BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#382965 - 07/11/05 07:42 PM Re: Post a Kindness
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
Nothing like getting a little misty at work.:o It's like Chiken Soup for the Soul. I appreciate reading all of the wonderful stories. Thank you.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#382966 - 07/11/05 08:07 PM Re: Post a Kindness
Anonymous
Unregistered

over the weekend i woke up with the worst neck ache in history...couldnt do anything, it hurt soooo bad!....my hubby rubbed my neck, made me dinner, did every thing he could to help me feel better...hes the best husband in the world...just thought i would share this.

Return to Top
#382967 - 07/11/05 08:53 PM Re: Post a Kindness
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Z, write your poem, you will be glad and blessed. My Aunt wrote a poem for my Grandfather on his birthday in Feb 1991, he passed away on March 9, 1991. I have it framed and although I don't need the poem to remember all the wonderful times we had and the great lessons he taught me, it serves as a reminder how important this man was to our whole family. I still talk to my Grandfather (Buck) almost daily.

I took my 5 year Grandson to OK on Labor Day last year and took him to the grave site with me, it was the first time I had been back in almost 9 years. He asked me why I had tears. I told him about by Grandfather and how he was his Great Great Grandfather and talked to him about some of the times we had spent together. For some reason this stuck with my Grandson, and he asks me about his Great Great Papa Buck all the time now, and of course I'm glad to share the stories with him.

Return to Top
#382968 - 07/11/05 09:58 PM Re: Post a Kindness
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
It was Halloween a couple of years ago. I had just gotten out of a relationship that took a huge toll on my self-esteem. I was home handing out candy. A little girl and her mother came to the door and when I opened the door the little girl gasped, turned to her mother and said, "Mama, she's pretty!". I dumped about a pound of candy in her bag and went inside and cried!

Return to Top
#382969 - 07/11/05 10:47 PM Re: Post a Kindness
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
My oldest son has been struggling with his bipolar condition lately, again and two good friends have been willing to listen to a worried mother. A very kind BOL'er and another really good friend of mine. They were both there when I needed to vent and give me words of encouragement and I can't tell you how much I appreciated that.

Return to Top
#382970 - 07/12/05 01:43 AM Re: Post a Kindness
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yesterday, I went to dinner at my dad and step-mother's, along with my brother and sister-in-law, and my nephew and his wife. My step-mother (30 years younger than my dad and 2 years older than I) had set up a new croquet set in their wonderfully manicured back yard. Not so unusual except that I can't remember a time in the last 45 years when our family played any outdoor game together. It was a blast, and we all had a wonderful time. What a blessing it was to play a simple game and have a fun afternoon.

Return to Top
#382971 - 07/12/05 02:01 AM Re: Post a Kindness
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
This isn't touching but it was VERY nice. I was shopping one night recently after a long day at work. I left Target and drove home. I pulled into my driveway and saw I didn't have my purse.

I drove several miles back to the store, went in to Customer Service and there was my purse sitting on a shelf! A shopper found it out in the parking lot sitting in a cart, where I had left it. In the purse was my cash, my credit cards, my cell phone and my iPod.

I couldn't believe it! I have no idea who that person was who found it, but I love them!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#382972 - 07/12/05 02:08 AM Re: Post a Kindness
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Ok everybody, you have managed to bring me to tears. Especially Princess Leia.

Return to Top
#382973 - 07/12/05 08:56 AM Re: Post a Kindness
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Can we also post about kindnesses we have done?

I remember waiting in line at a Subway sandwich shop, and there was a woman in line ahead of me. She had a couple of developmentaly disabled adults with her, and I could tell she was some sort of therapist or counselor who was taking them out for the day.

At any rate, she went to pay for the sandwiches for herself and her patients, but her credit or debit card would not go through. She tried one and then another, but they were rejected. She dove into her purse, but could only find about half of what she needed to pay for the purchases. I could see the look of anxiety on her face as her patients would not understand why they couldn't have lunch.

I took out my wallet and paid for the entire order and told her not to worry about it. Her look of relief and the joy on the faces of her patients filled me a lot more than the sandwich did.

Of a kindness to me, the one kindness that I ALWAYS appreciate is when I only have a couple of items at the grocery store, and the "Express" lane is not open, and someone with a basket full of groceries allows me to go in front.

I try and repay that kindness whenever the situation is reversed.

PAY IT FORWARD

Return to Top
#382974 - 07/12/05 03:10 PM Re: Post a Kindness
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Yesterday I came home to find that my boyfriend had come over to my house and done all of my laundry. For no particular reason...just because he loves me. He also had the oil changed in my car (I carpool so I had left the car at home) and got it washed. What a guy...

Return to Top
#382975 - 07/12/05 03:44 PM Re: Post a Kindness
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Someone is running amuck around Cincinnati going to Pizza Huts and buying peoples dinners. Last report says he has done it 10 times over the last 5 weeks, always at a different location.

Return to Top
#382976 - 07/12/05 11:20 PM Re: Post a Kindness
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Quote:

Yesterday I came home to find that my boyfriend had come over to my house and done all of my laundry. For no particular reason...just because he loves me. He also had the oil changed in my car (I carpool so I had left the car at home) and got it washed. What a guy...

I want a boyfriend like yours.

Return to Top
#382977 - 07/12/05 11:31 PM Re: Post a Kindness
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Do you think we could clone that boyfriend with my sweetie? My darling offered me 180,000 miles to send my best friend and myself to Italy last week when we were discussing her health (she is sick and has a list of things she wants to do before she can't anymore).

But he really stinks at laundry....heh heh

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#382978 - 07/12/05 11:44 PM Re: Post a Kindness
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
You know...I just have to take a moment and reflect on how truly lucky I am. Sometimes my honey irritates the hell out of me, and we battle about lots of things...but there is no doubt that he loves me with all his heart! He tries hard to show me in small ways, and I need to remember to do the same.

Dawnie - clone them together...sounds like a great idea!!

Return to Top
#382979 - 07/12/05 11:47 PM Re: Post a Kindness
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
A few months ago my car broke down. (timing belt snapped causing 3 bad pistons 5 broken valves and 4 bent valves) Anyhoo my neighbor has been coming over every weekend to help me tear apart the engine and rebuild it. All we're waiting on now are some parts that had to be ordered from Bums Ville Korea. I have tried to pay him time and time again for all of his help, but he keeps insisting that is what neighbors are for. So instead of spending about 3 grand for the dealership to rebuild the engine, I have only spent a few hundred dollars.

(Just a little hint, if a mechanic suggests getting your timing belt replaced, DO IT! The alterative is a lot worse.)

Return to Top
#382980 - 07/13/05 04:00 AM Re: Post a Kindness
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
I was being kind by doing yardwork for my parents - they are in their 80s - I spent over 2 hours cleaning the eaves and gutters around the house, cutting down low-hanging limbs, climbing up and down the ladder. As you know, I fell from that ladder and was badly injured - and spent 4 months in the hospital.

The real kindness came from my parents, who drove in crazy traffic every single day to come visit me at the hospital and tend to my needs. In the beginning, Mom fed me, combed my hair, brushed (and flossed) my teeth, washed my face, put lotion on my swollen and chapped feet, washed my dry skin, put a new pair of contacts in my eyes, held my hands and wiped the tears from my eyes during wound care, and showed every kindness a mother could. (The list is much longer.)

I cannot imagine what my time in the hospital would have been like without my parents there. Now that I'm home (at their home), they hooked me up to the internet so I can communicate with BOL-land. They provide my meals, do my laundry, and tend to my other needs, and they drive me to therapy three times a week. The word "Kindness" somehow doesn't begin to cover what they have done and are doing for me. I know it's love. But I also know that all parents who love their children are not always kind. I am so fortunate to have truly KIND parents.

Return to Top
#382981 - 07/13/05 04:37 AM Re: Post a Kindness
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
All of these stories reminded me of something that happened when my daughter was in college. It should make some of you parents feel better about the world.

My daughter and her roommate went to Las Vegal for spring break. They wanted to go to a club and researched the various options. One really nice one was reviewed as "snobby" so they wrote that off and picked one that was supposedly more casual.

They got a cab at the hotel. The driver started to drive away and asked them where they wanted to go - they told him. He pulled over and turned around. He said "You look like very nice young ladies. I have daughters a little older than you and I don't let them go to that club. I won't drive you there. It isn't a nice place."

They asked where they should go and he mentioned the "snobby" club. They expressed concern that they weren't dressed correctly. He told them he would take them to the club, if the doorman said they weren't dressed well enough (the driver said they were) he would drive them back to their hotel and wait while they changed!

They got to the club. As they got out he called the doorman over. The driver told the doorman that the girls needed to know if they looked good enough to get in. He said to them "give him a twirl"!

They were accepted at the club and the driver left (after they gave him a really big tip)! I laughed when they told me but I was also glad that there are people out there who do care about our kids!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#382982 - 07/13/05 11:26 AM Re: Post a Kindness
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Gosh MT first thing I'm doing at work is crying because of you and your parents.
Good good stories of kindness - it's nice to read about them.
I always let people go before me when I have a shopping cart full- and I've been on the other end when people let me go first when I have a couple of items. It is a nice feeling. But I do it because that's the way I am.
I do appreciate my hubby- he always has my jeep cleaned, he changes the oil and keeps it in tip top shape. He does my mowing (by hand) when he knows it might rain or we have a softball game that night. He also cleans toilets so yea he's a good guy.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2