BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#381334 - 07/06/05 07:25 PM Rescission-Odd Situation
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Situation:
Ex-husband and ex-wife own the dwelling.
Husband moved out of the house at the time of the divorce and is living in an apartment.
Husband is now taking out a mortgage to purchase wife's half of home; it will then be his residence.
Is this rescindable?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#381335 - 07/06/05 08:07 PM Re: Rescission-Odd Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think that as long as he still an ownership interest in the property, then it it rescindable. Now, when the loan closes, the wife will no longer have an owenership in the property, therefore, it is not rescindable for her.

Return to Top
#381336 - 07/06/05 09:01 PM Re: Rescission-Odd Situation
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
An ownership in property does not make the dwelling the primary dwelling and in this case I think you could make a reasonable argument the dwelling is not his primary dwelling, however because you are dealing with a divorce situation I would look to the following and err on the side of caution and provide the ROR:

Supplement I, 226.2: Definitions and Rules of Construction (01/01/01)

2(a)(24) Residential mortgage transaction.

5. Acquisition. i. A residential mortgage transaction finances the acquisition of a consumer’s principal dwelling. The term does not include a transaction involving a consumer’s principal dwelling if the consumer had previously purchased and acquired some interest to the dwelling, even though the consumer had not acquired full legal title.

ii. Examples of new transactions involving a previously acquired dwelling include the financing of a balloon payment due under a land sale contract and an extension of credit made to a joint owner of property to buy out the other joint owner’s interest. In these instances, disclosures are not required under §226.18(q) or §226.19(a) (assumability policies and early disclosures for residential mortgage transactions). However, the rescission rules of §§226.15 and 226.23 do apply to these new transactions.

Return to Top
#381337 - 07/07/05 02:18 PM Re: Rescission-Odd Situation
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Thank you so much. That works for me.

Return to Top
#381338 - 07/07/05 02:44 PM Re: Rescission-Odd Situation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan -- Where can I access a copy of Supplement I?

Return to Top
#381339 - 07/07/05 02:55 PM Re: Rescission-Odd Situation
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z