Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#375700 - 06/21/05 05:12 PM Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

what made you take one? Symptoms?

Return to Top
#375701 - 06/21/05 05:17 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
I friend of mine had one done. She was showing symptoms of having Crohn's Disease.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/archive/365.html

Return to Top
#375702 - 06/21/05 05:20 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Due to the number of incidences of colon cancer in the family, I started having these annually last year in order to catch it before it gets anywhere.

It's NOT fun.

Return to Top
#375703 - 06/21/05 05:28 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
I've had one every 3-4 years since I turned 40. No symptoms or family history, just thought it might be the smart thing to do. The first time they removed 3 benign polyps. That was the only time; none since. Don't fear the procedure. You're mildly sedated - - it's over before you know it.

Return to Top
#375704 - 06/21/05 05:29 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I had to have one last month and finishing the "cocktail" was a pain in the rear!

Return to Top
#375705 - 06/21/05 06:09 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
berico Offline
Gold Star
California
Both my wife and I have had one recently (she is a cancer survivor, no history in my family). Ages 55 and 58. No problem.

Return to Top
#375706 - 06/21/05 06:09 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My fiance turned 50 and his Dr wanted him to have one becasue his mother had a history of stomach and digestive system disorders.

The prep is the worst part.

Return to Top
#375707 - 06/21/05 06:26 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They are no big deal if you have the right prep. If they want to give you Go-lytely, go to a different doctor. Do the 24 hour fast followed by Phosphosoda. Two 8 oz. drinks that aren't that bad. And, since you've been fasting for 24 hours, the end result isn't that bad either. FIND THE RIGHT DOCTOR!

Return to Top
#375708 - 06/21/05 06:59 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Weeeelllll, I guess if you don't mind not eating for a whole day it isn't too bad.

Return to Top
#375709 - 06/21/05 07:23 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, not eating for 24 hours is a breeze compared to drinking a gallon or so of that "fish water" (Golytely). The phosphosoda is no problem to drink.

Return to Top
#375710 - 06/21/05 07:35 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
SLU Voice Offline
Gold Star
SLU Voice
Hammond, LA
My wife had one last month. She said the procedure wasn't bad, but she did have to drink a gallon of that "fish water". She said that was disgusting. The way she described it, I think she'd rather fast for a week than drink that stuff again. She did have a couple of benign polyps that were removed.

Return to Top
#375711 - 06/21/05 07:36 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I disagree with the advice on Go-lytely. I have a series of digestive disorders including a mild form of Crohns and Bile Reflux. The phosphosoda will set of spasms of the bile duct that is worse than any gall bladder attack I ever had. My doctor will only order the Go-lytely for his patients if they cannot tolerate the other solutions.

I had 3 in 2 1/5 years and other than the prep it was no problem. I am now on the 5 year recheck. My husband is on the 10 yr recheck. I think that will be changed because his brother at 50 just had colon cancer.

Everyone will tell you that the prep is worse than anything else that happens.

Return to Top
#375712 - 06/21/05 08:00 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
What I hated was not eating!

Return to Top
#375713 - 06/21/05 09:00 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I had my first one when I was 33. I had no physical symptoms, but a family history of colon cancer, and a wonderful doctor. Less than a month later I had surgery to remove most of my colon due to cancer (the more drastic surgery was done to help prevent a recurrence). They said I would never have to have another colonoscopy - future testing could be done with less invasive procedures. Of course, many years later I had to have another colonoscopy (they did remove another cancerous polyp) - and will probably have to another one again pretty soon.

Anyway, the colonoscopy, even with the prep, was definitely easier than the surgery - don't avoid the test because you're worried about it!

Return to Top
#375714 - 06/21/05 09:53 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband had one at 26. She suffers from really bad Acid Reflux. They decided to go at him from both ends! Prep really sucked for him. He didn't listen to and follow directions....oops!

Return to Top
#375715 - 06/21/05 10:05 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I've had two, 4 years apart. My father died of colon cancer, so it's on the schedule for everyone in the family. The prep is worse than the procedure (since you're unconscious.) The prep 4 years ago was much worse than the more recent one. Not fun, but, worse things have happened to me...

The one funny part was when they hooked me up to the monitors before the procedure. My resting pulse was clicking along in the low 50's high 40's. The tech kept asking if I'd already been sedated.

Return to Top
#375716 - 06/21/05 10:09 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I've also had two done. My mom died of colon cancer so I am a big advocate of screening.

I agree that the Go-lytely stuff is bad! The second time it actually made me sick. But, all of that is no big deal compared to what can happen if you don't do it.

Return to Top
#375717 - 06/22/05 01:13 AM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Been there. Done that. Will probably have to pull my t-shirt out again for a recheck in the not too distant future. Bottom line - Rubaiyat's right. Consider the alternative!

Return to Top
#375718 - 06/22/05 01:36 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Quote:

I've also had two done. My mom died of colon cancer so I am a big advocate of screening.

I agree that the Go-lytely stuff is bad! The second time it actually made me sick. But, all of that is no big deal compared to what can happen if you don't do it.

My mom also died of colon cancer so I have had one and need to schedule the next checkup. Not my favorite thing to do, prep is worse than the procedures but the alternative is not something I would want. Now to get my husband to get his done. Any suggestions on how to acomplish that???

Return to Top
#375719 - 06/22/05 02:35 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Quote:

My mom also died of colon cancer so I have had one and need to schedule the next checkup. Not my favorite thing to do, prep is worse than the procedures but the alternative is not something I would want. Now to get my husband to get his done. Any suggestions on how to acomplish that???

Make the appointment for him, drive him to the pre-screening, buy him the prep stuff, make him do it, etc.

Or you could just tell him to 'butch up' and do it.

Return to Top
#375720 - 06/22/05 02:52 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there a standard in the medical industry to tell whether you should have one and how often? Is there a certain age after which everyone should have one? I had one many years ago, but nothing was found. My maternal grandfather had colon cancer in the 1970s and survived (thrived) for 25, or so, more years.

Return to Top
#375721 - 06/22/05 03:23 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I had one done about 2 years ago...maybe a little longer, due to a family history of colon cancer.

Now, I'm not sure about all that "stuff" you guys are drinking....My doctor told me that I had to fast for 24 hours, only clear liquids (at least nothing red or blue)....and drink about 4 ozs of Fleets, twice during the 24 hours......

Well, Fleets, hits my mouth and comes right out.....I just can't.....so he prescribed Mirolox (I think that is what it is called..I know that isn't how it is spelled). Anyway, you mix it with anything except something in the colors mentioned.

I used Gatorade (Lime) and it tasted like ....well, it actually had a good taste if you like lime gatorade.......

Good luck!

Return to Top
#375722 - 06/22/05 04:21 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bottom line

Hee Hee Hee you said Bottom Line

Return to Top
#375723 - 06/22/05 04:37 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Quote:

Is there a standard in the medical industry to tell whether you should have one and how often? Is there a certain age after which everyone should have one? I had one many years ago, but nothing was found. My maternal grandfather had colon cancer in the 1970s and survived (thrived) for 25, or so, more years.

My Dr. said that if there is no history in your family of colon cancer or other colon health issues, you should begin screening at age 50. The good thing about colon cancer is that it is typically slow growing so you only need a colonoscopy ever 4 or 5 years.

If you have a family history of colon problems or cancer, your screening should start earlier.

In my mom's case, her small town doctor never mentioned having a colonoscopy as a standard procedure, which would have probably detected the cancer and she would still be here today.

Like the ad says, "JUST DO IT!"

Return to Top
#375724 - 06/22/05 05:11 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
What a pain in the rear

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett