Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#378195 - 06/28/05 03:36 PM SAR'S on Lottery Letters
Movie Girl Offline
Movie Girl
Louisiana
DOes anyone know if we should file an SAR on letters recieved by customers from these lottory winnings where they are asked to cash a check for so much money and then turn around and send a money order for the percentage of the surcharge? The customer is only bringing the letter and check into our bank to see what we think about these letters. If we tell them that these are scams which they already have a feeling they are. The customer just wants to know what they should do with them. Are we to do an SAR on these? :

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#378196 - 06/28/05 08:39 PM Re: SAR'S on Lottery Letters
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I see no benefit to filing a SAR in these cases, especially since you have no way to identify the suspect and you are not suffering a loss. All you can do is to educate your customer in the "if its too good to be true..." axiom.

Return to Top
#378197 - 07/27/05 03:57 PM Re: SAR'S on Lottery Letters
Warriors Offline
New Poster
What about if the customer deposits the check(usually w/a hold!)?

Do you then file a SAR once it's confirmed the check is Fake?

And to expand farther, if a SAR is filed, do you use the information the customer has in their letter or do you just mark unknown, thus kicking this to the $25,000 mark?

Return to Top
#378198 - 07/27/05 06:41 PM Re: SAR'S on Lottery Letters
Anonymous
Unregistered

Per FinCEN guidence, you are not required to file on these "Nigerian" scam letters unless a loss has been sustained.

Return to Top
#378199 - 07/29/05 05:21 AM Re: SAR'S on Lottery Letters
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If the customer deposits a check that turns out to be fake, I would file a SAR if the amount is above $5,000. I would use the information from the customer's letter for your suspect.

The unknown suspect usually happens when you suffer a loss from a forged or counterfeit check. In those instances, you don't know who the suspect is.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z