Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#383757 - 07/08/05 10:09 PM Id on back of checks
DebbieC Offline
Owensboro, KY USA
We have had a few folks complain because we are writing their ID information on the back of a check we cash for them. The concern is that they do not want the party that wrote them the check to have their ID information. I
think a number of people are very concerned about identify theft. I'm wondering, what other financial institution do to record ID information for check cashing if they do not put it on the back of the check. I would have concerns that I could not link it back to the individual check if for legal reasons I would need to support my checking ID.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#383758 - 07/08/05 10:24 PM Re: Id on back of checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about putting the ID on the corresponding document (cash out or deposit ticket)? That's what we do. It stays in house and it has proof and transaction numbers on it that you can link to the check if you need to.

Return to Top
#383759 - 07/08/05 10:52 PM Re: Id on back of checks
JWeiss Offline
san antonio, tx
Check with your local DA's office Hot Check division. Sometimes the DA's office won't accept them if you have to turn them over without ID on the check. If that's the case you can always use them for the reason of placing the info on the check.

Return to Top
#383760 - 07/11/05 02:00 PM Re: Id on back of checks
NY2004 Offline
Some banks have an internal id system. Each customer is assigned an id number and this is what is used on the back of checks.

Return to Top
#383761 - 07/11/05 03:29 PM Re: Id on back of checks
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We still write on front of check, has not been an issue here yet. When cashing a check, there's no other internal document we can write it on. Tell the customer to deposit it if they're concerned.

Return to Top