Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#379182 - 06/30/05 01:46 AM Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am curious as to how many of my fellow security/loss prevention associates are reaching out into the communties they serve to conduct ID Theft/Internet fraud prevention or other loss prevention presentations to civic groups, senior organizations or other groups that may have an interest.

I would also be interested in learning the subjects you are speaking about to determine if there are topics that I am missing.

I currently conduct ID theft, Internet fraud, FACTA, Cross Border Lottery Fraud, counterfeit postal money orders, and chekc fraud presentations for any group that requests them.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#379183 - 06/30/05 01:49 AM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Sorry, this was my post. Thought I was logged in!

Return to Top
#379184 - 06/30/05 01:27 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I have done a few presentations for seniors and civic organizations. Everyone wants you to speak about ID theft, but I also try to throw in any current scam information along with classic fraud examples. People seem intrigued by this stuff that has become somewhat routine to us.

Return to Top
#379185 - 06/30/05 01:58 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
We are a $600 million plus bank and are just starting to get hit about every week with customers falling for phishing scams. We have a lobby notice in each branch that discusses this along with lottery scams. We also sent a phishing brochure to every debit card customer. We are staring to monitor our foreign debit and ATM card activity for fraud. We can't seem to get the message out strong enough about not answering e-mails with your personal information. It is almost always EBay or Paypal.

Return to Top
#379186 - 06/30/05 02:01 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
And EBay and PayPal also send out alerts and have notices all over their websites. I guess people don't read or just don't think it will happen to them.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#379187 - 06/30/05 04:03 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Rosco P. Coltrane Offline
100 Club
Greater Chicago Area
We do them all the time. We have a regulary scheduled ID theft seminar that is targeted to our clients and I provide a fraud seminar very much like Fraudman's to clients, business groups, commercial clients and their clients, and municipalities. My take on it is this... The more people know, the less fraud the banking system will experience so we can spend our time fine tuning our controls instead of handling customer initiated investigations. Remember:

Knowing is half the battle...

Return to Top
#379188 - 06/30/05 05:35 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
jjjeepman2003 Offline
New Poster
jjjeepman2003
Louisiana
Does anyone have training material used to train employees on Identity Theft that they can share.

Thank you

Return to Top
#379189 - 07/01/05 04:41 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Jae Offline
100 Club
Mid-Missouri
After a number of our customers were bilked by lottery scams and fraudulent money orders I wrote an article for our local paper outling assorted scams currently in operation. I was pleased and surprised when our editor put the article on the front page. Thanks to Fraudman, CPP, I had a lot of good information. I believe the article has stirred some thought in our community. I base this on the number of questions Ihave received since the article was printed from the public concerning scams.

Return to Top
#379190 - 07/01/05 06:22 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Gator Offline
New Poster
Gator
Oregon
You've probably seen our partnership with BankersOnline to provide our CrimeDex service as BOL CrimeDex. We also give Id Theft and other fraud topic presentations across the country. We have given "private client" type breifings for Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, A.G. Edwards and others' clients. Send me an email if you'd like more info on this service.
Jim Hudson, Amcrin Corp, a BankersOnline partner.

Return to Top
#379191 - 07/04/05 04:01 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Folks,

Many of you have developed excellent training tools for your institutions, other BOLers and customers alike. How about posting them in BankerTools? Many of us who talk about this stuff nationally have made these kinds of donations. The nice "thanks" emails you'll get can kinda make you feel all trembly inside . . .

Return to Top
#379192 - 07/05/05 02:36 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
We did one for a local chamber of commerce. The Security officer did ID theft and I did FCRA/FACT.

We used the FTC's booklet for ID theft.

Return to Top
#379193 - 07/05/05 02:38 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
FTC ID Theft page Here's the link.

Return to Top
#379194 - 07/05/05 08:19 PM Re: Fraud/Identity Theft Presentations
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Check with your state AARP office. They have a massive three ring binder called a Fraud Kit that has about eight different presentations of interest to seniors.

There is no charge for this and if you do presentations they even provide the handouts free.

The material included is very good and you can even add your own.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z