to Jihad by reports about abuse at Guantanamo. You know — the kind of guy who just watches al-Jazeera for the sports and hits the "mute" button whenever they start in about the Jews again, already.
I am sure people exist who are perusing newspaper articles about Guantanamo trying to decide whether to finish their coffee and head off to work or to place a backpack filled with dynamite near a preschool. That does not happen.

Good analysis, anon, and how about this - to the extent that there would actually be a negative perception about the US committment to human rights in the world, is that because of the incredibly tame interrogations conducted at Gitmo, or because of the use of paranoid political propaganda by Durbin, Dean, The New York Times, and others, in an attempt to damage George W. Bush?

Return to Top
#374426 - 06/17/05 08:40 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just because the incarcerated terrorists were provided with leather-bound Qurans and three daily meals including mixed vegatables with rice pilaf, shrimp creole and muffalatta salad, and caramelized peaches for dessert, does not mean that they were treated well. After all, they were still behind bars. This is why it is important to support an apolitical group like Amnesty International, to investigate the conditions at the prison. At the very least, these terrorists, who are only accused and not convicted, should be released until their trial. Or they could wear electronic monitoring bracelets.

If you want terrorists to be nicer, then we should be nicer, too.

Return to Top
#374427 - 06/17/05 08:42 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Just because the incarcerated terrorists were provided with leather-bound Qurans and three daily meals including mixed vegatables with rice pilaf, shrimp creole and muffalatta salad, and caramelized peaches for dessert, does not mean that they were treated well. After all, they were still behind bars. This is why it is important to support an apolitical group like Amnesty International, to investigate the conditions at the prison. At the very least, these terrorists, who are only accused and not convicted, should be released until their trial. Or they could wear electronic monitoring bracelets.

this has to be sarcasm, i can't believe anyone is this ignorant

Return to Top
#374428 - 06/17/05 08:46 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Do you not understand how enemy combatants, like those at Gitmo, have been treated by the US and every other civilized nation in the past? Instead of capturing them, the were killed and their deaths were chalked up to war.

Do you mind if we release them into your neighborhood? At least the electronic monitoring device would tell us where they were when your head was separated from your shoulders.

You aren't un-American, you are naive.

Return to Top
#374429 - 06/17/05 08:47 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
We are fighting an enemy that murdered 3,000 innocent people on American soil 3 1/2 years ago and would murder millions more if given the chance--and according to Dick Durbin, our soldiers are the Nazis.

Return to Top
#374430 - 06/17/05 08:48 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

if we want terrorists to be nicer, we should kill more of them before they kill more of us

Return to Top
#374431 - 06/17/05 08:54 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
The above comment and the following are excerpted from the WSJ

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, took the Senate floor yesterday and likened American servicemen to Nazis:

On a couple of occasions, I entered interview rooms to find a detainee chained hand and foot in a fetal position to the floor, with no chair, food or water. Most times they urinated or defecated on themselves, and had been left there for 18-24 hours or more. On one occasion, the air conditioning had been turned down so far and the temperature was so cold in the room, that the barefooted detainee was shaking with cold. . . . On another occasion, the [air conditioner] had been turned off, making the temperature in the unventilated room well over 100 degrees. The detainee was almost unconscious on the floor, with a pile of hair next to him. He had apparently been literally pulling his hair out throughout the night. On another occasion, not only was the temperature unbearably hot, but extremely loud rap music was being played in the room, and had been since the day before, with the detainee chained hand and foot in the fetal position on the tile floor.

If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime--Pol Pot or others--that had no concern for human beings. Sadly, that is not the case. This was the action of Americans in the treatment of their prisoners.
_______

I guarantee you that if that prisoner had anything to do with 9/11 or Osama bin Laden, 99% of Americans would fully support this type of "abuse." We are not as stupid as Durbin and company think we are. Americans know you do not get information from trained terrorists by asking them nicely to rat out their comrades!

Return to Top
#374432 - 06/17/05 08:56 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
UKcatsFan Offline
100 Club
UKcatsFan
Anywhere but here
I'd like to make a comment if I may. I'm still relatively young and have not had much experience with politics, so I try to read some of these posts with an open mind to help me get a better feel for where I stand (along with self educating in other ways). Some of these liberal comments are making it extremely tough for me to even have any questions as to where I stand... Be nicer to the terrorists and they'll be nicer to us??? Is anon being serious??!!

Return to Top
#374433 - 06/17/05 09:02 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I guess Durbin, et al expect that a stern talking to will crack these highly trained, hardened, self sacrificing murderers. "you better tell us, or else". These terrorists know that with the help of the media, the people of america will begin to turn and forget what happened to the 3000 innocent people. We are so short sighted...wait until the next attack...

Return to Top
#374434 - 06/17/05 09:06 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
You will notice that Turbin Durbin has never used any language remotely similar to this when speaking of the terrorists that took down th WTC, the terrorists that behead prisoners, the terrorists that blow up and rip apart the bodies of innocent babies.

No, to Turbin Durbin these acts are, evidently, not worthy of mention. But play rap music to a detainee, make them cold and keep them shackled? Now THAT is so in-human that is must be mentioned.

Liberalism: Absolutely a mental disease.

Anyone dead who votes for Turbin Durbin is a dead idiot.

Return to Top
#374435 - 06/17/05 09:12 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to admit that I did not like reading about this treatment of a detainee and I would probably call something like this torture if it were happening to our soldiers. That being the case, I agree with X that Durbin has saved his strongest words for us and not those who want to kill us. Gitmo would not exist save and except for the fact that these people want to kill as many of us as possible.

Return to Top
#374436 - 06/17/05 09:37 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

OK, you've convinced me. We should set the Gitmo prisoners free AND LOCK YOU UP!

Return to Top
#374437 - 06/17/05 09:45 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

You're right....I prefer Coors or Amstel!

Return to Top
#374438 - 06/17/05 10:17 PM Re: U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill
Zamboni Driver Offline
Platinum Poster
Zamboni Driver
Going round and round
It really does get old hearing politicians try to turn the war on terror against the President for strictly political gain. I can respect them disagreeing with the President, but to attack US soldiers and compare them to Nazi's is uncalled for by any American.

I can just imagine what would happen if another attack similar to 9/11 happened, and it was then discovered that one of the Gitmo prisoners had pertinent info that could have helped the US stop the attack. President Bush and the armed forces, FBI and CIA would all be blasted by the democrats and media for not doing enough to get the information, and for falling down on the job. One or two might even blast the President for coddling the prisoners and treating them so well - letting them eat better than soldiers and school children. There would be endless committee hearings to get to the bottom of how the intelligence serivces and armed forces let our country down yet again.

Would I want to go through what the prisoners are? Absolutely not! But there is an easy way to avoid it. Don't attack the US or any of its citizens or soldiers.

For the poster who posted "If you want terrorists to be nicer, then we should be nicer, too. " (sarcastically, I hope), I offer an alternative wording:

If the terrorists want the U.S. to be nicer, than they should be nicer too.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7