Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#375981 - 06/22/05 02:10 PM Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi folks I am seeking your help. We are finding increasingly that customers talking on cell phone within the branches is disruptive to the tellers as they process the transactions. Do you find this to be true also. If so, have you adopted a policy or procedure preventing this use. Could I please get a copy of it. Thanks you very much. Mark Nickerson

Return to Top
General Discussion
#375982 - 06/22/05 02:23 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

disruptive to the tellers

Maybe you should just put the tellers in an area of the bank where customers aren't allowed...

Seriously, I don't get this. Maybe I'm not understanding the nature of the distraction.

Return to Top
#375983 - 06/22/05 02:23 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't heard of this issue as much as camera phones. On a recent trip the gal next to me said that her credit union banned the use of cell phones in the building for that reason. Customers seemed receptive, which surprised me.

If a customer insists on standing in front of the teller, talking on the phone and not to the teller as in what they want to do, they could nicely be asked to return to the line until they complete their call and then look to the line and say "next".

But if the customer is multi-tasking and the teller is confused by the person on the phone while they should be completing the transaction, I'd say the teller needs to sharpen their skills. I could talk to someone there or on the phone and that shouldn't bother a teller.

This doesn't mean I approve of cell phone use in this manner. I think it can be rude. But I also think there are times I am making my living doing this and am not interfering with the person helping me.
Last edited by Andy Z; 06/22/05 02:26 PM.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#375984 - 06/22/05 05:47 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
AnnL Offline
Gold Star
AnnL
Western PA
We don't have any such policy, but I was at AAA recently and they have the following sign posted at each service rep's window " I would be happy to help you when you are finished with your phone call"

Return to Top
#375985 - 06/22/05 06:00 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I love it!!!

Return to Top
#375986 - 06/22/05 06:01 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky
We don't have any policy on this either, but our local post office has signs at each window that say something to the effect of please discontinue use of your cell phone before approaching the window.

Return to Top
#375987 - 06/22/05 06:20 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I agree that it is more of an issue of security with potential use of camera phones to take pictures of bank security measures than it is an issue of courtesy.

Return to Top
#375988 - 06/22/05 09:09 PM Re: Customer Cell Phone Usage within branches
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
There is also another aspect of this behavior that's troubling. How many times have you been waited on by a teller who interrupts the transaction to take a phone call? How many times have you been made to feel like an interruption as a customer trying to check out at the C-store while the clerk (rhymes with jerk) chats with his/her latest love interest using his/her new Bluetooth headset?

If the teller in your case needs to communicate with the gabbing customer, he or she is forced to wait or interrupt. Neither option is good.

Customers really ought to practice the same sort of courtesy that they expect from those who serve them.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top