Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#375725 - 06/23/05 02:57 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had to have my first at 40 due to family history (great-grandmother, great aunt, mother, uncle all either died for or had it). They found 3 polyps in that first one. I was given 5 years until the next. It all really depends upon family history and the frequency of that history.

Return to Top
#375726 - 06/24/05 02:52 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
When I turned 50 my gynocologist recommended I have one, but I didn't. But the next year my mom was diganosed with colon cancer.Luckily they feel they were able to remove all the cancer. Both her gastrointrologist and surgeon insisted I be tested. I was and everything checked out OK. It really wasn't as bad as I had imagined. They gave me some pills the day before that "cleared my colon". They didn't put me to sleep but did give some type of medication that sure made me unaware of the whole ordeal. The worst thing was doing without solid food for about 24 hrs and water for about 18 hours.

Return to Top
#375727 - 06/24/05 06:53 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had one two months ago. Here's how it went for me. The day before the procedure, I had to start taking a foul-tasting liquid laxative and could not eat anything. The day of the procedure, my wife took me to the endoscopy center. I went in, put on a gown, and got into bed. I was given a pill to relax me and then an IV was started. I was wheeled into the op room where I was given medicine to relax me; actuall, I fell asleep. About a half-hour later, I was back in post-op and the nurse was waking me up. After about 30 minutes, I got dressed, my wife drove me home, I had some soup, and slept the rest of the afternoon. No pain and my results were negative. Don't sweat it!!!

Return to Top
#375728 - 06/27/05 08:08 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
FlBankerGal Offline
FlBankerGal
The prep is the worse we all agree. My Dad passed away last year from colon cancer and my sister had surgery last week 'cause her colon cancer re-occurred in her liver and my husband is 6 months into recovery from colon cancer (no systems at age 49). I've had the "procedure" done twice. Anon is right - great sleep. As Larry the Cable Guy says Git'R Done!

Return to Top
#375729 - 06/29/05 05:10 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
This must be different from the procedure my husband had, which had him awake and something to do with barium. He also complained about the prep which seems the same as with the colonoscopy, drink the stuff out of the green bottle and suppositories.

Luckily, my doc said at my physical this year that I don't have to go for two more years for this kind of test. Woo hoo!

Return to Top
#375730 - 06/29/05 06:51 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I had two in my early 30's because I was having gastric problems and there is a strong line of colon cancer marching its way down my family tree.

The first time I took the Go-Litely and threw it all up. I also woke up during the procedure an was very uncomfortable. I found a new doctor and when he did it I only had to take the Fleet stuff and the procedure went very smoothly. Make sure you get a good doctor and you will sleep like a baby, wake up half stoned and be happy for the rest of the day.

Return to Top
#375731 - 06/29/05 07:36 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I recently had a gastric scope, where they knock you out and check out your esophagus and stomach. Loved the sedation. My husband said I woke up three times on the way home and told him about the procedure. Can't remember doing that. Heck, can't remember getting to the car! Slept like a stone for three hours, then woke up feeling fine, not groggy.

And good news, no damage from the acid reflux. Caught it in time.

Return to Top
#375732 - 06/30/05 05:36 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
Nanwa, sounds like your husband had a barium enema. I had to have this after attempting a colonoscopy. It was discovered that I have diverticulosis during the colonoscopy and the scope kept getting caught on one of the "fingers". Therefore the doctor couldn't complete the scope as I kept waking up - I do remember it hurting. Not to scare anyone as I think I am the exception the norm. Anyway, to complete the exam I was immediately sent to have the barium enema so they could view my entire colon. This test was the worst but the results were great, no polyps, no more tests until I'm 50. It was definitely worth having to get a clean bill of health.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#375733 - 06/30/05 06:25 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
Quote:

My husband said I woke up three times on the way home and told him about the procedure. Can't remember doing that.

My husband woke up three times and asked me each time "How'd it go?". The last time he asked I told him that everything was fine, but he had to do it again in two weeks! That was so much fun.

Return to Top
#375734 - 07/01/05 04:25 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
berico Offline
Gold Star
California
My wife's heading for her second in three years (former cancer patient,different type, history of polyps). This is one of the easiest cancers to cure if detected early. Go for it by all means.

Return to Top
#375735 - 07/05/05 07:10 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Cat Woman Offline
Diamond Poster
Cat Woman
New England
My mom's had one, and she said it wasn't all that bad. Like most of you had mentioned, she said that the prep was the worst part. She was knocked out for the procedure.

Due to family history and my own issues, I'll have to start getting them in two years when I'm 30. I just can't wait.
I shouldn't complain though - at least they have this sort of test to help.

Return to Top
#375736 - 07/06/05 12:06 AM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
tahdah Offline
Platinum Poster
Co worker was overdue and went for one in late Feb or early March. Said that the prep was the worst part. Had the test and came back ok. 4 weeks later diagnosed with cancer, tumors all over, brain, back, stomach and died a few weeks later. Makes you wonder, how did the cancer not show up in pre-testing? She had cancer through-out her body but not in the colon. Got to say, it doesn't make me want to get a colonoscopy any time soon. Also, heard that for women, colonscopy is needed, sigmoid scope it not thuough enough.

Return to Top
#375737 - 07/06/05 03:00 AM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I had one this year - been putting it off for two (was told 50 is the golden year to think about having the first one). The prep was a pain - I did the Fleet drink. Not a problem except for about the last 5 gulps. The procedure was a piece of cake and I was out for the duration. No pain no discomfort. It does take a day or two to get your system back on track, but it's worth all the cleaning out before hand. DO IT!

Return to Top
#375738 - 07/06/05 08:41 PM Re: Anyone has had a colonoscopy?
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
A bit of discomfort and then it's all over. I'd rather be safe than sorry. BE STRONG!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett