BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#38228 - 10/22/02 04:02 PM ILA Late fees
Kari Offline
100 Club
Kari
PA
Okay, 2 questions in one day...!!
Occ told me to refer to PA Code. Which I did however I am still confused. Consumer installment loan late fees are currently 2.50 or 5% of the amount of the installment. However, we are considering raising that. PA code states installment and extensions of credit to indiv etc are different.
My questions which is turning out to be not so simple is.... Can we raise our late fees on individual installment loans (car, etc)?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#38229 - 10/22/02 04:35 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Well that will depend on PA's code. You should definitely be able to raise your fees to the maximum allowable for your new loans, but may not be able to for existing loans. In IN our late fees are adjusted every 2 years. At that time we can increase the late fees for new accounts and we can also, if the proper disclsoure was given and contracted for, increase the late fees on the existing accounts. Look at PA's code to see what your options are.

Return to Top
#38230 - 10/22/02 05:14 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If your contract says your late fee may be the maximum allowed by law you could increase it. Likely it is specific and says you may charge 2.5% or 5%, whatever, of the installment due. That means the adjustment would require an agreed contractual change with each borrower.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#38231 - 10/22/02 05:49 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Andy is correct in that it depends how your contract reads. This is how our contract reads both in the Fed Box and under the contract clause of the note:

Late Charge : If a payment is more than 10 days late, I will be charged 5.000 percent of the unpaid portion of payment or $16.00, whichever is less.

These amounts may change pursuant to Indiana Code 24-4.5-1-106 and 24-4.5-3-203.5 so as to always be the maximum amount allowed by law.

Look for similar language in your contracts.

Return to Top
#38232 - 10/24/02 01:10 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Kari Offline
100 Club
Kari
PA
Our contract reads more than 15 days the $2.50 or 5% whichever is less on our installment, individual loans. The PA code says for installment $2.50 or 5% but for individual credit $20. Aren't installment loans individual loans, this is where we are getting confused. Any help?

Return to Top
#38233 - 10/24/02 01:26 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You are getting very specific now as you discuss state laws, definitions and practices. I can't answer your question but you might try the PA forum in the main index. Hopefully a PA banker will be able to provide some info. These can get tricky.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#38234 - 10/24/02 01:48 PM Re: ILA Late fees
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I have to agree with Andy that you are getting specific into PA laws and you'll need a PA banker to help you out.

You may want to call your state's Department of Financial Institutions (that's what it's called in IN anyway) and speak to them about your options and have them explain the difference between the definitions of an installment loan and an individual loan. It may be a difference between an installment loan and a single pay loan, just a thought.

Anyway, our DFI is very helpful in answering questions for us and I would assume that PA's would be too.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z