BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#380899 - 07/05/05 09:19 PM History of the transit number
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Does anyone have a good resource for the history and coding of the ABA R/T - please PM me if so.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#380900 - 07/05/05 09:34 PM Re: History of the transit number
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
How about the ABA? They designed it in 1910. They may be able to give you more detail than is on their site.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#380901 - 07/05/05 10:00 PM Re: History of the transit number
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Look on page V of the TFP Key to Routing Numbers. More information than you ever wanted to know.

Return to Top
#380902 - 07/05/05 10:08 PM Re: History of the transit number
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Maybe what I should clarify is that I'm trying to find to find the match between the ABA and R/T and what each set of numbers identifies. I know the basics - the FRB region, etc - but there is more and I have googled til the fingers turned blue and can't seem to find anything - I'm sure it's probably in a real old 'Principles of Banking' text book, but where would I find one of those?

PS - I've spoken to a couple reps at TFP and they don't seem know what the numbers mean either, other than the Fed region.

Return to Top
#380903 - 07/06/05 01:36 AM Re: History of the transit number
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Did you find this site?

Other than this information, the third digit from a bank standpoint stood for the checking processing region in which the bank was located and the fourth digit was the approximate original days float associated with the presentment time from the fed to the bank. Digits 5 thru 8 where basically issued in order of assignment. The ninth digit is a check digit. With the consolidation of the check processing regions and high speed check presentment - most of this is pretty meaningless.

And that is all I know

Return to Top
#380904 - 07/06/05 06:57 PM Re: History of the transit number
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
From memory from an old Principles of Banking book - once upon a time, and in the early part of the century before computers, when the little cubbyholes were used for sorting, the routing and transit numbers consisted first of the 50 largest cities in the US (numbers 1 - 50) and the states beginning with 51 through 99.

Later on as MICR started they changed to the FRB districts, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett